Join Us

We are 218,144 members in 84 forums discussing 160,920 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Birads 0 - Diagnostic mammogram scheduled

Forum: Waiting for Test Results —

For members not diagnosed with breast cancer, but waiting for test results:  Biopsy, mammogram, ultrasound, or other screening tests. Waiting is VERY difficult but remember...

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength." -- Corrie Ten Boom

Posted on: Aug 21, 2020 12:46PM

StephF626 wrote:

Hi, all-

I just had my routine screening mammogram and as soon as I walked through the door from the appt., the clinic was calling to set up a diagnostic mammogram - she said the radiologist needs more images of my right breast. I am 46 years old with dense/cystic breasts, and have been down this road 4 times now, but always with the left breast. My mom has had breast cancer twice - the first time at age 36 and most recently at 73. For some reason, I'm feeling so much more nervous this time around, maybe because I've never had issues with the right side before. Just curious - do all screening mammograms that show suspicious changes get classified as Birads 0? I know there are many other reasons why this classification is assigned, but is it a catch-all category for all problematic mammograms? Does anyone know if radiologists are required to put specific information in their reports? My results were released to MyChart (online messaging system) yesterday, and only said "additional images needed of right breast..." with the list of views that he wanted repeated. There was nothing about the reason for why, which I found curious. Is this pretty standard language in your experience? Thanks for you thoughts!

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Aug 21, 2020 02:55PM Beesie wrote:

"Just curious - do all screening mammograms that show suspicious changes get classified as Birads 0?"

BIRADs 0 specifically means that additional imaging is required, which in turn means that the Radiologist doesn't know if everything is fine (maybe your breast was just squished strangely), or if either short-term follow-up or a biopsy is required. Suspicious changes that are clearly visualized but need confirmation or another view will be classified as either BIRADs 3, 4 or 5, even if additional imaging is recommended prior to a biopsy or to determine if a biopsy is advisable.

Excellent explanation of BIRADs ratings here: https://breast-cancer.ca/bi-rads/

Good luck with the diagnostic mammogram. When will you be having it done?

“No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Aug 21, 2020 03:17PM StephF626 wrote:

Thank you for the information! I'm having my diagnostic mammogram on Thursday the 27th...they tried to get me in sooner, but I'm a school librarian and unfortunately have a bunch of back to school meetings packed in early next week. Anyhow, not too long to wait in the scheme of things, and they did say I would have my results at the appointment, which is good.

Aug 22, 2020 12:05AM OnTarget wrote:

If it helps, my first mammogram ever was BIRADS-5.

So that confirms that a zero 0 is not a euphemism for something bad, it just needs more research.

Diagnosed at 42, Oncotype score 16, ITC in one node- considered node negative. Lost right implant to infection March 2020. Waiting to start reconstruction all over again. Dx 4/8/2019, ILC, Left, 3cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/23/2019, ILC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/15/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 6/13/2019 Zoladex (goserelin) Chemotherapy 8/5/2019 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/6/2019 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Aug 27, 2020 05:31PM StephF626 wrote:

So I had my diagnostic mammogram today and was referred for a biopsy....there are clustered calcifications around a duct that the radiologist feels warrant a biopsy. Now, if I could just get the hospital to call me and set that appointment up...the amount of hurry up and wait with this process is the worst part about it!

Aug 27, 2020 08:40PM MinusTwo wrote:

steph - you are at the most anxious & frustrating stage. The waiting is horrible.

See if you can find things that take your mind off the worry. Read, binge watch TV, walk...

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Aug 28, 2020 06:55PM StephF626 wrote:

Thank you..turns out I don’t have to wait that long - they scheduled my biopsy for Monday morning. Trying to do some deep yoga breaths and just enjoy the weekend with my family..

Sep 3, 2020 07:57PM - edited Sep 4, 2020 09:24AM by Feefee16

This Post was deleted by Feefee16.

Sep 3, 2020 11:29PM AliceBastable wrote:

Feefee16, Sorry the procedure went wrong. You'll get more replies, and about your specific problem, if you start your own thread rather than piggybacking onto someone else's post.
Endometrial cancer 2010, basal cell multiples, breast cancer 2018, kidney cancer 2018. Cancer's a bitch, but I'm a bigger one with more practice. Dx 5/2018, ILC/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/10/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 8/7/2018 Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Sep 4, 2020 09:23AM Feefee16 wrote:

I was trying to create a thread but didn't see how. I apologize

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)