Topic: Just Like the Forum Title Says: Waiting for Test Results (!)

Forum: Waiting for Test Results — We know, waiting is VERY difficult but we're here for you.

Posted on: Dec 27, 2021 05:26PM

Posted on: Dec 27, 2021 05:26PM

cynthia7138 wrote:

Greetings, all. I'm 55yo, annual mammo on 12/8 turned up area of concern in left breast, diagnostic mammo on 12/15 gave me BIRADS 4 (idk if it was a, b, c, whatever) and "predominantly amorphous calcifications measuring 8 millimeters with grouped distribution." Stereotactic biopsy today. I've gone from freaking out quite a bit after the first phone call, to freaking out more, to getting more calm, to freaking out when I spend too much time googling, to being okay today. (But sleepy--very fatigued following that biopsy). The doc today suggested that the area was just barely suspicious but that made me feel more worried, honestly--like it was a cosmic trap to make me feel confident! I'm hoping to get results before New Year's Eve--though I'm bummed about that timing b/c my husband has a gig on NYE (he's a musician) and I don't want him to have to go play happy celebratory music for people if he's just learned I have cancer! He's stressing quietly but pretty hard. I've mostly managed my anxiety by doing things that might seem grim to some--I started making a list of things my husband would need to know if I died tomorrow. I guess some might find that to be negative thinking but it gave me a lot of comfort!

Page 1 of 2 (20 results)

Dec 27, 2021 08:35PM - edited Dec 27, 2021 10:27PM by mfk

Hi - I'm a few months ahead of you, and started off with similar notes from my mammogram. I think I'm fortunate that my disposition is to assume good outcomes until presented with facts to the contrary. I used my pre-biopsy and post-biopsy/pre-pathology time to knock off some errands that I thought I should get out of the way if this thing started to take over my life. Bought new tires, got my car inspected, replaced my eyeglasses with some groovy specs that everyone admired in pre-op. Also got a nice journal and notebook to hold my medical papers and notes (and bills!). I recommend research on quality websites, but try to hold off until you have specific details to evaluate. No sense going down a rabbit hole of symptoms and treatments that you may never have. I think the compression associated with the biopsy might have been the most uncomfortable part of the process to date. The highlight of the MRI was drooling in the surgical mask, the genetic testing was a bit stressful because I have a mystery quadrant on my family tree, but the surgery wasn't too bad at all. Got lucky with the small size and location of the disease, and many thanks to the surgeon for my widely-negative margins. Can't speak to radiation because I've only been to planning session. More to come on that next month. Best wishes for you in your diagnosis.

Dec 27, 2021 08:44PM parakeetsrule wrote:

Even if it does turn out to be cancer, it won't make a difference treatment-wise if you find out the results before or after NYE. So if you and your husband want to postpone hearing the results until after the gig, that would be totally fine! The mammogram that confirmed my cancer was originally scheduled for only a couple days before a two week trip to Asia, and they ended up rescheduling me for after the trip because there wasn't going to be a tech or doctor available or something. In hindsight, I'm glad that happened. It would have made the trip a lot less fun!

Like mfk said, try not to worry yet. It won't prevent anything from happening and it just makes you unhappy now.

Hopefully yours turns out to be nothing!

Stage 2 at 37, Stage 4 at 41. Cancer is dumb. Cookies are good. Dx 3/21/2017, IDC, Left, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 5/15/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 12/8/2021 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 12/13/2021 Piqray (alpelisib) Dx IDC, Other, Stage IV, ER+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Dec 27, 2021 10:38PM alicebastable wrote:

I'll add, try to deliberately schedule fun things to do while waiting. I did that between appointments and tests and even surgeries, and what I look back on now are the fun things like day trips! I barely remember the dreary medical part. Oh, and "Dr" Google is a quack, so stay away.

BCO is not trustworthy. Do not share personal information on this site. Surgery 7/11/2018 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Surgery 8/8/2018 Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Dec 28, 2021 08:00AM moderators wrote:

Cynthia, we're sorry you are here and worried, but wanted to send you a warm welcome to BC.org. As you can already see, this wonderful Community is here to help you and give you lots of good advice. We know that the waiting is truly one of the hardest parts, so hang in there and try to keep yourself distracted until you get your results.

Good luck, and please keep us all posted!

The Mods

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Jan 1, 2022 09:13PM cynthia7138 wrote:

Hi, kind people. Here's my update: doc called on Thursday following my Monday biopsy. I haven't seen the path report myself yet, but from the notes I scribbled, it's DCIS, low grade (? I think that's what he said), not invasive. I guess I'll talk to a surgeon on Monday, about a lumpectomy. That's really all I know right now. I'm assembling my list of questions.

Jan 1, 2022 09:23PM - edited Jan 1, 2022 09:25PM by parakeetsrule

I'm sorry it turned out to be something instead of nothing! Collecting questions is great. If you haven't yet, it may also help to read through this page and the other pages linked in it: https://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/types/dcis

Stage 2 at 37, Stage 4 at 41. Cancer is dumb. Cookies are good. Dx 3/21/2017, IDC, Left, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 5/15/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 12/8/2021 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 12/13/2021 Piqray (alpelisib) Dx IDC, Other, Stage IV, ER+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Jan 3, 2022 06:36PM - edited Jan 3, 2022 06:37PM by lorrieroma

This Post was deleted by lorrieroma.

Jan 3, 2022 06:44PM alicebastable wrote:

Sorry about the news, it's not the best way to start the year. But low grade is good, so hang onto that. You'll probably be graduating to other threads once you have all the information and surgical plans, so you'll meet knowledgeable people who can give you lots of support.

BCO is not trustworthy. Do not share personal information on this site. Surgery 7/11/2018 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Surgery 8/8/2018 Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Jan 9, 2022 10:08AM lonelysyster wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm new here, and first of all I hope I'm in the right topic, because I normally speak dutch and I'm from belgium. I'm 54 years old, did my mammo and echo and it came back with a note that there is something about longest 9,8 mm and biggest diameter 6,3 mm. (sharply defined intermediate echogenic nodule, and small narrow spur medial side. Vascularised, no retroacoustic shadow). Hope my translation is ok... The paper from the mammo service came back birads4a. The previews mammo and echo was 1,5 years ago, and was ok. I had to have a biopsy, and there the doctor said she thinks it was rather birads4b, so about 50%, instead a 10% for the birads4a. No I'm freaked out, and I already see myself dying and having a terrible time ahead full of clinic visits, pain, sickness, and no life anymore.. when the biopsy was done, I started crying so hard, that they called in a psychologist for me. I found this topic, hoping to see members write that their birads4b still was bening. I'm so lost now.. I first started searching on Google, and everyrhing I read was bad.

Jan 9, 2022 11:00AM beaverntx wrote:

Lonelysyster, while your reactions and fears are not uncommon please know these early days in a possible breast cancer diagnosis are often the hardest, in part because our imaginations create the darkest possible future. Should you receive such a diagnosis, once you have a treatment plan and are moving forward with that you will have a better picture of your reality. Yes, there will be clinic visits if your diagnosis is breast cancer but your treatment plan cannot be predicted at this time. Please continue to see your psychologist for support as you continue through this early time of diagnosis. What we imagine is so often much worse than our reality. Sending (((virtual hugs))) your way. Please keep us informed of what you find out.

Diagnosed at age 77-- Oncotype 17, dealing with this bump in the road of life!!🎆 Dx 1/24/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/30/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0 Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/11/2018 Whole breast: Breast Surgery 6/15/2018 Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 2 (20 results)

Scroll to top button