We are 224,910 members in 82 forums discussing 158,006 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Bloody discharge, dilated duct

Forum: Waiting for Test Results —

For members not diagnosed with breast cancer, but waiting for test results:  Biopsy, mammogram, ultrasound, or other screening tests. Waiting is VERY difficult but remember...

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength." -- Corrie Ten Boom

Posted on: Nov 2, 2019 07:54PM - edited Nov 2, 2019 08:07PM by kimever

kimever wrote:

About 10 days ago I noticed a tingling and pain in my nipple and a slight tenderness of my right breast. I really didn't think anything about it, but then 2 days later I had bloody discharge from the nipple. On the 2nd day of bloody discharge I called my doctor. She saw me ASAP and confirmed, yes I had a bloody discharge. She immediately ordered a mammogram and ultrasound.

No mass noticed, but note of dilated duct and "debris" as explained to me by the radiologist. He ordered a Ultra Sound needle biopsy. Performed 2 days ago. His report on biopsy states: "Fragments of benign mammary parenchyma with ectatic duct". Despite the benign status and no mass, just fragments, he arranged for consult with surgeon to remove duct, to make sure there wasn't something there.

It's like a roller-coaster - good news bad news is frustrating. What exactly does a dilated duct mean and what could cause the bleeding nipples? Which by the way seems to have stopped. I had maybe a week of bleeding nipples, which really wasn't much blood, but enough to stain my bra and require me to put a band aid over my nipple, so I wouldn't stain all my bras.

I agreed to meet with the surgeon, but why remove a duct that isn't showing anything except a little inflammation and cellular debris? I wonder should I insist on an MRI, or another diagnostic test before I let them cut into my breast and remove a duct? Or, do I wait and reevaluate in 6 months to see if it resolves on it's own. Or, am I playing with fire? It seems that the possibility is a papilloma, which just isn't big enough to be seen on ultrasound. Which as far as I can determine with internet search isn't a concern for cancer, nor does it turn into cancer, or increase your risks. So, why do we remove them in the first place, especially if you can't even see mine? Plus, why go digging for something that no one can even see, and with the needle biopsy showing no cancer cells? Should I ask for an MRI, or another diagnostic test?

I guess I'm just cautious, don't want anyone cutting into me, without a confirmed reason. Any thoughts input, or advice greatly appreciated. I see the surgeon on Tuesday and would love to talk intelligently about my options. Thank you

Log in to post a reply