Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Flagged for possible metastatic cancer

wondering44
wondering44 Member Posts: 251
edited February 2022 in Waiting for Test Results

I was diagnosed with breast cancer (right) 07/2021. I found the lump by accident 06/2021. I had regular mammograms for three years before dx.

09/2021 I saw my MO for a lump I found in my left breast. I had the US completed. It did not show the lump, but lumps were felt by the Radiologist. Everything looked good, and I will do another MRI in 2022 because I just had one 07/2021. I was referred to a Breast Surgeon who told me he didn't know why I was there to see him.

01/2022 I met with MO and told her I had swollen nodes in my left arm area. She checked and told me I had swelling, but probably it was different because I had surgery on my right side. ALL GOOD.

I was involved in a car accident on 01/31/2022. I went to the emergency room on 02/02/2022 and had a CT done to check the abdomen from the accident. I noted changes on the CT from the 08/2021 CT and messaged my MO to review. I went to a follow-up at my PCP's office for the car accident and met with the NP. I asked her to check the nodes. She ordered the US and noted the swollen nodes in my chart.

Today I had the US. I saw the images while the tech took did the US. I had a good idea from past experience; it wasn't good. I told myself that it wasn't possible to miss cancer again on the way home. How is that possible?! I received my result via the portal. Chart flagged for possible metastatic cancer due to nodes. I messaged my MO's office and let them know I have not heard back yet from the last message, and I want my US reviewed and a call today.

Now I wait to start the "waiting for results" process all over again.

Comments

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605

Ugh! I hope you get answers soon. Waiting and not knowing what's going on is terrible.

• wondering44

Parakeetsrule,

Waiting is a part of it. I have not told my husband yet. I was waiting to have the ultrasound before discussing it with him. He was such a significant part of my support the first go-round I didn't want him to worry if it turned out to be nothing. Now I have to tell him. We have so much LIVING planned this year that we got ready for AND booked once I finished treatments in December. It is not where I want to be today.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293

just one thing to note is that all radiology & pathology write "metastasis" when they note anything that might be breast tissue outside of the breast, including in a lymph node.

That doesn't mean mean you have "metastatic cancer" like we talk about it here, stage 4

Depending on the presentation and other factors, contralateral and neck nodes can lead to restaging as 3B/C, not 4. Ipsilateral would just bump up the original stage a bit.

The fact they use that term differently than oncology staging - I hope that gives you a bit of breathing room.

I'm sorry it's happening & I'm sorry you're waiting but otoh it really is best to know now because if that's what it is you want to hit hard & fast.

Sending best wishes!

• wondering44

Moth,

Thank you for your post. It does give me breathing room. I appreciate it very much. It will help me throughout the weekend. :-)

You are right. Better to get information today rather than months from now when it was recommended for me to do mammogram and MRI. I was really enjoying my time off from treatments other than the Letrozole. It was a relief to not use the majority of my time going to appointments.

• 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 463

boy this sucks - glad Moth was able to give you some clarification-

• wondering44

2019whatayear,

I won't agree that It doesn't suck.

The NP called me and told me she saw the results and wanted to call me though she was out of the hospital today. She said she sent the message to my PCP and my MO, and she said THIS RESULT goes to Oncology.

Preparing my mind for long weekend. Have a "busy list" ready to start first thing in the morning. :-)

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,816

Sending you hugs, wondering44!

• wondering44

Additional ultrasound at Cancer Center and ultrasound-guided biopsy are scheduled on Thursday. My ultrasound at the diagnostic center flagged for "possible metastatic disease" is under review by a cancer Radiologist at the Cancer Center. I am waiting on a call after the review is completed.

The consistent question I have had is did I recently get a COVID vaccine. My response is that my last COVID vaccine was 08/2021, and ultrasound to check my left breast was 09/2021, which was Birads 1 (negative).

I am crossing my fingers there is not a positive cancer result from the biopsy. Yes, waiting still bites as much as it did last year.

• jons_girl
    jons_girl Member Posts: 441

wondering44

Hope all goes well Thursday and you get clear answers. Waiting for results isn’t fun!

My cancer was missed on mammo too and I felt my tumor by accident too. It was caught on ultrasound but sounds like yours were not seen on ultrasound. I am starting to think MRI is best diagnostic to follow up for breast cancer dx.

Will say a prayer for you. And sending a virtual hug to you. 🙏

Tami

• jo-jo2018
    jo-jo2018 Member Posts: 139

Sending hugs Wondering44

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,934

I've had enlarged nodes on CT scans, that led to PET scans, and one of those led to a biopsy. May your results be benign like mine were. I remember the wait for results from that being awful.

• wondering44

AliceBastable,

Thanks. I think I am finally out of the "funk" tonight from the results of the abnormal US. I agree with you on getting a benign result. I'd really like that too.

Apparently it is normal to flag an abnormal US for "possible metastatic disease" for someone who has a history of breast cancer. That was information I did not know until earlier. I have yet to hear this information from the Beast Cancer Center. I will ask why this wasn't explained to me by someone on my Team. It may have helped to eliminate some of the stress since last Friday.

I am glad that you got benign results. Must have been a huge sigh of relief. :-)

• alicebastable

I know it was a typo or autocorrupt, but "Beast Cancer Center" is so appropriate!

• wondering44

Hahahahaha, Alice! I believe I will not correct that typo. How right you are!!!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,816

Dear wondering44,

We will be thinking of you tomorrow. Hope all goes well. Keep us all posted on what you learn.

The Mods

• wondering44

Great news!The "flagged" US was double-checked. It was noted normal lymph nodes by the two doctors at the Cancer Center. The mammogram and US came back negative with a Birads 2. I did have some tears of joy afterward. I guess not all Radiologists read the same. :-)

• jo-jo2018
    jo-jo2018 Member Posts: 139

FANTASTIC NEWS So happy for you wondering44

• wondering44

Thank you, Jo-Jo. It is wonderful news. :-)

• YAY! YAY! YAY! What a relief... I'm so happy for you, but sorry you went through that angst.

• wondering44

Thank you so much Beesie!

FYI - I love your posts. So much knowledge you have to share with us. That knowledge is needed out here in our BC world. I told the doctor today that I am an infant in the BC world with my experience in it and that I felt like I graduated from a toddler to PREK-4 today after this ride. So much to learn. Please keep posting!

• alicebastable

SO happy for you!

• rrobin0200
    rrobin0200 Member Posts: 80

Wondering44,

I haven’t posted in awhile; I only really browse the topics and your post caught my eye, as I too am from New Orleans.

Anyhow, I am SO happy for your benign results. What a relief. I’m the praying type, and you have been in my prayers. Again, so happy that you can breathe a sigh of relief.

• 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 463

So happy to hear your news!!!!

• wondering44

Thank you so much Alice!

Rrobin0200, Thank you for your prayers and thoughts. It is truly appreciated.

2019whatayear, Thank you!

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474

Hip hip hooray! My turn this week

• wondering44

7of9,

I am crossing fingers you get the same great news.

Please post your results.

Thinking of you while you wait. It is a rough time. Much too long for anyone on these boards.