Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

BI-RADS 5 and biopsy yesterday

Options
coloradomom1
coloradomom1 Member Posts: 7
edited October 2022 in Waiting for Test Results

It is looking very likely that I have breast cancer. I am 41. I had a routine screening mammogram two weeks ago, which I've done for several years due to having cystic breasts. I received a call asking me to come back in for further imaging. I thought nothing of it as I'd received the same call a few years ago, and it was nothing. Last week I went for the diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound. The technician left after the ultrasound to talk with the radiologist. When she returned, the radiologist was with her, and I knew then something was going on. The radiologist told me I had a suspicious mass and needed a biopsy. I asked how likely it was I could have breast cancer, and he said the area of concern was a BI-RADS category 5, which meant there is a 95% likelihood that this is breast cancer. Also there was a cyst found, which was aspirated yesterday along with the biopsy

I had the biopsy yesterday. I'm glad that's behind me. It wasn't painful, thankfully, but just took a long time due to computer issues and felt like forever due to my own anxiety. About four hours later, I began experiencing some pretty bad pain. I had already taken Tylenol and had ice on that breast. The rest of the evening was spent it a lot of pain. Ouch ouch ouch. I wasn't really able to rest as I had to take my daughter to activities. I could hardly sleep last night the pain was so bad. It kept waking me up, and the Tylenol wasn't even taking an edge off of the pain. The ice was giving me more relief than the Tylenol. Today I'm doing better. There's pain, but it doesn't feel unmanageable like last night. As long as I'm not moving around much and keep the ice on a 20 minute schedule, the pain feels under control. Luckily I don't have to be anywhere other than picking my daughter up at school later.

I am feeling scared and overwhelmed at the possibility of breast cancer. I'm a single mom to an almost-teen. I'm her only parent. I am fortunate to have some family living nearby and have shared with them what's going on. I've also shared with some friends. It's really difficult for me to not feel incredibly anxious. All of the pieces to this that I don't know are so difficult. I keep wondering, with my dense breasts, is it possible I had breast cancer last year that wasn't detected on my mammogram? I suppose there's no way to know.

I'm grateful to have found this site and appreciate the discussions here.

Here are my reports (mammogram and ultrasound)

Exam: left diagnostic mammogram with tomosynthesis

Comparison: correlation is made with the patient's most recent screening mammogram dated September 13, 2022 and multiple other prior studies.

Indication: Callback for an asymmetry of possible architechtural distortion, masses and calcifications present in the upper outer left breast.

Breast Density: Heterogeneously dense, which may obscure small masses (category C).

Findings: There is persistent architectural distortion and a mass present in the upper outer left breast posterior depth there are associated punctate micro calcifications with the area of architectural distortion. There appears to be persistence of a reniform mass slightly inferior and medial to the area of architectural distortion appears to represent intramammary lymph node. In addition there is a second rather well-circumscribed mass also corresponding to the findings on screening mammography.

Further workup with ultrasound recommended.

Digital breast tomosynthesis was performed.

Exam: ultrasound left breast, targeted

Findings: area evaluated: 1-3 o'clock in the left axilla

1:30 N5: There is an area of sonographic architectural distortion associated with the mass measuring 8 x 5 x 9 mm. This correlates with the area of architectural distortion seen on mammography. Tissue sampling with ultrasound guidance is recommended.

2:00 N5: Normal-appearing lymph node within a band of dense tissue corresponding to mammographic finding.

2:00 N4: Simple cyst corresponding in size and location to the mammographic abnormality.

2:00 N3: Incidental likely small cyst however internal echoes are observed. Cyst aspiration at the time of biopsy of the lesion at 1:30 N5 is recommended.

Axillary lymph nodes are normal.

Impression:

1. Area of sonographic architectural distortion associated with the mass and correlating with the mammographic area of architectural distortion calcifications. Tissue sampling with ultrasound guidance recommended.

2. Cyst with internal debris present 2:00 N3 cyst aspiration and time sampling is recommended.

3. Benign lymph node and simple cyst at 2:00 N5 and 2:00 N4 respectively.

Comments

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 366
    edited September 2022
    Options

First of all don't give yourself breast cancer until someone tells you that you have it. Architectural distortions can sometimes still be a result of benign masses. Radial scars for instance. I will also point out that even if the worst case scenario does indeed occur your lymph nodes appear to be benign. That's good! Your mass is also small. Another good! There are many types of breast cancer and they all have really good treatments now thanks to the massive amount of money thrown at this very common cancer. So although this is an awful club to be in, IF you join it, you do have tons of company and lots of support. Good luck and I hope your results come quickly. Once they do, believe it or not no matter what, you tend to feel better. We're all aware that this no-man's land of do I or don't I is torturous and I hope you leave it soon.

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited September 2022
    Options

ColoradoMom1--so sorry that you find yourself here, but you came to the right place. We all totally understand your level of anxiety and the feelings you are experiencing this week. Birads 5 is scary, but like Kay said, if it turns out to be cancer then you have positives in your favor. The waiting is the absolute WORST. So try to be calm and here's hoping that you will get good news. I wish you the absolute best outcome, so please let us know what you hear. Take care and cyber hugs to you.

• melbo
    melbo Member Posts: 266
    edited October 2022
    Options

the waiting is truly the worst part. Hopefully you will be in the 5% that gets good news after a bi-rads 5, but as the others have said, if you’re not there there is still a lot of hope. Catching breast cancer early is why the screenings exist, because when caught early there are treatments that work most of the time.

These early days are awful, but as you get more information you will adjust as necessary. Please check back in when you find out. There is a wealth of knowledge and camaraderie in this community and I if you get bad news the people here will be able to help.

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    edited October 2022
    Options
    It's okay to be anxious and afraid! You're facing a likely cancer diagnosis. If you need to cry, scream, punch a pillow, or throw some rocks at a tree, go do it. But like the others said, waiting is the worst part. Once the initial shock wears off, you get more detailed results, and you have a treatment plan in place, you'll feel a lot better. It's great that you have friends and family nearby to support you too! Don't be shy about leaning on them and asking for help when you need it, even if it's as simple as asking somebody to come do your laundry or run errands.
  • rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    edited October 2022
    Options

Coloradomom sorry you find yourself having a biopsy and the dreaded wait for news. We all understand how it feels. Sending you hope that you are in the 5% that things are benign. But if they aren't, you are already taking the steps you need to get better. You have a whole community of sisters (and a few brothers) that will support you every step of the way.

I do hope the pain level you are experiencing is going down. If it isn't, communicate with your medical team. It is possible they have irritated a nerve somewhere or that a stitch is pulling. There are some medication options to help with that type of nerve response.

• coloradomom1
    edited October 2022
    Options

Thanks for the replies. Yes, my pain has subsided, thankfully. It was bad the night right after I had the biopsy but was substantially better by morning. It’s much better now. It just feels sore. The bruising is quite colorful. I was expecting bruising but was surprised at the extent of it.

I’m trying to take this a day at a time as I wait for the results. It’s very anxiety-inducing. I hope I will get the results this week.

• coloradomom1
    edited October 2022
    Options

Update: my biopsy results came back today. I do have breast cancer. It is invasive carcinoma. My doctor said the report said “of no special type.” So I don’t know exactly what type it is. It’s grade 2. I’ll have an MRI next week. It is very difficult news, but at least I was prepared and it didn’t come as a surprise.

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Cancer sucks ❤️
  • rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    edited October 2022
    Options

Darn it Coloradomom sorry to hear that. You will now begin gathering further information to determine your treatment plan and that can take you a few different directions so don’t be surprised if something changes on you. Sending you all my best ask questions here there are a lot of wonderful people who have walked this path

• melbo
    melbo Member Posts: 266
    edited October 2022
    Options

that sucks. I’m sorry. But while this part is awful, it will get easier as you get more information and get a treatment plan in place. Keep us posted. There are a ton of great threads and resources on these pages. The interface sucks now and the website is buggy, but the women and men here are an awesome source of comfort, hope, and inspiration

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,939
    edited October 2022
    Options

I found it helpful to schedule a lot of fun things throughout the whole process. Our family went on a lot of picnics and walks in favorite parks, concerts, day trips, weekend trips, and other cool things. It helped mentally at the time, and gave me a stockpile of good memories, so now when I look back on that year, I remember the fun things we did more easily than the dreary medical crap.

Best of luck to you.