Topic: Normal MRI results?

Forum: Waiting for Test Results — We know, waiting is VERY difficult but we're here for you.

Posted on: Dec 15, 2021 08:10AM

Posted on: Dec 15, 2021 08:10AM

emstein wrote:

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with IDC on 12/8 through mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy. I'm making the decision between a lumpectomy and mastectomy in the next few days. Through reading posts on this forum and talking to friends and family, I learned that a breast MRI is not an uncommon screening tool to check for additional problems before surgery...to get the full picture. And since I have dense breasts, I felt like using every tool available to know exactly what's going on would give me peace of mind opting for a lumpectomy over a mastectomy. I read about too many women on this forum who had surprises after their MRI.

So now that I've requested and it's scheduled for Friday, I am feeling a little nervous about the results. I'm sure there are those of us out there who had normal MRI results (normal in that there were no additional surprises except for the known issue). While no one can predict the future, can anyone reassure me that this is at least a possibility? I am nervous about the timing of all this- making a decision about surgery on Monday, Christmas, appointment availability over the holidays, etc. Waiting for more biopsy results over Christmas would be so so bad for my mental health.

Emily

Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)

Log in to post a reply

Dec 15, 2021 09:18AM - edited Dec 15, 2021 09:20AM by waves2stars

Can you add your dx stats to your signature line?

I literally made a pros and cons list of both procedures a few days before I decided. I used clinical data, logistics and personal preferences, including “alternate endings" wherein I could end up with radiation or chemo unexpectedly. None of my imaging, including MRI, showed the DCIS. But honestly, if I had a lumpectomy plus rads instead, it would've blasted all that anyway. But the size and location of my tumor meant mx was strongly suggested by my medical team. It feels like the closest you can get to a crystal ball is the final pathology after surgery, but even that doesn't always mean anything.

It feels like a tough choice, and it is only one of many steps in this mess. But with either surgery you win because the tumor will be out.

Edited to add, my pros and cons list on paper was helpful for my family to see how I came to my decision and why.

DX @ 47. IDC 2.1 cm, DCIS 2.8 cm, Luminal B Dx 7/19/2021, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, FISHISHCISH Surgery 8/31/2021 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction (Left): DIEP flap Dx 9/2021, DCIS, Left, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 9/20/2021 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)
Log in to post a reply

Dec 15, 2021 10:37AM alicebastable wrote:

My BS routinely schedules MRIs for her patients, at least the ones who choose lumpectomy, before surgery. It's to help her pinpoint the exact location of what needs to be removed.

BCO is not trustworthy. Do not share personal information on this site. Surgery 7/11/2018 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Surgery 8/8/2018 Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes
Log in to post a reply

Dec 15, 2021 10:49AM ctmbsikia wrote:

So sorry abut your diagnosis. As you can see from my stats I was diagnosed around this time of year. I did see the BS shortly after and I did the genetic testing and I did do an MRI which was done the week between Christmas and New Years. The MRI did lead to another biopsy on my right side which was LCIS. I also had an excisional biopsy at surgery which was at the end of January. It was sort of a nightmare as insurance changed over the new year. So had a little delay in waiting for new ID cards and authorizations to happen. I was mostly oblivious to bc at that time and I was distracted with playoff football. It's Ok to wait to make a decision, try to enjoy the holiday.

Dx 12/14/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/16/2018, LCIS, Right Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Radiation Therapy 4/10/2018 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/25/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)
Log in to post a reply

Dec 15, 2021 11:22AM emstein wrote:

A pros and cons list is a good idea. I know the most important thing for me, since struggling with a lifetime of health anxiety, is to have as much peace of mind in the future. So that's what's guiding my decisions now, even if I'm anxious or uncomfortable for the time being. I am leaning toward a lumpectomy with radiation since I saw a recent study showing that it has a slightly more favorable prognosis over mastectomy alone. And sorry- thought my stats were included in my signature but I had to make them public!

My surgeon did not proactively recommend the MRI. I called and asked why, and explained that it would help me make my decision about surgery type. She said she didn't need the MRI results to do the surgery but would order one for me if it gave me peace of mind and helped me make my decision. And so I find myself scheduled for Friday.

We did genetic testing on Thursday of last week. I'm scheduled for a follow-up on Monday to go over those results and make a decision about surgery. By then, I should have the MRI results but obviously no biopsy results if any are needed after the MRI. If the genetic testing is not back by the 20th then I have a follow up scheduled for the 30th (because of the holiday). There is only 1 surgery slot open the first week of January and they are trying to hold it for me. My surgeon likes to get surgeries done within 1 month of diagnosis.

It all seems so smushed together with the holidays....and I'm trying to prepare myself for more biopsies and unknowns over Christmas. :( Also the day I decide surgery is my birthday. Ugh.

Emily




Log in to post a reply

Dec 15, 2021 11:47AM sunshinegal wrote:

So sorry you're dealing with this over the holidays. :(

You asked if some people have clean MRI results after a lesion is found. Yes. I did, with both dx's: nothing new/unknown lit up. My decisions were pretty "easy" in tha my first lesion was so large that mastectomy was required, and my second one was so small that it could be excised via lumpectomy.

Hang in there!


Dx 10/7/2010, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 3/22/2021, IDC, Right, <1cm, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2-
Log in to post a reply

Dec 15, 2021 11:54AM minustwo wrote:

Emily - it really would be better if you create only one thread instead of starting yet another one. That way people can follow along as things move forward. I already participated in your MRI discussion on another of your threads.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014
Log in to post a reply

Dec 15, 2021 11:57AM emstein wrote:

So sorry- I didn't realize that. I thought someone mentioned to poke around in other sections of the forum.

Log in to post a reply

Dec 15, 2021 06:52PM salamandra wrote:

I also had an MRI after diagnosis and before surgery. It found nothing beyond the known malignancy.

Dx at 39. 1.8cm. Oncotype 9. Dx 9/19/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/17/2018 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 12/2/2018 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/18/2019 Fareston (toremifene)

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)

Scroll to top button