We are 224,987 members in 82 forums discussing 158,057 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Advocate for access to better mammograms!

Forum: Waiting for Test Results —

For members not diagnosed with breast cancer, but waiting for test results:  Biopsy, mammogram, ultrasound, or other screening tests. Waiting is VERY difficult but remember...

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength." -- Corrie Ten Boom

Posted on: Sep 3, 2015 04:54PM - edited Sep 24, 2015 04:19PM by Moderators

Moderators wrote:

An opportunity to advocate for access to better mammograms*

In 2011, the FDA approved Hologic's 3D MAMMOGRAPHYTM exam. Clinical studies with over 750,000 women have proven 3D MAMMOGRAPHYTM exams are more effective versus traditional 2D mammography exams at detecting invasive breast cancers, as well as reducing callbacks.1,2 This means an earlier diagnosis for some women, while reducing the stress and anxiety for others.1,3

Yet, many women don't know about these more accurate mammograms, and even more won't have access to them until breast screening centers offer them.1*

Hologic, the makers of the GeniusTM 3D MAMMOGRAPHYTM exam, approached Breastcancer.org to help raise awareness about the availability of this clinically proven technology. They want to encourage women to get involved and let their breast screening centers know that they want this technology accessible to them and the other women in their lives.

If you agree, you can get involved. Here's how:

• Visit MyGenius3D.com and find out if your facility has this advanced technology by typing in your ZIP code.
  • If your facility doesn't, let them know you want them to offer it. The site includes each facility's contact information.
  • You can also post here to raise your voice... even if your facility has it. In support of our work at Breastcancer.org, Hologic will be donating $10,000.

Thank you on behalf of all the women who deserve this!

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 1 of 1 (10 results)

Posts 1 - 10 (10 total)

Jan 28, 2016 11:28PM InStitches wrote:

I love the 3 D Digital mammograms. My DCIS and LCIS would not have been found without it! I have dense breast tissue and my problem showed up as architectural distortion on only one view. The radiologist said it would not have been detected on the the regular digital mammogram. Thank you Hologic! You may well have saved my life

Surgery 5/21/2015 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 5/29/2015, LCIS, Left, 1cm Dx 5/29/2015, DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+ Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy

Jun 15, 2016 02:28PM Birdsandtrees wrote:

Seriously, 3D Mammograms need to be offered as widely as possible! I would travel a day or more to get one if I had to, rather than waste time and money on a yearly 2D Digital. My mom had BC so I went for my 2D every year since 40. Nothing ever showed up as being irregular. This year I missed my usual mammo because of an injury. When I went to my PC she suggested trying the 3D at her new women's health clinic. Thank goodness things worked out this way!! The 3D picked up a tiny lesion of combined cribiform DCIS with early tubular carcinoma starting to emerge. The radiologist said he would "never" have been able to see this so early on 2D and this was probably growing for years and not able to be visualized on 2D! I am so thankful and grateful for this technology. I have since had an ultrasound, core biopsy, bilateral MRI, lumpectomy and sentinel node removal. Thankfully, nothing else is there nor has this seemed to have spread and the less than 5 mm lesion is gone with large clear margins! I do not think I would have been so lucky, I know I wouldn't, if I hadn't switched to the center with the 3D Mammo machine! Will be going there every year now. I'm on AI and short-run of radiation. No chemo! Thank goodness! Another benefit of catching it early! Thank you, Hologic!! and my great doctors, of course!

Jun 22, 2016 07:39AM - edited Jun 22, 2016 07:40AM by AnxietyAnne

i have my mammogram scheduled for today at my local clinic. I am going to reschedule. I am going to the facility in my area that has this. It's the same place I would go if I get a callback to get a diagnostic mammogram.

Jul 5, 2016 08:51AM Birdsandtrees wrote:

I hope everything went well for you at your 3D mammo! At least you know you are doing the very best thing you can for yourself by switching!

Oct 1, 2016 11:25AM keepthefaith611 wrote:

I had my first 3D mamo 1.5 weeks ago and while I always have to have an U/S due to density, I am grateful for the new technology. It cost me $65 as my insurance doesn't cover 3D so I had to pay the difference of 2D/3D insurance cost but worth every penny.

What bugs me is I have good insurance. Is the 3D available for those who don't have insurance or can't put $65 on a credit card (we too live paycheck to paycheck so $65 hurts but it was worth cutting out XYZ to pay that $65)!

God Bless!

Jul 28, 2017 01:37PM Shellsatthebeach wrote:

I always had my yearly mammograms. Unfortunately, it did not pick up on my BC at an early stage. My March 2016 results showed normal results. My March 2017 showed advanced IDC. It has gone into many lymph nodes.

Dx 3/2017, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+, HER2- Surgery 8/28/2017 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy: Left Dx 9/15/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 6/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 9/24/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 10/17/2017 Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxotere)

Nov 10, 2017 01:45AM GreenEyes81 wrote:

3D may as well saved my life as well. I have had two doctors tell me the lumps would not hand been found with 2d. At 36 years of age, who knows what it would have at 40.

Dx 7/21/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/9/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right Dx 4/18/2018, DCIS/IDC, Right, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/2/2018 Radiation Therapy 5/27/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Oct 31, 2018 08:53AM Cherryi3 wrote:

My 2D screening revealed a partially obscured cyst. Was sent for 3D diagnostic which confirmed a benign cyst but surprise surprise! Hiding in that dense tissue was IDC. Everyone should have access to 3D!

Dx 10/1/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/21/2018 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Oct 31, 2018 11:28AM JoE777 wrote:

I had a visible lump that was not detected with a screening mammogram. Went another year.

Dx 2/2012, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, metastasized to bone, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/4/2012 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy 1/8/2018 Femara (letrozole) Dx 2/2018, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy Kisqali Chemotherapy Other Radiation Therapy External: Bone Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Aug 7, 2019 05:20PM Gussy wrote:

I'm not sure if 3D would have worked for me. My tumor could not be seen on Mammo or US. Only MRI.

Page 1 of 1 (10 results)