Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Help please? Just got callback with this message…

garden43
garden43 Member Posts: 2
edited May 2022 in Waiting for Test Results

Hi,

I’m so anxious and afraid of what google will tell me and thought posting here might be the best way to get some info before I can can call my doctors office tomorrow.

I’m 43, dense breast tissue, no known history of breast cancer. I just received this email after my mammogram:

FOCAL ASYMMETRY IN THE LEFT BREAST REQUIRES ADDITIONAL EVALUATION. Compared to prior mammograms in 2020 and 2021. BIRADS 0.

Comments

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited May 2022

It just means they see something a bit different from prior mammograms, and will likely order more scans for evaluating. Try not to worry; getting called back for additional imaging is pretty common. Let us know what they tell you when you call tomorrow. Hugs.

• quietgirl
    quietgirl Member Posts: 165
    edited May 2022

“The most common cause for an asymmetry on screening mammography is superimposition of normal breast tissue “. Meaning that how you were position in the machine causes the picture not an actual issue. Obviously that is not always the answer but it is often the issu

• garden43
    garden43 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2022

Thank you so much. What a supportive community. I’m glad I posted here. :

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited May 2022

Birads 0 essentially means "we didn't see enough good images to tell what we're looking at in that spot"

The description language is used to document what & where the improperly viewed spot is, it is not really a statement about what is in your breast at this time. You just need a re-do.

• katg
    katg Member Posts: 206
    edited May 2022

I just had one a couple days ago. My breast surgeon viewed the images and showed me what she saw. Dense tissue and calcifications and bits that were in my tumor breast as well, except this new image on my right breast showed nothing unusual to her. So, the radiologist reading the mammogram said it could warrant an MRI to look closer. I saw that post in my portal today.

MRIs are fascinating. Lay face down with your breasts hanging down. That imaging gets it all. Please get back with us. You are right. There is a lot of support and encouragement here.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,808
    edited May 2022

garden, we're so glad you found us and decided to ask our members instead of searching on the internet. As you can see, this s wonderful source of support and information - Welcome!

Please, come back to let us know what your doctor says tomorrow! In the meantime, try to stay positive and keep busy and focused on other things in your life. That will help you manage the anxiety that usually comes with the waiting.

Best wishes!

The Mods