Join Us

We are 216,859 members in 84 forums discussing 160,262 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Excisional biopsy today

Forum: Waiting for Test Results —

For members not diagnosed with breast cancer, but waiting for test results:  Biopsy, mammogram, ultrasound, or other screening tests. Waiting is VERY difficult but remember...

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength." -- Corrie Ten Boom

Posted on: Nov 15, 2019 11:57PM

MamaAvery wrote:

I had my lump removed today. Breast surgeon said it looked nice and smooth, so that’s a plus I guess. By the end of next week I should know for sure if it was just a regular Fibroadenoma or if it was a phyllodes. Fingers crossed it is just the FA. Thanks to the Tylenol 3, I am in significantly less pain that I was for my needle core biopsy.

Surgery has changed a lot in the last 13 years. I wore a paper gown that had a hose attached that blew warm or cold air. I felt like I was hooked to a vacuum. Haha!

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Nov 16, 2019 08:01AM HopeWins wrote:

good luck MamaAvery! For what it's worth I thought the excisional biopsy was much less painful than the stereotactic biopsy. I never ended up taking any pain medication after my excisional. I don't know why, but it was just much less traumatic than the needle.

Nov 16, 2019 08:01AM HopeWins wrote:

good luck MamaAvery! For what it's worth I thought the excisional biopsy was much less painful than the stereotactic biopsy. I never ended up taking any pain medication after my excisional. I don't know why, but it was just much less traumatic than the needle.

Nov 21, 2019 02:18PM trippinplus1 wrote:

Hi MamaAvery- I just got home from receiving my results from my stereotactic biopsy. The 30mm architectural distortion that was biopsied came back benign but they now want to remove it to test it more. This large distortion wasn't on last year's mammo which is a little disturbing to me. Anyway, I would like more details on you story to see if it is similar to mine. I am making myself crazy over here.

Biopsy also said: Fibrocystic Changes with a bibroadenomatioid pattern including fibrosis and adenosis.

Nov 21, 2019 02:24PM MamaAvery wrote:

hey there trippinplus1-

I had my excision last week Friday. It actually was less painful than my biopsy and recovery hasn’t been bad at all. I have super small breasts though and the FA was close to the surface, so I think that helped with it being an easy surgery.

Basically, I had a lump for many years. All my doctors said it was a Fibroadenoma based on how it felt/behaved and that it was fine. I asked this year in September for it to be removed bc it was increasingly painful and seemed to be getting larger. That’s when my current OB changed his tune about it and sent me for testing.

Imaging was consistent for FA, but biopsy was recommended due to the pain/growth/and size of the FA. Also, I learned I would need that done to see the breast surgeon anyway. Here, they typically don’t do surgery without a biopsy to have an idea of what is going on inside.

Biopsy came back as FA also. I was referred to the breast surgeon. She agreed to remove due to the borderline size (it was nearing the size they recommended removal) and due to the pain/impact it had in my life. There was so concern it could have been phyllodes, due to some of my symptoms and the fact that biopsy typically can be wrong 35% of the time for FA vs phyllodes.

Anyway, my path results were in this week and it all tested out to be a benign Fibroadenoma.

I hope all goes well for you!

Nov 21, 2019 02:45PM trippinplus1 wrote:

Thank you so much for your feedback! I have never heard of phyllodes but after reading how fast it grows it made me wonder since mine has grown quickly (in my opinion). I have big boobs and did not feel anything.... It was found on my yearly mammogram.

Nov 21, 2019 02:51PM MamaAvery wrote:

you’re welcome! I hope it is not a phyllodes. It helped me to remember that those are extremely rare, and even more rare are phyllodes that are borderline or malignant.

Nov 21, 2019 03:30PM trippinplus1 wrote:

That is very promising to hear!

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)