Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Waiting for biopsy. Bi-rads (4)

Options
Jenuwine
Jenuwine Member Posts: 7
edited February 2021 in Waiting for Test Results

Hi Everyone. I'm new and like so many here, waiting on tests. I had my annual screening mammogram on 12/21/20 and got called back for more views and ultrasound, which was done on 1/4/21. After those were complete the radiologist referred me for a biopsy stating the asymmetry was consistent throughout the new views. I am scheduled for a stereotactic guided biopsy on 1/20/21. I really do wish they would move these appointments a little closer. The waiting is horribly anxiety inducing. I've copied in my mammogram report for reference. There is no palpable mass and no ultrasound correlate. Trying to remain optimistic, but it seems like each day I get just a little more dread in my gut. I started out thinking, it's nothing, but now the creep of "well, what if it isn't nothing?" is starting to set in. Any suggestions on how to stay more positive? I am typically a VERY positive and optimistic person, so this is different for me. I am 46 and overall have very good health. Any additional thoughts on my report would also be welcomed.

Radiology report:

Spot compression CC and MLO and true lateral views of the right breast were obtained. There is no evidence of architectural distortion or cluster of suspicious microcalcifications. There is persistent asymmetry involving the upper outer right breast. Targeted right breast ultrasound is recommended for further evaluation. The examination was interpreted with the aid of the R2 image checker system. IMPRESSION: Persistent right upper outer breast asymmetry as above. No sonographic correlate is identified. Stereotactic guided right breast biopsy is recommended. Any clinically suspicious abnormality must be acted upon independently of mammographic findings. FINAL ASSESSMENT: BI-RADS (4) Suspicious

Comments

• ctmbsikia
    ctmbsikia Member Posts: 752
    edited January 2021
    Options

Hi there. Sorry you're here. Two things that I hope helps you get through this. Birads 4 biopsies are usually done to rule OUT cancer, so I am hopeful from your report that you will get back some sort of benign condition. Second, is to try and stay busy although, believe me, we all know what's it like. Hang in there, let us know how it goes. I'm also going to try an attach the Birads table in case you need it:

image alt="">

• ctmbsikia
    edited January 2021
    Options

image alt="">

• ctmbsikia
    edited January 2021
    Options

• Jenuwine
    edited January 2021
    Options

Thanks so much for your response, it actually does help to hear that. When no subcategory is noted, does that mean it is an (a)?

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited January 2021
    Options

Hi Jenuwine,

When no category is mentioned, it's best to assume an average, which is about 25% risk of malignancy, 75% chance of benign. So still very favorable odds.

Good luck with the biopsy! Let us know how it goes.

• Jenuwine
    edited January 2021
    Options

Hi Beesie.

Thank you. I still find those odds on the very positive side! I will keep everything updated as I move through the process.

• LivinLife
    LivinLife Member Posts: 301
    edited January 2021
    Options

Welcome Jenuwine! The vast majority of call backs and biopsies turn out benign and now you have feedback from a few of us hoping that is true in your case as well. I agree with the staying busy feedback. Hopefully your biopsy is not too far out to help minimize that waiting. Then there is the waiting for results which hopefully will follow a few days, or close to it, later. I waited over a week for my biopsy results the last time - I realize now my doc was on vacation - he apparently rec'd some feedback to call me anyways, which he did - from home.... I've heard the breast radiologists in my area are quite persistent with other docs about their timely follow-up on concerning biopsies and esp. when they aren't timely. It was a little more anxiety-provoking to hear from him while he was out of the office (and I was out of town).... Found out later they all expected IDC and it remained DCIS throughout... I hope you end up with good results!

• Jenuwine
    edited January 2021
    Options

Thanks, LivinLife. It definitely helps to hear others tell me that. I think I was a little unprepared when I heard the news that I needed a biopsy. My only responses to the radiologist were "ok, oh, uh huh, umm ok, thanks" LOL My biopsy is still 10 days out, but I guess that's better than the 16 it was when I found out I needed it. I appreciate everyone's warm welcome and will do my best to keep busy and positive for the next 10 days.

• scrmom74
    scrmom74 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2021
    Options

I found out Thursday that MRI report said Bi-rads 4 with no letter after it. I go on the 15th for a mri guided biopsy because a focal non-mass enhancement was found. Good luck with your biopsy. I’m wondering how long it takes to get results?

edited January 2021
    Options

scrmom, every facility is different, you have to ask them how and when you will receive your results. Usually 2-7 business days. The size of the facility can be a factor, especially at smaller facilities if one of the pathologists happens to be out sick or on vacation. And different facilities have different processes. At some places I've had tests, I receive results on-line in a patient portal as soon as the results are available, and I often see the results before my doctor does. At other places, the results go to my doctor and I have to wait for a phone call. Some doctors prefer to discuss results in person, although that's probably less common these days with Covid restricting office visits.

Good luck with the biopsy. Hoping your result is benign. Non-mass enhancement coud just be a fibrocystic or high risk condition, or if malignant, DCIS.

• scrmom74
    scrmom74 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2021
    Options

I learned with speaking to my local breast cancer navigator on Friday that effective January 1st all results are released to the patient portal due to something with the cares act. I think before then it was up to the doctor to hit the button to say allow patient to view results. With my biopsy being on a Friday, I am guessing I may know something over the weekend, hopefully.

edited January 2021
    Options

If your biopsy is Friday, getting results on the weekend is unlikely. The pathologist needs to closely examine the tissue under the microscope and may need to conduct tests on the tissue, and usually there needs to be a sign off on the results. While some facilities are open for testing on weekends, I doubt that many pathology labs outside of hospital ERs work weekends (Covid testing being an exception). Usually the number of days to get results refers to business days, i.e. Monday to Friday.

But maybe you will be lucky.

• Jenuwine
    edited January 2021
    Options

Hi scrmom74.

Thanks and good luck with yours as well. I was told 5-7 business days for pathology results after biopsy.

• Jenuwine
    edited January 2021
    Options

Biopsy was complete yesterday. Radiologist said I MAY have results by the end of the week, I'm not holding my breath lol.

• LivinLife
    edited January 2021
    Options

Sending good vibes your way Jenuwine..... end of the week would be very soon....

• Jenuwine
    edited January 2021
    Options

Benign fibrocystic breast tissue!!! Happy dancing and thankful for peace of mind before the weekend! Thank you all for your encouraging words through my process and just for being here. Good luck to everyone on their journeys. :)

• ctmbsikia
    edited January 2021
    Options

Great news indeed and right before the weekend!! Enjoy

• LivinLife
    edited January 2021
    Options

Amazing you heard back already! GReat news and so glad you didn't have to worry through the weekend - and unnecessarily! ENJOY!!!

• auratba
    auratba Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2021
    Options

just wondering if anyone has had a core needle biopsy, I go on March 10th, and am really scared of needles and feeling any pain.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited February 2021
    Options

lots of us have had core needle biopsies! They will freeze you well. The only thing you'll feel is a small pinch when the freezing needle starts - it's small and they go slow so that they let the freezing start before they further and inject more of the freezing. So really, just a tiny pinch. The actual tool that does the core needle biopsy makes a loud noise like a staple gun. That can be startling but you won't feel it. You will feel pressure, but no pain. If you feel any pain just tell them & they'll put more freezing in.

You can choose to wear headphones and play your own music and you can also ask to have something on your face if you'd prefer to not even accidentally glimpse any of the equipment or samples. Usually there's a second person in the room who can hold your hand for parts of it if you're really having a hard time. It's fast & you can do it!

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,939
    edited February 2021
    Options

There was a nurse in the room where mine was done who kept rubbing my lower legs. I wanted to kick her. The biopsy procedure was interesting to watch and I thought the rubbing was an annoying distraction. Lesson: YOU tell them what you need.