Topic: Waiting for Test Results? Start Here.

Forum: Waiting for Test Results — We know, waiting is VERY difficult but we're here for you.

Posted on: Sep 2, 2011 01:46AM - edited Jan 16, 2015 08:28PM by moderators

Posted on: Sep 2, 2011 01:46AM - edited Jan 16, 2015 08:28PM by moderators

moderators wrote:

Often, the hardest part of screening and testing isn't undergoing the tests themselves, but WAITING for results to come back. If you're like most people, you will want your test results as soon as possible.

Read here for steps you can take to feel more in control of the process:

In addition, there is a thread on Abbreviations to help you follow discussions going on in the community.

And If you've been diagnosed with breast cancer and are waiting for test results about your diagnosis, connect with others in the Breastcancer.org Discussion Board forum Diagnosed and Waiting for Test Results.

We hope this helps!

--The Mods

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/... Surgery 5/10/2022

Page 1 of 28 (278 results)

Oct 11, 2011 09:12AM wallycat wrote:

It would be so wonderful if doctors actually REALIZED that their patients are stressing.

To make someone wait and wait and wait and not return calls for ANY test should be

humilating and forbidden.

just sharing my angst and trying to understand why doctors think they are smart when they are so clueless about obvious patient issues.

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Oct 25, 2011 08:50AM mawhinney wrote:

I have learned to be proactive. When tests are ordered, I have learned to ask how soon the results will be available and when and how will I be notified of the results. I relate that I want a written copy of the report for my files. I also state that it is alright to phone me with the results.

Dx 5/18/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 26, 2011 01:38PM renaedarlene wrote:

So I had a diagnostic mammogram and an ultrasound. Was told I had to have a biopsy and it is scheduled for next week.  I have a definite tumor.  My general practitioner is out this week...how do I get a copy of the actual report? Should the radiologist have supplied me with one? I am left with too many questions and no paperwork. What's the protocol here? Help! Thank you. Renae

Renae Wilber Dx 11/7/2011, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 26, 2011 10:23PM Megadotz wrote:

Call where you had the scans done and ask for a copy of your reports.  If there's a procedure, they can let you know what it is.  When you go in for the biopsy let them know that you want a copy of the results and ask when and how you'll be notified. 

Here's hoping for B9 results.

Meg

Dx 3/12/2009, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 27, 2011 03:36AM renaedarlene wrote:

Thank you, this is great help...I'm playing mental guessing games trying to decipher their words - what did they mean "At least you caught it early" and "You are where you're supposed to be" and "You need to schedule a biopsy" - Did they see cancer on the mammo? To much guessing...I need to see the report myself to make sense of it rather than playing a guessing game in my head.  Thanks!

Oct 27, 2011 05:02AM - edited Oct 27, 2011 05:03AM by LisaAlissa

Remaedarlene,

I can't answer the "big question" for you, but I can tell you that "You need to schedule a biopsy" doesn't mean they "saw cancer."  Only a pathologist (looking at cells) can tell you for sure that it's cancer.  "You need to schedule a biopsy" just means that they see something suspicious, so that they can't screen cancer out.  The next step in the screening process is a biopsy, and that's what a BIRADs 4 or 5 means. When you see the report, I suspect that's all you'll see.

And in fact, of people in the screening process (where you are now) who have biopsies, 80% have benign results.  So your chances of having cancer screened out are still excellent!

I know that it's difficult to stay where you are in the process, but if you can, don't project yourself into "the 20%."  

HTH,

LisaAlissa 

Oct 27, 2011 08:15AM renaedarlene wrote:

Thanks LisaAllisa,

Yes, I'm driving myself crazy. Mainly because it's not a cyst, it's a tumor. Today, I inspected my breasts and can't believe I didn't notice that my right nipple was pointing down.  The weight of the tumor is pulling down my boob! My God, how could I not notice?

I'm just trying to stay busy with chores, etc., the obsessiveness seems to come and go.

Thank you!

Renae

Jan 26, 2012 08:59PM alphaomega wrote:

Tomorrow is my lumpectomy and I'm scared. Mysister was just diagnosed with BC about 2 months ago and is having a double mas. in 2 weeks. I have a mass about 2 cm.which he is removing andsending to lab for testing. I asked my chances that it is cancer and he said 50/50. I am hoping it is not. Anxiety level is high.

Mar 9, 2012 12:43AM stacie wrote:

My surgery was Monday and my path report is due in anytime. I already knoe one swollen node was cancerous because they did a frozen section during my surgery rhen an AND was performed. The BS said the other nodes all looked healthy. I am nervous about what i will learn about the cancer and how many nodes are cancerous.

Dx 2/24/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 2/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 13, 2012 06:04AM snassar wrote:

Stacie I hope everything is going okay.  I am new to this list. today was Ultrasound after 2 mammograms. They don't tell you everything except Radiologist will contact my Dr. and she will contact me. The woman doing the ultrasound wasn't too friendly (should be a requirement in that job). I asked how long before I hear anything and she said allow a week. Hope everything is going okay for you.

Page 1 of 28 (278 results)

Scroll to top button