Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Waiting for biopsy results !

delarbar
delarbar Member Posts: 15
edited February 2022 in Waiting for Test Results

Hello - thankful for this forum where i can ask questions and read comments. I'm 69 years old and had a mammogram this past Monday at which time they noticed suspicious mass. They did a 3D mammogram and an ultrasound at that time.

IMPRESSION: SUSPICIOUS OF MALIGNANCY
The 0.404 cm x 0.513 cm x 0.7 cm irregular mass in the left breast at 12
o'clock middle depth is at a moderate suspicion for malignancy. An
ultrasound guided biopsy is recommended.

Today was the core biopsy. Results should be back in 2-3 days. I'm a nervous wreck. Radiologist explained the mass is small, which is good sign.

I was diagnosed with Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma 6 years ago and am currently in remission. Scared to death this is all going to come back. It's going to be a long couple of days, trying to keep busy and doing alot of praying.

When I research the size of the mass, it is usually in whole numbers like 1cm or 5 cm. I'm not good at numbers, so i have a question. Based on my sizes above, do I consider them 4cm x 5cm or are they truly less than the whole number.

Thank you for any support or comments.

Comments

• The other way to describe the size is to say that the mass is 4.04 mm X 5.13 mm X 7 mm. A mm, millimeter, is one tenth the size of a cm, centimeter. So it is much smaller than what you've been thinking.

Hope the results of the biopsy are good!

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857

Hi -- I want to chime in and say, if it were .5cm or 5mm, it would be about the size of a peppercorn. So the size described is something like, a little bigger than a peppercorn, a little smaller than a pea. Hopefully that helps you visualize it. It really is pretty small.

Good luck. Please let us know what you find out.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,889

Dear delarbar,

Welcome to the BCO community. We are sorry for what brings you here. We are glad that you reached out with your question. You have already received responses from our members that we hope will be helpful to you and possibly ease some of your worry. Keep us posted on what you learn and how we can all continue to provide support.

The Mods

• delarbar

The first report is in ---

Left breast, 12:00, 3 cm FN, core biopsy with ribbon clip Invasive ductal

carcinoma, provisional Nottingham grade 1, spanning 0.7 cm, with

microcalcifications

A care team is ialready in place and I'm waiting for an appointment with a surgeon. I guess I expected the results but was hoping I was wrong. I felt bad that I had a meltdown during my conversation with the radiologist. I'm taking deep breathes and trying to convince myself that the sun will rise tomorrow and I will get through this.

Because of my Waldenstrom Non Hodgkin Lymphoma I am already being treated for depression and anxiety so it's going to take an army to get me through this. I WILL GET THROUGH THIS !!

Thank you all for your continued support and reaching out.

God Bless !

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605

Don't feel bad about the meltdown, I'm sure you weren't the first and won't be the last. So sorry you have to deal with this but....you can do it! The sun will definitely rise tomorrow and many tomorrows after that.

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736

You are 100% correct - the sun will rise tomorrow and you will get through this!

For many of us, the time you are in right now between result and the first doctor's appointment is the hardest time. I hope that will be true for you also. Your results so far sound likely to be favorable, and I hope they will stay that way as well.

If you're already being treated by a psych, definitely keep them in the loop about this and they may have some ideas about pharmaceutical support to help you get through.

Do you have access to a good cancer center nearby? I would start calling right away because to reduce the wait time for an initial appointment. Not because the treatment is urgent, but because that first oncologist appointment really can be huge for mental health.

You will get through this! Heart

• vandercat
    vandercat Member Posts: 43

Yeah - what Salamandra said. Once you've had the surgery you will have the plan in place and can calm down.

PS - I have had many a meltdown, and have learned the professionals can take it.

• delarbar

Thank you everyone. I am affiliated with the Cleveland Clinic Tausig Cancer Center. As soon as they called me, they had a Care Team in place, whom have reached out to me. I should know tomorrow the date for my first appointment with the surgeon.

• vandercat

It is excellent to hear that you are in the care of a team at a major cancer center (I don't think you're supposed to name them, but, too late). If your experience is anything like mine, even with the best caring professionals, there will be times when you'll have to sit in the waiting room, or a mammography suite, or a consultation room, you will have time to kill. So get a good book to read on your phone. A word from a former librarian

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,938

Vandercat, I've never seen anything here prohibiting naming hospitals. In fact, people sometimes ask for regional recommendations.

And delarbar, welcome aboard. And welcome to the Cancer Crap Magnet Club, for those of us who have had multiple run-ins with the beastie.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,889

Dear delarbar,

As you can see there is a great deal of support here in the community. Again we are so glad that you have reached out and included everyone here in your story. We hope that you will message us, the Mods, for help with resources and information as you need. Just a note that it is certainly ok to mention your treatment center. We hope that you continue to be served well by them.

The Mods

• delarbar

My Surgeon appointment is on Friday, so happy I was able to get in right away. My daughter will be out of town so I'm on my own, which I'm okay with.

Looking for what questions I need to ask. I'm slated for an hour appointment which I was surprised it would be that long.

Thank you

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293

delarbar, I would suggest reading this section of the BCO site- all the subsections

https://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/surgery

You will then understand the terms and options that might come up.at your appointment. The surgeon will go over what surgery they recommend. When they make their recommendations, one thing to consider is whether the recommendation is related to cancer outcome or aesthetic outcome or both.

You may want to to think about which options you'd prefer, but depending on your case, your surgeon might say that some things are not options for you so we don't always get to pick.

Know that you do not need to make a decision on the spot, and that you can ask for a second opinion.

Do not bother asking about chemo or any other treatments. Surgeons cut. The medical oncologist and radiation oncologist will make their own recommendations later. Surgeons sometimes talk about what will happen later but often they're wrong and it's not their specialty so focus on surgery only.

Best wishes

• vandercat

Wise words. I decided to go with my second opinion, and I am confident about it. I have read a lot and thought a lot and think I am ready to hear what the MO and the RO have to say after I get (hopefully good) path results from the BS next Monday.

• delarbar

UPDATE - it's been a whirlwind 2 weeks --- met with the surgeon, radiologist and oncologist. Had a biopsy, sentinel node implant, scout implant. On 2/22/22 I had a lumpectomy and lymph node removed. Surgeon told us after the surgery that everything went very well. Scheduled for my post op on March 4.

Doing well after surgery, breast is a bit tender. Underarm and everything attached (lol) does hurt, but nothing I can't handle.

After conversations with my care team, I'm feeling positive and know we will take each step as it comes.

Thank you to everyone for your support, it makes a world of difference. I'm hoping to offer support to others on this site as we all go through this together.

God Bless

• delarbar

Received a call from my surgeon and the test results came back negative for both lymph nodes and the margins. Next step is a follow up meeting with radiation oncology and medical oncology for the next step.

Incision area swelling has gone down a bit, still touchy and I've been using ice packs. Having a hard time laying down at night because of the pulling.

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736

That's good news on the margins and lymph nodes! :)

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857

delarbar, your stats show the mass as 6cm+. Is that correct? Or .6cm = 6mm. ?

• delarbar

The size is 12mm - 1.2 cm I will update.