Join Us

We are 217,652 members in 84 forums discussing 160,667 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Sea of Pink Power

Forum: Walks, Runs and Fundraising Events for Breastcancer.org —

Discuss and share pictures of the walks, runs or fundraising events for Breastcancer.org. Visit also our Fundraising Forum for suggestions.

Posted on: Oct 10, 2010 01:39PM

squidwitch42 wrote:

Sisters and Brothers,

I want to share the energy, the throngs of people who are out here in DC walking for a Cure. Whether or not Pink is your color, or a stressful reminder of cancer, we are all together in this. I was walking my dog, and saw the huge crowds walking by, and we ran against the crowd saying our thanks, cheering each other on.

I am on my way to immerse myself, to offer support, to cheer and to express my gratitude. I cannot tell you how many people said to me, "We are doing this for YOU," when I yelled, thank you, I am a Sister too.

I ask us all to embrace the fact that people do Care, many have lost loved ones, and they walk in solidarity in the hopes that we will have a cure someday.

Thank you all for reading, I just wish you all could see the support you do have.

Blessings for all of you, and I promise to share when I return. I honestly feel they are walking for every single person that comes here, and it is done in Love.

Peace.

Dx 10/2/2009, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (25 results)

Posts 1 - 25 (25 total)

Oct 10, 2010 03:16PM theresap60 wrote:

Amen Traci!  I didn't know that was happening today in DC.  I'm so glad you were able to participate in it.  Can you post pictures?

Theresa - Diagnosis: 12/24/2009, DCIS, 1.8cm, Stage 1A, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Lumpectomy 2/2010, SAVI 3/2010, T/C 4 (April-May 2010), Tamoxifen

Oct 10, 2010 03:25PM LuvRVing wrote:

Kansas City's Race in August drew more than 30,000 and I also walked the Boston Race on 9/23 with 7500 others.  The sea of people supporting Breast Cancer is a sight to behold.   You can check out a few pictures at my blog:

www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com

Michelle

Michelle - read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com - Be kind to one another! Dx 6/15/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 3/29/2011, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 4/21 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 5/11/2012, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Oct 10, 2010 04:25PM - edited Aug 20, 2013 05:54AM by badger

I was fortunate to have walked in RFC Madison back in June, but no pictures

Milwaukee's was Sep 26 - they had 16,000 people and raised a million dollars!

Here's a link to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel article, the photo gallery is great

(have tissues handy, the emotional impact is overwhelming)

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/103827573.html

7,715.5 miles walked ~ Find your calm. Move forward from this place. Dx 12/22/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 10, 2010 07:02PM Leah_S wrote:

Susan G. Komen will be having its first-ever Israel Race on Oct. 28, and I've signed up to go. I got a call today to give me details and was asked if I was willing to wear a pink "survivor" t-shirt.

You betcha.

Leah

Dx 11/3/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 6/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 10, 2010 07:23PM squidwitch42 wrote:

Theresa, 

I have pictures, and may need a hand on getting them on this site. I tried to put my pic up and no luck. I'll work on this soon.

Badger,

What an incredible picture...better then what I have, but we'll see if I have any gems. Yes, I needed tissues, and luckily, a woman Juli who I met there was at the ready with the tissues. My dog just ate one too, which made me want to cry all over again...

Leah_S and all,

I pray to be able to walk next year. My energy is much better, so I think I have a good chance. This was so amazing, and there were ladies who were literally limping and being held up by each other. There were men and a few children who walked as well, and it was so powerful, so moving. As we were cheering them on as they came up to the stage, there were women who yelled "Thank You" to us! I am so very thankful, and this was a great day for me to see how much support we all have in the minds and hearts of others. There are people that get it, that walked in memory of loved ones, and walked to support friends who were walking to honor loved ones.

Leah...will you let us know how you do? We'll cheer you on from here.

Michelle,

Thanks for walking as well..I'll check out your pics.

Traci :)

Oct 10, 2010 07:31PM squidwitch42 wrote:

Michelle,

Great pics! I enjoyed your blog, and the dance was beautiful! Thanks for sharing your journey.

Traci

Oct 10, 2010 08:01PM BarbaraA wrote:

Here is last Sat. Race for the Cure in St. Pete FL. This is me with my dear friend and her kids right before we started.

Sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield. Dx 4/30/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/24/2014 Femara (letrozole) Dx 11/25/2014, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+

Oct 10, 2010 08:04PM squidwitch42 wrote:

Barb,

Love it. That's so special to share with them, must have made you feel good :)

Oct 10, 2010 08:14PM BarbaraA wrote:

Yeah, it was really cool. The daughter right next to Tammy is named Coral and she basically INSISTED that they walk with me so Tammy called me to get the info. Pretty cool kid.

Sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield. Dx 4/30/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/24/2014 Femara (letrozole) Dx 11/25/2014, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+

Oct 10, 2010 08:16PM BarbaraA wrote:

Here's another shot of the walk.

Oct 10, 2010 08:16PM tougherthanithought wrote:

Hi all!

I'm so glad I saw this!  Great pictures!

I'll be walking in the AVON Walk in NYC this coming weekend and I'm very excited!  I registered to walk last year, but was smack dab in the middle of chemo then and just couldn't bring myself to participate while feeling so dreadful!  I'm so glad I waited...I feel great and am really looking forward to it!

Wish me Luck!

Sherrill

Sherrill Dx 4/1/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Oct 10, 2010 08:21PM BarbaraA wrote:

Sherill - You GO girl!!!! I was half asleep when I drove there at 5AM (I was helping my cancer care center in their booth) and FORGOT my sneaks! I walked 5K in my Docksiders! Only one blister so not so bad what a dumb A$$.

Oct 10, 2010 08:28PM tougherthanithought wrote:

Barbara, that's pretty impressive that you only ended up w/ one blister, even w/ DocksidersSurprised!!!  That's my biggest fear about walking 39.something miles...BLISTERS.  I will definitely bring an entire box of BANDAIDS!

Oct 10, 2010 08:34PM BarbaraA wrote:

39 MILES!!! You better be having dozens of socks and different shoes. More power to you sister!!

I am sorta used to walking barefoot and in the docks but figured for 3 miles I needed sneaks, Not too bad.

Oct 10, 2010 08:38PM badger wrote:

Not promoting a brand here but I have sore feet... the only shoe I can go any distance in is the Adidas Raziya.  It has a mesh upper so is flexible and breathes, but the best feature is the gel foam inserts -- sooo comfy. Got mine for under forty dollars and they've taken me 350 + miles!

7,715.5 miles walked ~ Find your calm. Move forward from this place. Dx 12/22/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 10, 2010 10:29PM LuvRVing wrote:

I walked the Boston 3 miles in my Merrill athletic sandals.  I love those things. And I hate to wear socks when it's warm.  No blisters, no sore feet.  And even better, I found them at Marshall's!

Michelle

Michelle - read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com - Be kind to one another! Dx 6/15/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 3/29/2011, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 4/21 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 5/11/2012, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Oct 10, 2010 11:10PM squidwitch42 wrote:

Sherill,

So excited for you!  You are inspiring me..39 miles? You will get lots of support, I am sure. One thing that was so beautiful too, was everyone took off one shoe, and held them up in the air, to salute the survivors as they walked by with flags.

Oct 11, 2010 07:58AM tougherthanithought wrote:

I just wish the walk was this past weekend, because the weather here was perfect!  Hopefully next weekend will be the same. 

I'll be walking with a friend, and we collectively decided not to camp (the Walk is 2 days and they have a Wellness Villiage with tents, out-door showers, etc.)  I had visions of it being rainy and freezing cold, so we opted for the hotel stay.  Smile  Either way, I'm sure it will be a great experience!

I'll post pictures when I get back.

Please pray for my feetSmile

Sherrill

Oct 11, 2010 02:13PM squidwitch42 wrote:

Sherill,

You bet I will pray for your feet, and the rest of you too :) I'm sure you can get a lot of advice from fellow walkers. I'm wondering if moleskin is a good option for any rubbing? I am also a huge fan of tee trea oil for just about everything, and it is a natural antibiotic. Just in case. Good idea on the hotel, I wonder if you'll end up with a few more walkers in your room? :) Give you friend a round of thank you's from me too, please.

Oct 11, 2010 02:30PM Alpal wrote:

Sherril - my DD did the San Fran Avon last year and had many blisters. This year she did the LA one - actually held in Santa Barbara. She was very proud that she only had two blisters! She's gotten hotel rooms both years - with a hot tub! She says the whole experience is amazing. They raise major $$. I think the LA was 6.5 million. Thanks from all of us!

Allison Dx 7/2008, IDC, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 11, 2010 02:36PM FireKracker wrote:

I hate to be a stick in the mud but if Avon raised 6.5 million $$$$$$$.why were they rated C.I wonder where all that money went????it goes by A+ A A- B and C...am i missing something???

Focktober!!!!Pink stinks!!!!

Oct 11, 2010 06:17PM tougherthanithought wrote:

Squidwitch42- Yes, tea tree oil!  I love it and I will definitely bring a bottle.  It just may help soothe the tootsies.

Grannydukes, I don't have all the answers.  I just felt the need to to something and this is how I chose to contribute.  I know many people are anti-pink and so forth, and I get it.  With all this $ being raised, there should be a cure by now.  As I said, I don't have the answer to your question, but this was something I needed to do.

Oct 11, 2010 07:29PM BarbaraA wrote:

Me too toughie! I did it and I felt better. I had a sign on my back that said:

'Walking in honor of all my Stage IV sister on breastcancer.org'

Oct 11, 2010 08:04PM FireKracker wrote:

I understand how you girls feel about this.I really do.BUT it really annoys me when I know there are people out there who really need help without coverage and no one does really much.WHERE DOES THE MONEY GO????iF IT ALL WENT TO RESEARCH (AND IM ALL FOR IT) THEN WHY THE HELL DIDNT THEY FIND A CURE YET?????I will always honor my stage 1V sistas.God bless them all.and God help all of us who are fighting this monster.

i guess im just tired of all this pink..now my granddaughters put the pink ribbon on my facebook page.i just think people dont get it...or is it me??????

Focktober!!!!Pink stinks!!!!

Oct 11, 2010 08:09PM - edited Aug 20, 2013 05:55AM by squidwitch42

That's the Spirit I am talking about!

I am grateful for any and all contributions. We have to remember progess, and where we have come. There are many illnesses for which there is no cure at this time being, but you are all putting one foot in front of the other for a common goal, and walking for Sisters and Brothers that cannot. I just cannot thank you all enough, and you inspire me.

Barb...Kick A** Sign, think how many people saw your sign and you opened up their eyes.

PS...toughie, there is even a product called Melaflex that has tea tree oil in it that you can put in your fish tank!

Page 1 of 1 (25 results)