Join Us

We are 219,487 members in 84 forums discussing 161,542 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Lumpectomy for Radial Scar next week

Forum: Waiting for Test Results —

For members not diagnosed with breast cancer, but waiting for test results:  Biopsy, mammogram, ultrasound, or other screening tests. Waiting is VERY difficult but remember...

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength." -- Corrie Ten Boom

Posted on: Jul 23, 2020 06:41PM

Djabi53 wrote:

My daughter is scheduled to have a lumpectomy next week to have a radial scar removed. Her surgeon said she will be under anesthesia for 90 minutes. That seems like a long time. From what I've read it usually takes 15-40 minutes. Does anyone know why it would take so long? They said she would have the biopsy results back in 2-3 weeks and that seems like a long time too. Can anyone share their experiences with this procedure. Thank you.

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Jul 24, 2020 09:40AM JoTheGreek wrote:

I suppose it will be performed via hook wire localisation. In such a case they need to confirm mammographically that the right specimen was excised, that alone will take 10-15 minutes. Next they'll need to do the oncoplasty for nice aesthetic result, that's also time consuming. My excisional biopsy took 90 minutes approx. The histology usually comes back anytime between 10 to 20 days after, so all good there! Good luck, it's a pretty uneventful procedure, no biggie and no need to worry. Heart

Diagnosis 07/2018 @ 56 - Adenosis, apocrine metaplasia, usual ductal epithelial hyperplasia Surgery 7/9/2018 Lumpectomy: Right

Jul 29, 2020 09:04AM GG2020 wrote:

I had this done last year (2019) - a 2.5 inch radial scar removed - my surgery took about 90 minutes. All went very smoothly and I had pathology report very quickly - within a few days. Mine also required the insertion of a Savi scout prior to, and that was less fun than the surgery, in my opinion. Mild discomfort afterward, but truly minimal. I hope your daughter will have a successful and safe surgery! Just keep breathing. :)

Dx 7/10/2020, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC)

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)