Join Us

We are 218,145 members in 84 forums discussing 160,921 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: "cancer doesn't normally grow this fast"

Forum: Waiting for Test Results —

For members not diagnosed with breast cancer, but waiting for test results:  Biopsy, mammogram, ultrasound, or other screening tests. Waiting is VERY difficult but remember...

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength." -- Corrie Ten Boom

Posted on: Aug 23, 2020 02:55PM

siennamitori wrote:

Hi all, I had a small (less than 1 cm) lump in my breast, mammogram and ultrasound 2 months ago and was told it was likely a fibroadenoma and biopsy was not recommended. Since then, the lump has grown to over 6 cm, so I had another exam and ultrasound. The doc told me it looked abnormal, with increased blood flow and abnomal lymph nodes. They did 2 biopsies. The doc told me if I had just come in, she would have thought it was advanced cancer with mets to the lymph nodes. However, she said cancer doesn't usually grow this fast. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. The waiting is killing me.

Dx 8/24/2020, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Chemotherapy 9/15/2020 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Aug 23, 2020 05:01PM Georgia1 wrote:

Hi there and so sorry you are in the awful waiting part. It's hard to tell anything however without seeing your mammogram and ultrasound reports. Obviously the biopsy is the most important, but you will want to request copies of all of the test reports for your files, and possibly for a second opinion from another doctor. Sending you best wishes.

Cancer touched my breast so I kicked its ass. Dx 9/3/2017, ILC/IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/9/2017 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Dx 10/10/2017, LCIS, Right, 0/1 nodes Radiation Therapy 11/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Aug 23, 2020 06:15PM Moderators wrote:

Hi siennamitori, We too are sorry that you are in the terrible waiting mode. It's really too difficult to say if it is benign or malignant based on rate of growth. The waiting is very difficult, and something that everyone here truly understands. Please keep us posted, and try to stay as distracted as possible.

We are here for you!

The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Sep 3, 2020 12:04AM siennamitori wrote:

Unfortunately I got the results that cancer was found in both my breast and lymph nodes. Bone scan, MRI and CT scans were done and thankfully it was not found anywhere else. I'm starting chemo in a couple of weeks, will be using this site as a resource through my journey.

Dx 8/24/2020, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Chemotherapy 9/15/2020 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Sep 3, 2020 02:47AM Beesie wrote:

I'm sorry you've joined the club. I'm glad though that the scans were clear.

I see you've joined the chemo discussion thread. You'll get lots of support there!

Wishing you good luck with chemo.

“No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Sep 3, 2020 02:20PM siennamitori wrote:

Thank you!

Sep 3, 2020 05:58PM beeline wrote:

siennamitori, I’m so sorry you’ve had to join us here, and also sorry that your doctor made such an insensitive remark! Do reach out for support on the boards and make sure you trust your medical team. Get a second opinion if you don’t. Good luck!

American in NZ. Dx’d at 42. Had to stop Taxol after #6 due to neuropathy. Randomised to control group in MonarcheE trial 😩 Dx 7/17/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 8/2/2018 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Dx 8/21/2018, DCIS/IDC/Paget's, Right, 2cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, 10/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Chemotherapy 9/18/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 2/12/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 2/25/2019 Whole-breast: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 1/22/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)