Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Waiting on biopsy

Options
mellybeane
mellybeane Member Posts: 2
edited August 2022 in Waiting for Test Results

I am a 47 year old mom of 4. I recently had my routine 3-D mammogram and was called back for further testing on my left breast. I wasn't too worried because I was called back last year for the right one. Last year, I had an ultra sound and no further tests were needed.. Fast forward to this year and the other breast...they are recommending a biopsy. I can feel the lump now that I know where it is, but didn't find it before with my self exam. I know that it it probably benign, but that doesn't stop me for worrying. I have pasted the results below. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Study Result

Impression

Suspicious mass left breast 10:30. Ultrasound-guided core
biopsy recommended.

IT IS OUR POLICY TO NOTIFY ALL MAMMOGRAPHY PATIENTS OF THEIR RESULTS BY
LETTER.

BIRADS assessment:

Result Code: (4) SUSPICIOUS ABNORMALITY - BIOPSY SHOULD BE CONSIDERED

Follow Up: (BX) RECOMMEND BIOPSY

Narrative

INDICATION: Call back for partially imaged mass in the deep upper left
breast seen on the MLO view only

COMPARISON: Previous mammograms dating back to 11/03/2017

FINDINGS: Spot films were obtained in the MLO and exaggerated CC
projections with a full ML view. Persistent of the mass is noted on the
MLO spot film and the full ML view. The lesion is not well visualized on
the cc view due to its depth, but should be medial based on the
tomosynthesis synthesis grid.

Targeted ultrasound of the left upper inner breast was performed at
posterior depth demonstrating a solid slightly heterogeneous taller than
wide mass at 10:30 11 cm from the nipple measuring 1.4 x 1.1 x 1.1 cm.
There is no enhancement or shadowing behind the lesion. Targeted
ultrasound of the left axilla was also performed, demonstrating only

normal appearing left axillary lymph nodes.

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,747
    Options

I’m sorry you find yourself in this situation. The unknown is worrisome but a biopsy should help clarify things. So my advice is to schedule that biopsy and hopefully it will be negative as most are. No one has a crystal ball so try to focus on what you know and don’t spend too much time speculating about things you don’t know yet. Take care.

• speccomo
    speccomo Member Posts: 12
    Options

I’ll second that thought - don’t buy trouble before it goes on sale. You’ll know more once the biopsy results come in, so try not to overthink before then. Good luck

• sarahmaude
    sarahmaude Member Posts: 336
    Options

Agree with speccomo and exbrngrl, the biopsy will let you know. If it’s any comfort at all, BIRADS 4 is less indication of malignancy than my BIRADS 5. The biopsy itself isn’t too bad. If you’ve got a good sports bra, that’s helpful in healing from the tiny core biopsy incision you will have. No stitches, just steri strips. We’re here for you through the process.

And the waiting, that was the hardest for me. Do your best to distract yourself. Do what you enjoy and just keep moving forward.

• rrobin0200
    rrobin0200 Member Posts: 80
    Options

I agree with all of the comments above. Schedule the biopsy and then *try* not to think about it while awaiting results. Easier said than done for sure, but keep yourself busy. You indicated that you’re a mom of 4. Schedule fun activities with them. If they’re older, meet up for lunch or dinner. My best advice though… ask your doctor when he/she expects the results. Will your doctor give you results over the phone or do you need an appointment? If an appt is required, schedule it based on the approximation of when results should be in. Or, It is it possible to find your results on your patient portal? Waiting is hard. Honestly, it was the worst part for me. We understand what you’re going through, but please reach out if you need us! We’ve “been there, done that.”

• mvr168
    mvr168 Member Posts: 8
    Options

I’m in the same boat as you. I had my biopsy 4 days ago. Schedule it ASAP because most biopsies are benign but in case it is not the sooner the better. My mammogram had been clear but with dense tissue I got an ultrasound so the biopsies were a shock but I had them done then and there. I’m a Mom too and I know it’s so stressful once they have found something! Hoping we both get good results 🤞🏼.

• mellybeane
    mellybeane Member Posts: 2
    Options

I am still waiting on the orders to be sent over so that I can schedule. Hoping that happens sooner rather than later. I have tried calling, but I can't make an appointment before they get the orders. Hoping you get good results sooner rather than later!

• sarahmaude
    sarahmaude Member Posts: 336
    Options

mellybeane, ugh. Waiting on others to take steps before you take your next. That has to be frustrating! Again, I know you want answers, so keep pushing. But also, I didn’t realize that even clearly aggressive tumors (my signature line has my details) like mine aren’t “emergency” situations. I’m kind of an energizer bunny in my real life. With cancer, I’ve realized that the tortoise model is equally effective and with proper diligence on your and your providers’ side, you will beat any of the clinically recommended times needed to address any potential cancer or, likely non-cancer.

The other thing I channeled, which might or might not help you, is that until I knew it was cancer, it wasn’t. Which just meant I had no to do list items or required worrying until I knew something. It didn’t keep me from speculating, but it did take pressure off of my thinking I had to do anything. Including worrying any of my friends or family. That was how I handled my waiting. Also, with my BIRADS 5, I had my biopsy the afternoon following that mammogram and ultrasound. The fact you aren’t being rushed is positive in my estimation. Doesn’t mean you need to ignore, but do realize that you aren’t in an emergency situation. Please come back to this thread and keep us updated. I can see that come what may, you are going to do well. Hugs.

• yosss
    yosss Member Posts: 4
    Options

I am sorry you are going through this, I can relate all too well. I am a 26 year old mother of a 1 year old who is due to get a biopsy tomorrow for a lesion on my right breast. I was hoping to get some advice from others.

My findings were:

Previously noted hypo echoic lesion at the right 6 o'clock position 3 cm from the nipple is demonstrated and corresponds the area palpable concern but appears more indistinct with margin irregularity, now considered suspicious, measuring 14 x 7 x 15 mm. There are no abnormal-appearing lymph nodes within the axilla.

Impressions: Indeterminate 1.5cm right

BIRADS 4: Suspicious

• Luckynumber47
    Luckynumber47 Member Posts: 53
    Options

yosss, good luck with your biopsy tomorrow. Keep in mind that BIRADS 4 means 80% benign. Odds are definitely in your favor.

Lucky