Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I'm here again

Options
zebra_co
zebra_co Member Posts: 35
edited February 2022 in Waiting for Test Results

I had my annual mammogram yesterday. I saw the caller ID from my health care come through on my phone this morning and already knew I was getting called back.. they found architectural distortion with associated calcifications and need additional imaging and likely a biopsy. This would be my 4th breast biopsy. The prior 3 were for the right side. This is in the left side and I don't know why, but that freaks me out a bit. Two of the prior biopsies were benign and one was DCIS. For the DCIS which was five years ago, I had a lumpectomy and 6 weeks of daily radiation treatment. I am scheduled for the current imaging on 1/25. A year ago, they did the imaging and took me directly to biopsy. With my history, I expect the same thing on Tuesday. My husband will go with me this time. Last year he couldn't wait in the waiting room for me due to covid so I'm grateful that he can this time. I've had my moments today. I've talked to my sister and my daughter, and reached out to a number of girlfriends. My husband gave me a wonderful hug right after the call and assured me that he is here for me. All this support is wonderful and I am so blessed to have it. I still need the support from this group of amazing people who have actually experienced what I am going through. The waiting, the unknown, it is the hardest part.

Comments

• jons_girl
    jons_girl Member Posts: 444
    Options

zebra I'm here. Definitely understand the waiting. And getting the call. Keep yourself busy. That can help time pass at least. All the support you have is good too! Keep us posted! And I'm here anytime you want to chat!

Blessings

• zebra_co
    Options

Thank you so much for your support.

• wthiensuwan
    wthiensuwan Member Posts: 3
    Options

I'm here with you as well Zebra. I will have to do my first biopsy on my lymph node tomorrow morning. I am freaking out.......and so scared for the result.

• jons_girl
    Options

how'd your biopsy go wthienswan??

Hope all goes well for you zebra next Tuesday. Keep us posted

• vandercat
    vandercat Member Posts: 43
    Options

I had bilateral biopsies just before New Years. They found one instance of DCIS in my right breast, but before proceeding to surgery, they want to do two more biopsies (in both breasts) on areas with calcifications. Unfortunately, between scheduling and Covid, it will be yet another week before that, plus a few days for path...

I am very tense and very angry.

• zebra_co
    Options

wthienswan, How did the biopsy go? Did they say when you would get results?

• zebra_co
    Options

Vandercat, Sorry to hear about the DCIS. You will get through this. There will be a lot of appointments, decisions, and of course the waiting. I am so sorry that you have to wait another week for the additional biopsies.

A therapist told me one time that anger is fear turned outward. Feel the anger, it's real! Talk about it and let the emotions out. Also think about the fear. Feel that too. You can come on this community any time and vent!

Please keep us posted on your biopsies, your treatment, and your mental wellbeing also.

Blessings, Debbie

• zebra_co
    Options

I'm having a freak out day. I try to stay calm and busy but it's just not working right now. My family and friends can only hear so much of this. Plus, I haven't even told most of my family because I don't want them to worry before I get results, as I know that it could be (hopefully be) nothing. So I am here venting. It's been 3 days since the call back phone call, but at times it feels like it has been 3 months.

It's cold here today 37 degrees but I think I will bundle up and take my dog for a walk in the park. Then I'll come home and have some hot tea.

Debbie

• zebra_co
    Options

I read my mammogram results again after reading some articles on this site. I have learned that architectural distortion with associated calcifications could mean IDC. I guess that's why I'm having the bad day today. Does anyone have any insight? Or can share their experience? I'm really in need of some support here. Thanks

• jons_girl
    Options

sorry zebra I'm not getting notified with posts for some reason. Sorry I didn't respond yesterday. I'm not a expert regarding your mammo report. But sounds correct what your saying.

I had IDC. But caught mine very early. My tumor was already invasive at 4 mm! But I caught it so early it had not spread to lymph nodes. 0/2. So keep good thoughts. Even if this is IDC you may have caught it very early. That would be good.

Sending a hug to you!

• mfk
    mfk Member Posts: 35
    Options

zebra - sample of one, so take it for what it's worth, but my follow-up mammogram last fall said "persistent architectural distortion associated with the calcifications" and it turned out to be DCIS.

• zebra_co
    Options

Thank you so much Jons_girl. It’s so hard to wait! I would like to see health care have faster processes for this. It’s so anxiety provoking to have to wait a week between every step. It's good to hear that you are doing well after your IDC and caught it early. I am doing better today, at least for now. It's crazy how the feelings can just pop up from nowhere. I'm hopeful that this will turn out negative for me. Even if it doesn't, I will fight it and get through it.

Thanks for the reply and the virtual hug. 🤗

• zebra_co
    Options

mfk, thank you for your response. It is a bit comforting to know that your similar mammogram was DCIS, not that I would wish that on anyone! I've had calcifications in the past but the mammogram had never before reported an architectural distortion. I guess that's what scares me more on this one. Your DCIS was very recent. Are you still doing rads?

😊🌻

• mfk
    Options

Hi - I've had calcifications for years and had call backs and follow-ups from time to time. I'm grateful for the tomosynthesis because at least I never had to do any tests before it was necessary. (Years ago the insurance company pushed back against paying for the newer technology but thankfully that mindset changed.) If the first time I had a biopsy was the first time I needed a biopsy, I guess you can say that in this case the system worked.

I've completed 8/15 fractions of PBI at this point. So far, so good. No issues to date with my skin.

• zebra_co
    Options

mfk, Wow, yeah that technology seems to be really great! I had not heard of that before, I had to google it. My insurance would not likely cover this since it has never came up. The biopsies I have had were very uncomfortable and would love to avoid them if that were a possibility. I assume that PBI is radiation related since you mentioned your skin. I had pretty bad burns and rash with my radiation in 2016. I also developed lymphedema in my breast. I had no idea that this was a thing. I had been told to watch for symptoms of lymphedema in my arm, but not my breast! My radiology doc recognized it. I went to physical therapy for it and was shown massages to do that got my lymph moving around the way it was supposed to be going. I had to do these massages for quite some time. I don't really want to go through all that again for the left breast. But I'm getting ahead of myself as I haven't even had the biopsy yet. This is where I need to stop thinking about it so much! {sigh} Thank you so much for your reply.

• mfk
    Options

PBI is Partial Breast Irradiation. My RO is an evangelist for it, although you can find others who disagree. Witness these pieces in a professional journal last year:

Partial Breast Irradiation Is the Preferred Standard of Care for a Majority of Women With Early-Stage Breast Cancer

Whole-Breast Irradiation Is the Preferred Standard of Care for the Majority of Patients With Early-Stage Breast Cancer

I am with you on the discomfort of the biopsy! The compression required was not pleasant. They warn you about the needles, the numbing, the noise - but that was nothing compared to the compression.

• jons_girl
    Options

Thanks for sharing about PBI. Either I forgot about that option or never knew about that. Is that a new option for radiation?

zebra I hope all goes well for you tomorrow. Keep us posted ok?

We are here for support. Sending a virtual hug to you. And saying a prayer now.

• zebra_co
    Options

mfk, thank you for that information. I will keep it in mind.

jons girl, Thanks again for all your support!

• jons_girl
    Options

you’re welcome. I’m sooo glad all went well and your results were benign! Have a wonderful weekend

• zebra_co
    Options

Thank you Jons girl and I really appreciate all the support you have given to me. You have a good weekend as well.

• jons_girl
    Options

thank you

• elamom
    elamom Member Posts: 37
    Options

I had a biopsy yesterday so I’m here waiting as well. I’m really nervous mostly just because my lump is large and growing fast. Hang in there, hoping everything checks out for both of us

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,911
    Options

Please do keep us posted. Medicating

• kkubsky
    kkubsky Member Posts: 47
    Options

"I'm here again" too. DCIS in 2016. Had lumpectomy and whole breast radiation back then. Fast forward to yesterday. Suspicious calcifications found near original scar. Had biopsy and am waiting for results. Radiologist feels strongly it is DCIS again. No lump or tumor found, just the microcalcifications. I really thought I was done riding this merry go round. Not handling this very well...again.

• scaredmominmi
    scaredmominmi Member Posts: 14
    Options

I am here again, too. Lumpectomy in 2020 that was benign. Microcalcifications found in the site near my lumpectomy this week. Waiting to hear what the plan is.

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    Options

Here again. Hypoechoic small lump just under sternum. Not even near my stupid implants. And my oncologist AND his sidekick thought it was nothing and asked if I wanted to go to yearly. I messaged my primary and she set up an ultrasoid. Hypoechoic with no blood supply/vessel activity so that's my prayer. The nurse wasn't concerned but the ultrasound doc set me up for a biopsy tomorrow. I just had to compare to old ultrasound results that were bad: hypoechoic. I hope it is nothing and then I hope it's nothing widespread because I'm not rocking the bald again. I'm just not. My son was 2 when this started and he's 12 1/2. 5 1/2 yrs to college and I will feel done. Now just trying to get him to drive a car so he doesn't need to depend on my aging mother, overworked husband or my shitty inlaws. Attivan ran out yesterday, full bottle waiting for me when I get off of work. They better be able to tell instantly if it's nothing or have the darn results FAST. Last time I did this shit I got the bad results while Christmas shopping.