Topic: Couldn’t find lump on ultrasound

Forum: Waiting for Test Results — We know, waiting is VERY difficult but we're here for you.

Posted on: Mar 24, 2022 09:12AM - edited Mar 24, 2022 10:06AM by littlefeather

Posted on: Mar 24, 2022 09:12AM - edited Mar 24, 2022 10:06AM by littlefeather

littlefeather wrote:

Hello all,

I am 38 years old. I went for a mammogram about 10 days ago (due to pain in right side). The mammogram detected a 2.3 cm mass on the left side that the doctor wanted confirmed as cystic or solid.

I went to my ultrasound today and the tech took some pictures but then said she couldn't find anything of that large of size. She said she was going to go and look at my mammogram. When she came back she said I was good to go.

It will be a couple of days before the doctor has a report so I am not sure if they found anything

Could it have been a cyst that disappeared?

But now I am really worried because while she was gone I took a picture of her screen where she had the ultrasound pictures and now I am beside myself diagnosingthe worst case scenario looking at them. I should be relieved that she couldn't find the mass but am sick with worry :(

Page 1 of 2 (11 results)

Mar 24, 2022 10:01AM moderators wrote:

Hi littlefeather, We welcome you warmly to our community Medicating. It sounds like you've been through a lot in the last few weeks to cause you worry. This may be a good situation where you want to get a second opinion, or request an MRI due the discrepancy of findings. Perhaps a good place to start is to contact your doctor to discuss. We're here for you!!

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Mar 25, 2022 02:56AM rah2464 wrote:

Littlefeather I would also echo the suggestion to have a conversation with your doctor (whether GYN or Breast doctor). Were you given any indication on your breast density? Very dense breasts can be more difficult to image, leading to just these types of situations. Your doctor may want to follow up image again in 6 months, or they may suggest MRI depending on your risk profile.

Dx 5/23/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/26/2018 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 7/26/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Mar 27, 2022 04:32AM jons_girl wrote:

I would agree. If you have any breast cancer in your family you’d probably qualify for a mri. If you can qualify to have one, they rarely miss anything cancer wise, I think. Just remember to advocate for yourself. So important. Sometimes we have to push for what will help out our minds at ease. If your worried, push for a mri. We are here for support! Keep us updated when you have time.

Breast cancer at age 49. Felt tumor. Wasn’t caught on mammo even after feeling tumor. Ultrasound caught my cancer. Dx 6/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/5/2017 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal

Mar 30, 2022 05:27PM wc3 wrote:

littlefeather:

I would ask your doctor why the technician said you were "good to go." If there is something on the mammogram that is not showing on the ultrasound then I would request an MRI. My cancer was missed on both mammogram and ultrasound though it was palpable.

Pathologic complete response (pCR) to chemotherapy. Dx 2018, IDC, Left, 3cm, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 5/31/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/14/2018 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Zoladex (goserelin) Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant

Mar 30, 2022 10:39PM jons_girl wrote:

I completely agree with wc3. I would push for a mri. Just to make sure all is ok.

Breast cancer at age 49. Felt tumor. Wasn’t caught on mammo even after feeling tumor. Ultrasound caught my cancer. Dx 6/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/5/2017 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal

May 10, 2022 02:11AM ness7432 wrote:

Hi there, I would also ask them what that means exactly. I just had my first mammo and that lead to a diagnostic one which then led to an ultrasound. The area in question on the left side was found on the u/s and needs a biopsy but the area on the right side is seen on mammo but they could not find it on the u/s, so they are also doing a biopsy there guided by the mammogram machine (stereotactic biopsy). I would def ask what exactly good to go means too!

May 11, 2022 04:14PM - edited May 11, 2022 04:15PM by cathy67

I think "good to go" means all pictures are done, patient can leave, it does not mean no disease found. I found different countries have different ways, some women said oncologist talks to them, but in my country, they never talked to us.

Oncotype 6, Dx 08/06/2019, IDC, Right, 2.1 cm, Grade2, 1/1 nodes,ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/9/2019 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy 11/20/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/26/2019 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

May 11, 2022 09:52PM ssc110907 wrote:

Wc3-

What was your next step after your palpable lump didn't show on the mammo or ultrasound? This is where I'm currently at. My husband and I can feel a mass...but it is up too high for the mammo to see it. And nothing showed on the ultrasound. So the radiologist and my pcp told me I'm good to go for another year. Thought they gave me no answers to the palpable lump.

May 11, 2022 10:10PM - edited May 11, 2022 10:10PM by katg

If in doubt, your body, get another opinion. I am at a cancer center, and i had just had a mammogram on my remaining best. The other was removed in Feb of this year. I need an ultrasound now, as the person reading the mammogram thought there could be something. BIRADS 0. So, Friday morning and ultrasound. I think this is good, as i was to get that breast removed May 31st, but got a blood clot on April 8th or so and must wait. This way i will know if i have more targeted therapy before the removal of my breast in likely early August. I have Brca2. HER2 positive. Aggressive.

I would certainly show them the lump you feel. Have them test to find out what it is. An MRI is good. I agree with that. Do you have a breast cancer surgeon? Someone that does this daily.

You stand up for you.

Chemotherapy 8/14/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2022 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 2/9/2022 Cryotherapy (Left); Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Left): Modified Radical, Nipple Sparing, Partial, Radical, Simple, Skin Sparing; Prophylactic mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction (Left): Aesthetic Flat Closure, Fat grafting, Nipple reconstruction, Nipple tattoo, Removal (Left), Tissue Expander Dx IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2+, ISH, IHC

May 11, 2022 10:13PM - edited May 11, 2022 10:30PM by jons_girl

I completely agree with what katg said

my cancer was not seen on a mammo. I felt a lump. Ultrasound caught it. But if it wasn't seen on either mammo or ultrasound, I'd demand a MRI. There are people in this forum that have had mammos miss cancer. Also others where ultrasound didn't see their cancer. It is rare for MRI to miss cancer. So if I were in your shoes I'd request a MRI. Tell them your not comfortable with the answers you've gotten and want a MRI to double check. If the primary dr says no you can always find another primary dr. We are here for support. Have a wonderful week

Page 1 of 2 (11 results)

Scroll to top button