Topic: Waiting for the biopsy results.

Forum: Waiting for Test Results — We know, waiting is VERY difficult but we're here for you.

Posted on: Aug 3, 2022 03:58PM

Posted on: Aug 3, 2022 03:58PM

windwalker27 wrote:

Hello,

I am new here. I had an abnormal mammogram (spiculated spot) and ultrasound so far. I also had a biopsy on Monday. The results are not back yet. However the surgeon called the pathologist and got the preliminary results: IDC, grade 2-3 (no molecular profile yet -ER?PR?HER?). I am thinking about having a mastectomy next week if I don’t need a neoadjuvant treatment. Rethinking my life. All I really want is another 4 years to put my child through college. I am worrying I don’t have that. How are you guys dealing with the unknown

Page 3 of 4 (34 results)

Aug 4, 2022 11:20PM kaynotrealname wrote:

Mavericksmom, you are exactly right that you can only move ahead and if my words caused you pain I am so sorry. It just surprised me and I hurt for you. May your DCIS be dealt with swiftly and may it be the last time cancer rears it's ugly head with you.

Windwalker, a double mastectomy is preferable than getting one mastectomy at a time. Less recovery time. Honestly mine has been pretty uneventful. Off prescription pain medication four days in, felt pretty normal a week out, and mobility was never really affected although I've been careful. Now four weeks out I'm just working on stretching so everything loosens up. I expect my reconstruction early next year to be a much more complicated process. You can do it at the same time but the plastic surgeon couldn't get me in during the time frame I was comfortable with so I just went ahead with the double mastectomy. As far as monitoring one thing that will be nice is that they don't really. At least not with scans. Not enough breast tissue left. You are expected to do breast self exams as will your doctor. And they'll monitor you by blood work and I assume full body scans at least for the first few years. The rate probably depends on your stage. Personally I'm of the opinion that the less scans the better especially regarding the scans with radiation exposure. They're stressful and I hate them. Sure I want to catch anything bad early but my new breasts will be much easier to monitor than my old ones (I had very large, dense natural breasts and am looking forward to fatty, uncomplicated small ones) so I expect that if something goes wrong there it'll be fairly easy to catch. And as far as distant spread, if I don't have symptoms I don't want to know about it. Just my preference though but I won't try to convince my oncologist in regards to that argument that more is better if they don't think so. Anyway good luck with your August 9th appointment. I hope you get the answers you need and feel at peace with your decision.

Aug 4, 2022 11:46PM lw422 wrote:

MavericksMom--so sorry to hear of this latest development. I hope things go well when you see the new surgeon. Good for you for letting go of the past and focusing on your future. My best to you.

Aug 4, 2022 11:54PM mavericksmom wrote:

Kaynotrealname, Your words did not cause me pain! I thought I was over blaming the doctor I had for refusing to allow me to have a double mastectomy when I requested one. Maybe it is because it is nighttime and things always feel worse at night, but the fact is I should NOT have to go through any of this now! My surgery was less than three years ago! Unless I am just not thinking clearly, my breast had cancer in it when I had surgery to remove my other breast, it just wasn't detected!

I have severe lymphedema in my left arm, now I fear having it in my right arm as well. I guess I will have to wait to hear what my surgeon says next week. I just feel so sad. I am worried about my husband, my family. I can't believe I am facing this a third time! I don't want to feel that anger again, but I am feeling anger tonight. I can't sleep. I am way past retirement age, and this could cause me problems with my employer. I hope tomorrow I feel more positive, but right now, I don't. I am definitely going to have to find some emotional support.

Dx 6/6/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/24 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 12/4/2018, ILC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 5, 2022 01:39AM maggie15 wrote:

Mavericksmom, I am so sorry you have to go through this a third time. Hopefully you can have fewer nodes removed to lower the chance of lymphedema in the other arm. It sounds like your new surgeon will listen to you and do his best to help. Shout, complain and get your frustrations out to help you process this. I hope you have the best outcome possible.

DX 2/15/2021, IDC, Right, 3 cm, stage 2A, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 5, 2022 05:40AM mavericksmom wrote:

Thanks, Maggie and Iw422, ! I didn't sleep much at all last night, but I know my doctor I have now will come up with the best plan forward for me. It is hard to trust after being lied to by a doctor, but I wouldn't want to be judged because of what someone else did, so I am putting my trust in my new breast surgeon. I am very glad I got to meet him and form an opinion prior to my mammogram. I walked out of his office knowing I was in good hands, while being completely unaware of the breast cancer inside me.

Breast cancer is as much about our mind as it is about our breasts! It definitely is an emotional roller coaster!

Dx 6/6/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/24 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 12/4/2018, ILC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 5, 2022 09:00PM windwalker27 wrote:

I got my biopsy results today. Grade 2, Er+ PR+ HER- idc. It looks like it’s the most common molecular makeup

Aug 5, 2022 10:43PM kaynotrealname wrote:

I am so sorry you have to go through this a third time, too. It's not fair. But cancer never is. But it sounds like you have a great surgeon who will listen to you and maybe you won't even have to have any more lymph nodes taken out. After all it's DCIS, stage 0. And I had a double mastectomy. Maybe I was lucky but it's been a pretty easy recovery. Emotionally I don't struggle with missing my breasts. I struggle with not knowing whether this damn thing will sneak back. But we all do and we'll deal with it as it comes. Hopefully this weekend will bring you some peace as you begin to wrap your head around this yet again.

Aug 5, 2022 10:46PM kaynotrealname wrote:

Breast cancer is always awful but that's what you want to see if it's invasive. Unless the tumor is big and you want a lumpectomy then you'll probably be able to avoid chemo before surgery and can go straight in. If the nodes are clear they'll send the tumor for an oncotype test and you have a good shot of being able to avoid chemo. Many good thoughts and hugs sent your way!!

Aug 6, 2022 12:42AM - edited Aug 6, 2022 12:44AM by maggie15

Windwalker, your molecular profile is the best one to have if, unfortunately, you have one. I hope your appointment with the surgeon goes well.

DX 2/15/2021, IDC, Right, 3 cm, stage 2A, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 6, 2022 06:33AM windwalker27 wrote:

Thank you guys for encouragements. I am sure I will have more questions for you next week. Thank you for sharing your wisdom

Page 3 of 4 (34 results)

Scroll to top button