We are 224,828 members in 82 forums discussing 157,962 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: ultrasound biopsy

Forum: Waiting for Test Results —

For members not diagnosed with breast cancer, but waiting for test results:  Biopsy, mammogram, ultrasound, or other screening tests. Waiting is VERY difficult but remember...

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength." -- Corrie Ten Boom

Posted on: Nov 5, 2019 05:17AM

cbass1313 wrote:

Can my husband come in the room with me?

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Nov 5, 2019 08:08AM SimoneRC wrote:

I went by myself the first time. The second time husband was with me. He was allowed in for the “pre-game" but not for the procedure. And, he is an MD. It is a small space. It is dark. It is pretty quick.

In my two experiences, I was in a gown, undressed from waist up. Arm out of gown on ultrasound side. Laying on side with wedge pillow behind. Arm above head. A few pretty much pain free injections of lidocaine. Then the gel is applied and ultrasound done. The radiologist explains that there will be a loud snap, kind of like a nail gun, as the biopsies are done. Several samples are taken. Tech holds pressure on the site for a bit after. Then you get dressed and go. They gave me little ice packs both times. For me, both times it was quick, easy, pain free. The waiting afterward sucked way more!

Good luck, cbass1313! Let us know how it goes!

ATM Gene Mutation, Deletion. IDC w/Lobular Features and Focal Mucinous Features. Pre Pectoral Reconstruction. Hysterectomy Surgery 4/6/2018 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 5/5/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 7/3/2018 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 4/29/2019 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 4/29/2019 Prophylactic ovary removal Surgery 8/5/2019 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting

Nov 5, 2019 08:15AM Jazz2280 wrote:

Yes definitely! The only thing my husband hasn't been able to be the room with me for is the mammogram and MRI. My husband has been to all my ultrasounds and ultrasound led biopsy's.

Nov 5, 2019 08:20AM MelissaDallas wrote:

My facility doesn't let anyone come in to the procedure rooms.

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Nov 5, 2019 09:27AM Ingerp wrote:

My facility has always had this woman whose job is really just to hold your hand/pat your back/whatever. Not exactly sure what her job title is (Patient Something), and she drives some people a little crazy, but my husband never goes to my appointments with me. I prefer to do this on my own.

Dx 3/11/2016, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 3/22/2016 Lumpectomy Surgery 4/19/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/17/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 3/2/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 3/12/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Targeted Therapy 5/17/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 5/17/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 8/19/2018 Whole-breast: Breast

Nov 5, 2019 11:17AM gb2115 wrote:

I was on my own for my biopsies, but the nurse that was assisting was super nice and held my hand. The ultrasound one really wasn't that bad.

Dx IDC in October 2016, stage 2A, 1.2 cm ER/PR+ Her2-, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes. Mammaprint low risk luminal A, Lumpectomy + radiation + tamoxifen. Age 38 at diagnosis.

Nov 5, 2019 11:22AM - edited Nov 5, 2019 11:23AM by cbass1313

Thanks for all the replies, I just got back and my husband did not go in. It did not hurt at all YAY! Results friday so that is pretty quick. Thanks again for answering my question.

Nov 10, 2019 05:34PM Mamma_Cyab wrote:

50 years old. Been getting mammos every 1-2 years since 40.

Last week's showed "asymmetry in left breast compared to prior imaging". A spot compression mammo (tomosynthesis) was ordered. Radiologist read on-site and ordered a sonogram. Sonogram was done and categorized as a BI-RADS 4. I didn't ask if it was a BI-RADS 4a, 4b, or 4c. They have now ordered a Vacuum assisted breast biopsy (VABB) and I am freaking out! They didn't see a clearly-defined mass, per se, but they said that the breast tissue had changed and become more dense and looked different than previous mammos and sonograms.

I am so fearful and confused. Anyone had something like this happen? . . . . . . what happened next? . . . . . and what were the results? Any suggestions? Thank you!

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)