Log in to post a reply
May 19, 2017 10:19AM
I've had bleeding from my nipple for the past 3 weeks.
Background: I've been having some noticeable breast "weirdness" since this past December or January. Lots of breast pain in my right breast, achey and stabbing at times. I never felt a lump, but parts of my breast tissue just felt "Off". Like it felt like normal tissue, but like someone had gone in and rearranged the inside of my breast, if that makes any sense. I also had some yellow discharge from my right nipple. There was a little from the left as well, but the right was much more "productive". I saw a breast specialist in March since my issues didn't seem to wax and wane with my cycle. I had an ultrasound (I'm 28) and nothing at all was seen to indicate a source of my pain or to explain why my breasts felt different. The doctor told me I just have fibrocystic breasts, not to express any discharge, and cut back on dairy, caffeine, and alcohol.
Noticing the Bleeding: On April 30 2017, I went to put on my bra and saw a small bloodstain on the inside of the right cup. It wasn't big at all. It was roughly around where my nipple laid in the bra, so I tossed aside my doctor's orders to not express and BAM. Blood. Not a lot - like a small/medium drop from an eyedropper (best analogy, sorry). I wiped it off and squeezed it again, hoping it was just a fluke, and more blood came out. My breast was also incredibly painful - it felt bruised all over, and it hurt to raise my arm over my head.
I was seen very quickly at the breast center, where they put me through a Mammo, 3D Mammo, and an ultrasound, and they swabbed the discharge for bacteria. Mastitis was ruled out, ultrasound still didn't see anything, and because I'm so young, my breasts are very dense and nothing was seen on mammography. My breast specialist luckily isn't letting this slip away from us and ordered an MRI, which I just had a couple days ago - 2 weeks after being seen at the breast center. I'm still waiting for the results, and I have an appointment with a breast surgeon next week. My doctor told me "Even if the MRI is clear, we'll want a biopsy, either core or excisional, so you're seeing a surgeon. Let's just hope that the MRI DOES show something so we'll know what specifically we're chasing after."
So that's where I am right now - waiting and hoping that my MRI comes back showing something. A clear MRI is not going to be reassuring in this case. I honestly don't care WHAT it shows. I just want to know why my breast is bleeding. If it turns out to be cancer, then we'll deal with it when that diagnosis comes. But right now my care team and I only care about finding the source of the bleeding first and foremost.