Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Biopsy at Second Look Ultrasound?

Options
midwestmidnight
midwestmidnight Member Posts: 1
edited February 2022 in Waiting for Test Results

On 2/2 I had an MRI (high risk) with following result:

-MRI BI-RADS: 4 Suspicious finding - Biopsy should be considered

There is a new 0.7cm oval enhancing mass in the outer central breast. This demonstrates suspicious kinetics with
rapid initial washout delayed pattern enhancement.

Second look ultrasound is recommended. If there is no sonographic correlate, MRI guided biopsy
would be recommended.

I received a call from the hospital before I even arrived home to schedule an ultrasound for Monday 2/7. I had not seen the report when I got the call so I didn't even know what questions to ask. But now having seen it I am wondering if at the ultrasound will I have a biopsy?

I haven't even received a call from the Doctor who ordered the initial MRI so I feel like I am flying blind right now. Does anyone know what I should expect at my appointmen tomorrow?

Comments

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited February 2022
    Options

midwestmidnight, I don't know for sure. However, I expect you will have an ultrasound. The radiologist will read it, talk to you, and recommend a biopsy or not. I expect that would be scheduled as a separate appointment, not done at the same time. However, different medical centers do things differently.

Good luck.

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    edited February 2022
    Options
    It sounds to me like they are simply recommending a biopsy depending on what the ultrasound shows. Most people seem to do them separately but when I had my mammogram, after seeing the results they did the ultrasound and biopsy the same day even though I didn't have an appointment for them.

Fingers crossed yours turns out to be nothing!
  • alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,940
    edited February 2022
    Options

I didn't have an MRI first, just the mammogram, but I was scheduled for "ultrasound and possible biopsy." They did the biopsy right after the radiologist saw the ultrasound. It could be because I use a one-stop breast center, with mammograms, ultrasound, biopsies, and breast surgeons' offices all in one place

• jons_girl
    jons_girl Member Posts: 444
    edited February 2022
    Options

Midwestmidnight:I had a second opinion ultrasound at a place I trusted. First ultrasound had taken me off guard and they told me I needed to schedule a biopsy. So I scheduled the second opinion ultrasound at a diagnostic center I trusted. Right after the ultrasound they said I did need a biopsy and if I waited a hour or so that they could do the biopsy. So I did have the ultrasound guided biopsy at that time. A day or two later I got the results. The radiologist called me with the results.

I hope all goes well tomorrow. Please keep us posted if you don't mind sharing.

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    edited February 2022
    Options

It depends on where you go, their facilities, etc. I guess that most places would not be set up to provide same day MRI biopsies on the fly, but it's definitely possible.