Topic: 2nd opinion showed involved margins

Forum: Waiting for Test Results — We know, waiting is VERY difficult but we're here for you.

Posted on: Mar 15, 2022 07:38PM - edited Mar 15, 2022 11:29PM by wondering44

Posted on: Mar 15, 2022 07:38PM - edited Mar 15, 2022 11:29PM by wondering44

wondering44 wrote:

Ladies,

I need some help to understand the pathology report better, please. I had a nipple-sparing mastectomy on 08/18/21. The pathology report showed negative margins for IDC and DCIS. After some hiccups, I decided to get a second opinion out of state. The new Center started everything from the beginning. They reviewed the slides and re-did the pathology report from the mastectomy. I got the report this evening, so there is no doctor to ask tonight.

The new pathology report showed involved margins:

IDC Superior & Deep Margins

DCIS Superior, Deep, and Inferior margins

So, is this why radiation is done? I did radiation after the mastectomy. Is radiation done to nix cancer left in the margins?

Surgery 8/18/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing Dx DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx IDC, Right, 2cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx IDC, Right, 6cm+, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/31/2022 Mastectomy (Left): Skin Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Skin Sparing
Log in to post a reply

Page 3 of 3 (25 results)

Log in to post a reply

Apr 6, 2022 12:59PM - edited Apr 6, 2022 01:10PM by wondering44

scared,

I received an explanation from the oncologist. Basically, when I was told to stop taking Letrozole my levels went up and the increase was new. I explained that was incorrect. I started taking Letrozole again before the labs to check levels. I had my levels checked four times between August and December 2021 before I started medication. It clearly shows the levels increased on the Letrozole. I asked when I'd get scanned again to check right side based on the incorrect pathology and the increased levels. I was told I need more time (months) before doing any re-checks to allow any inflammation to go down from treatments last year. I understand that decision and will NOT take that advice.


Thank you for your post. I appreciate your info. on your treatment. It seems to be very in line with all of the studies I pulled this past weekend.

Surgery 8/18/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing Dx DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx IDC, Right, 2cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx IDC, Right, 6cm+, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/31/2022 Mastectomy (Left): Skin Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Skin Sparing
Log in to post a reply

Apr 13, 2022 07:31PM - edited Apr 17, 2022 06:38AM by wondering44


My plastic surgeon said I need to discuss the NSM with the incorrect pathology with the new MO before reconstruction. He thinks the whole breast needs to get removed and reconstruction postponed another year. Why am I getting this info. from a PS and not my MO or BS when I notified them of the wrong path??? Frustrated that I have a San Diego trip in June and Jamaica trip in August already booked. I was looking forward to boobs in a swimsuit. Reconstruction on pause. I already knew that I needed to cancel it. I just really wanted my boobs back. Wishful thinking.

I do have swelling and pain around my right breast and ribs (lower inner quadrant and lower and upper inner quadrant and underarm). It is very noticeable in my outer quadrant. And a lump (small hard area) in lower left quadrant next to swollen, painful ribs. This is new finding this past week. I am crossing fingers it is due to radiation (not researched much yet).


Surgery 8/18/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing Dx DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx IDC, Right, 2cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx IDC, Right, 6cm+, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/31/2022 Mastectomy (Left): Skin Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Skin Sparing
Log in to post a reply

Apr 20, 2022 06:09PM - edited Apr 25, 2022 06:18PM by wondering44

This Post was deleted by wondering44.
Surgery 8/18/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing Dx DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx IDC, Right, 2cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx IDC, Right, 6cm+, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/31/2022 Mastectomy (Left): Skin Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Skin Sparing
Log in to post a reply

Apr 25, 2022 12:32PM - edited Apr 25, 2022 06:18PM by wondering44

Update:

Will do ovarian suppression and check levels in 2-3 months for menopause before starting an AI.

Start scans tomorrow to check for residual tissue and disease in right breast to confirm moving forward with complete mastectomy and natural reconstruction. I will have to wait to remove right breast due to radiation tissue damage since I did rads prior to removal with the incorrect pathology. I do scans to check for metastatic disease/restaging (crossing fingers).

Bilateral mammograms, bilateral ultrasounds, whole body bone scans, whole body CTs. MRI to follow after all other scan completed.

I will have answers quickly...

Surgery 8/18/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing Dx DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx IDC, Right, 2cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx IDC, Right, 6cm+, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/31/2022 Mastectomy (Left): Skin Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Skin Sparing
Log in to post a reply

Apr 27, 2022 11:59AM - edited Apr 27, 2022 12:25PM by wondering44

Great news! CT and Bone scans all good.

I have a ruptured implant (right breast). I have an MRI scheduled this evening to determine if the remaining breast tissue has residual disease. The remaining residual tissue confirms the removal of the right breast.

I have a biopsy scheduled for the left breast for multiple spots found on mammogram. Just had a negative ultrasound and mammogram in February (hometown results).

I will take the good news in having the removal of the right breast and possible left breast. At this point, adding the left breast (if biopsy is not benign) is the best outcome I could hope to receive. :-)

Surgery 8/18/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing Dx DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx IDC, Right, 2cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx IDC, Right, 6cm+, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/31/2022 Mastectomy (Left): Skin Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Skin Sparing

Page 3 of 3 (25 results)

Scroll to top button