Join Us

We are 217,544 members in 84 forums discussing 160,622 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Mammo and Ultrasound results I do not quite understand

Forum: Waiting for Test Results —

For members not diagnosed with breast cancer, but waiting for test results:  Biopsy, mammogram, ultrasound, or other screening tests. Waiting is VERY difficult but remember...

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength." -- Corrie Ten Boom

Posted on: Jan 31, 2020 03:55PM

Delta wrote:

Hi! One week ago I found a few drops of blood on my bra. I went in to the doctor and scheduled a mammo and ultrasound, which took place yesterday. Leading up to yesterday's appointment I was a complete wreck. I am 40 with two small children and, as I am sure you can all understand, the uncertainty about all of this and the possibility of a cancer diagnosis weighs heavily on my mind.

After yesterday, I actually felt a lot better. The doctor mentioned a possible intraductal papilloma and I was relieved...That was until I saw the report today that has BIRADS 4. Now I am back in panic mode.

Does anyone have any insight? Do intraductal papilloma usually warrant at Birads4 rating?

Here are the reports from the US and Mammogram.

1. 10 mm hypoechoic mass in the right subareolar region at 7:00.

Assessment: Right breast: BI-RADS Category 4, suspicious abnormality. Biopsy is recommended in the absence of clinical contraindication.

Recommendation: Ultrasound guided cyst aspiration with possible biopsy. Findings and recommendations were discussed with the patient who was scheduled for the procedure

Focal asymmetry in the right subareolar region shown on subsequent ultrasound to represent a prominent duct versus solid mass.

Assessment: Bilateral Breasts: BI-RADS category 4, suspicious abnormality. Biopsy should be considered in the absence of clinical contraindication.

Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Log in to post a reply

Jan 31, 2020 04:47PM MinusTwo wrote:

Delta - there is a wonderful doc who helps us with interpreting reports. If you post at this thead below, he will likely be able to help.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014
Log in to post a reply

Jan 31, 2020 04:52PM Beesie wrote:

Anything recommended for biopsy will always get a BIRADs 4 (or BIRADs 5). Without this assessment, you most likely would not be able to get insurance approval for the biopsy (if you are in the U.S.). The risk of malignancy for BIRADs 4 lesions ranges from 2% to 95%, so the BIRADs 4 doesn't necessarily indicate any higher concern than what you were told. It just means that the Radiologist wants a biopsy to confirm his belief that you have an intraductal papilloma.

If the Radiologist had assigned a BIRADs 3, the standard follow-up would be re-imaging in 6 months, not a biopsy.

“No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke
Log in to post a reply

Feb 13, 2020 01:56PM Delta wrote:

I had my biopsy today and now I have to wait until Monday for the results.

The doctor first tried to aspirate the "cyst" and was able to extract what she described as a "thick" fluid.

There was still material left behind, however, so she biopsied 3 areas and left a clip.

I was really hoping the aspiration was going to be the end of it but no such luck. Now I will have to keep my mind busy until the results come in.

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)