We are 193,623 members in 81 forums discussing 143,538 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Waiting for Test Results → Topic: URGENT HELP! Could this be cancer or just a cyst??

Topic: URGENT HELP! Could this be cancer or just a cyst??

Forum: Waiting for Test Results —

For members not diagnosed with breast cancer, but waiting for test results:  Biopsy, mammogram, ultrasound, or other screening tests. Waiting is VERY difficult but remember...

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength." -- Corrie Ten Boom

Posted on: Aug 12, 2017 11:27AM

dha1 wrote:

I first want to start off with saying I'm only just 20 years old and I'm seriously scared even though I know it's extremely rare to actually have breast cancer. Few days ago my mother noticed a 'firm' side on my breast (lump). We went to the doctor the day after thinking it was nothing and he told me I needed to go do an ultra sound once that was done the same second this other doctor told me I must go to the other room and get a mammography.

I've only just collected the x-ray and ultra sound images and a report describing what's appeared on these images. The problem now is I travelled (to different country) and it will be a while till I can see a doctor who can tell me what this report means.

Could anyone please tell me what this report means!!

"-Breast parenchymal pattern is of semi-dense variety category C.

Left upper outer quadrant revealed a dense sizable mass with ramified outline causing skin retraction. it is accompanied by pleomorphic calcification extending beyond the mass anteriorly indicating ductal extension.

ultrasound of same area axis of 3 o'clock revealing a sizable low echogenic mass with irregular outline measuring 4 x 2 cm.

Ultrasound revealing also at axis of 12 o'clock multiple hypoechoic masses averaging 1 x 1 cm two of them harbouring calcifications. Left axilla revealing enlarged node with thick cortex with same calcification within.

-Ultrasound right breast revealed homogeneous distribution of fat and fibro-glandular tissue

Conclusion: multifocal malignant masses with calcification with enlarged axillary node of malignant features as well"

Any advice appreciated!!

Page 1 of 1 (13 results)

Posts 1 - 13 (13 total)

Aug 12, 2017 01:53PM Icietla wrote:

Hi dha1, and welcome to BCO, the best place on the internet for information, understanding, and support about breast concerns. We are very sorry about the changes of concern that have brought you here, but we are glad you found us. We are a true Community of Brothers and Sisters who understand and care. We know this is a very scary time for you.

Keep mindful that only a Pathology Laboratory examination of biopsied tissue can conclusively diagnose or rule out disease. Is there any practical way for you to get back soon to your home Country? or will your insurance cover further evaluation at your present location? Perhaps your Country's diplomatic service there can help arrange for your return home?

Dx 2/12/2016, ILC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/19/2016 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2016 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 4/25/2016 Prophylactic ovary removal

Aug 12, 2017 02:27PM Icietla wrote:

I expect that other members will be along before much longer. There is usually less traffic here during late nights, Holidays, and weekends on the Western Hemisphere time.

Dx 2/12/2016, ILC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/19/2016 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2016 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 4/25/2016 Prophylactic ovary removal

Aug 12, 2017 06:06PM NotVeryBrave wrote:

Anything like this would be very concerning to anyone. Possibly more so when you are only 20 years old. While it is rare for someone so young to have cancer, it isn't unheard of.

I would try to expedite getting an appt with a doctor to review these findings - preferably a breast surgeon. Did the radiologist recommend a biopsy? That is the only definite way to get an answer.

Try not to stress out too much, but do follow up on this testing. Take care.

TCHP x 6 rounds - Complete Pathological Response! Still have to finish the year of Herceptin ... Dx 11/21/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 12/19/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2016 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 12/19/2016 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 5/9/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 9/8/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Aug 12, 2017 06:11PM NotVeryBrave wrote:

I just saw your title for this post. I would be concerned about the terms "irregular" and "calcifications" and "malignant" as well. Not to scare you, but I don't think those terms are used with cysts.

TCHP x 6 rounds - Complete Pathological Response! Still have to finish the year of Herceptin ... Dx 11/21/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 12/19/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2016 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 12/19/2016 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 5/9/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 9/8/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Aug 12, 2017 08:28PM Mucki1991 wrote:

if the conclusion you posted is from your images you need to follow up with your Dr for further testing most likely. It's not a medical emergency but I would not put it off more than a couple of weeks.

Best wishes

Dx 5/5/2017, ILC/IDC/IDC: Papillary, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/14/2017 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 8/22/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Aug 12, 2017 08:29PM djmammo wrote:

dha1

After your imaging studies that day did the doctor not come in and tell you what the findings were? How long was it between the day you had your imaging and the day you left the country? Did anyone call you to explain your report to you? Arrange for a biopsy? Are there no recommendations contained in that report? Were they done in the U.S. or elsewhere?

How long will you be away? If more than a week I would call your doctor from wherever you are and ask them what their plan is. From the sound of the report the radiologist feels the findings are highly suspicious for breast cancer. Call a relative and have them call your doctor's office if necessary.

Of course you will need a biopsy to confirm the diagnosis and an appointment with a surgeon if and when that comes back abnormal. Good luck.

Board Certified Diagnostic Radiologist specializing in Breast Imaging helping members understand their health care provider's reports and recommendations.

Aug 12, 2017 11:40PM dha1 wrote:

Hello everyone, thank you all for your reply's I too find it very concerning because of some key words. Now I understand that to confirm I need biopsy, which I hopefully will try to get to as fast as I can possible in the US.

As for my travels, it's a complicated mess because I live somewhere with my family and my home country is a different place as well as where I go to college to is a third place (the US). So going from one place to another is common in the summer it was just luck that we discovered all this one day before my travel day to the country I live from my home country, which is why its messy.

Many of you are asking why I didn't get a doctor to explain to me the results its complicated but in my home country the medical system is very different at the time of this check-up and scans I had to go from one hospital to another and we have 'walk in' systems so these doctors are not ones that know me in any way and they also are not in the same hospitals as each other, I also had no appointments I would wait for when one was free (which is exhausting) at the time me and my family assumed it was nothing and when we got the ultra sound and mammograph results they told us to go to another clinic and talk to the doctor who would explain everything.

Problem is when we got there they told us he was mid-way through surgery somewhere else and it would be a minimum of 2 hours before we could even have the chance to wait (again these are all walk ins) and mind you the place was extremely full by then I was so tired and hadn't slept much the night before so I decided not to wait and go home to pack and travel thinking it was going to be nothing and after reading the results I got very scared.

Anyways I was hoping I was wrong and just simply freaking out for nothing which I why I decided to ask here, but after seeing all the replies I've defiantly taken this seriously and because of that I was just able to expedite an appointment and will see a doctor soon (before I travel to the US).

Thank you all for everything.

Aug 14, 2017 09:52AM MTwoman wrote:

I am glad to hear that you'll get follow up soon. The wording in your report is also concerning to me. Please do let us know what happens and what we can do to help!

Dx 12/10/2002, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/20/2002 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 12/23/2003 Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Surgery Reconstruction (right): Saline implant Surgery Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery Mastectomy: Right

Aug 18, 2017 06:29AM dha1 wrote:

Hello,

I've finally gotten back from the biopsy reports and they have confirmed its cancer its very shocking for me now but i think ill be fine. My next steps are a few more tests about my node (MRI CT etc) and then go to america and continue to start treatments and surgery.

Thank you guys for all your help just thought i should update you all on the results.

-Dina

Aug 18, 2017 07:39AM MTwoman wrote:

I am so sorry to hear you've gotten confirmation that you have breast cancer Dina! After they finish the rest of your scans, coupled with your pathology, they'll have a much better idea of what treatment recommendations to make. I know this must be overwhelming right now. Do you have a good support system at school? Friends, or family? They have really helpful people, typically called nurse navigators, at most treatment centers. They can help explain things and support you as well.

There is a Young and diagnosed with bc thread on these boards, to connect you with other young women, but I can't find it right now to give you the link! SORRY! Maybe someone else can find it, or I'll keep looking and pop back in when I have it.

You can do this! We'll help you. Sending you warm thoughts and gentle ((hugs))

Dx 12/10/2002, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/20/2002 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 12/23/2003 Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Surgery Reconstruction (right): Saline implant Surgery Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery Mastectomy: Right

Aug 18, 2017 09:12AM NotVeryBrave wrote:

Thanks for the update, Dina. I do worry about people on these boards.

You sound pretty upbeat. I hope the process will go smoothly for you.

Best of luck!

Aug 19, 2017 02:43PM beach2beach wrote:

Sorry that you are here Dina and at such a young age. Please keep us posted. I wish you the best

Dx 7/28/2017, LCIS/DCIS/ILC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/7/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 9/12/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Aug 19, 2017 04:55PM dha1 wrote:

Thank you all for your loving words I really do appreciate it, I am currently staying strong, focusing on the next steps and moving on.

I will travel to the US with my family in a day and will continue all treatment and research there. Right now I'm questioning if I should continue to my collage classes that start early September or skip the quarter to focus on treatments.

For now all I am focusing on is my health and as for help and supportive communities I don't know any I've only just started the discovery of a lump 12 days ago so I am not as informed but I would like to learn. The young women section seems very interesting as my age is so uncommon (I mean I just turned 20 a little over a month ago)

Anyways thank you so much everyone your kinda words really help me.

Page 1 of 1 (13 results)