Topic: Take the Fright Out of Breast Cancer™

Forum: Walks, Runs and Fundraising Events for Breastcancer.org — Discuss and share pictures of the walks, runs or fundraising events for Breastcancer.org. Visit also our Fundraising Forum for suggestions.

Posted on: Sep 5, 2017 02:24PM - edited Sep 22, 2017 03:10PM by moderators

Posted on: Sep 5, 2017 02:24PM - edited Sep 22, 2017 03:10PM by moderators

moderators wrote:

Hello Community!

We started this education and fundraising campaign to address fear as one of the many barriers that may keep people from getting the best care possible. We know we can never remove all of the fears around breast cancer. We know everyone responds to and lives with fear differently. Our goal is to motivate people to courageously and confidently make informed health and life decisions.

GET INVOLVED

Share the facts about breast cancer and breast health found in our toolkit.
Host a fundraising event (make it a Halloween party if you think that will help your friends and loved ones get involved).
Contribute your stories of addressing your own fears of breast cancer (just as no two cancers are alike, there is no one way through it).
Support each other by joining our growing community.

BREASTCANCER.ORG'S MISSION

Breastcancer.org is a nonprofit organization dedicated to informing and empowering people to protect their breast health and overcome the challenges of breast cancer. For more than 18 years, we have provided expert medical information to millions to help reduce the fears and anxieties associated with a diagnosis by providing the most reliable, complete, and up-to-date information about breast cancer, as well as hosting the largest and most active online breast cancer peer community.

YOUR DONATION'S IMPACT

Your support funds Breastcancer.org's educational and support programs. In a moment when many feel overwhelmed by their diagnosis and the critical decisions they have to make about their care, Breastcancer.org is there to answer their most pressing questions about breast cancer and connect them to a supportive peer community when they need it.

To quote Jackie, a Breastcancer.org Community member:

"Whenever I would have a new symptom or a question would pop into my mind, I could always find the answer on Breastcancer.org."

Your generous support is vital because it helps us deliver on our mission. Every gift counts. Give today in support of the millions who rely and depend on Breastcancer.org, not just this October, but every day.

Thank you!

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Page 1 of 54 (538 results)

Sep 9, 2017 03:35PM hopeful82014 wrote:

I'm actually pretty disgusted by this campaign by BCO, as well as very disappointed in the organiztion because of this.

Halloween is a fun holiday - no stress, no obligations beyond having enough candy to hand out, a time to let imaginations run wild. To try to "turn Halloween into a holiday with a purpose" is wrong. Why should kids have illness thrust in their faces all the time? For that matter, why should adults?

As for "taking the fear out of mammograms" as well as other aspects of the disease, I don't see this as effective at all. It may even promote fear, as all the quotes are from people diagnosed with cancer. Having a mammogram does NOT necessarily take courage - it's common sense to do so. I think BCO is actively fear-mongering and I'm extremely disappointed in BCO.

Dx IDC, HER2-

Sep 9, 2017 04:04PM Sara536 wrote:

HALLOWEEN IS NOT PINK!

re: BCO's campaign to "Take the Fright out of Breast Cancer."

It is understandable that we are obsessed with breast cancer but please let us not try to hijack Halloween! It just might backfire. I'm OK with October being Breast Cancer Awareness Month and I'm all for making our bodies and our illness OK to talk about honestly and age appropriately with our children, but Halloween is a time when people, and especially kids, like to indulge in a little scaryness. Linking breast cancer to Halloween will only emphasize the scaryness of breast cancer which, in turn, will make some young girls scared about their own development. I think we should just let the kids enjoy Halloween. Or should I just relax already and join some perverse, reverse-psychology stunt like "Let's all take our children and grandchildren trick-or-treating with our shirts off." Do what you want with October but let's keep Halloween orange and black.

Sep 9, 2017 04:18PM - edited Sep 9, 2017 04:18PM by Lula73

Halloween is supposed to be a fun time for kids. I do not agree with this campaign at all - sorry. Maybe it would be better to look into what frightens women about getting their mammos. Hint: it isn't the prospect of having their breasts squished like pancakes. They are scared of hearing the C word. They are scared of chemo, radiation and surgery. They are scared of having to confront their mortality.And that is not limited to just BC but to all cancers including ones where screening and early detection saves lives. They would simply rather not know and go about their lives until it can't be ignored. Yes it reduces their chance of beating it but that's their prerogative. Leave Halloween alone and put the efforts toward finding a better course of treatment or a cure that takes fear of hearing the C word out of the equation for them

-Lula Dx 1/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/13/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 3/2/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 11/1/2017 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2018 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 9, 2017 07:09PM SugarCakes wrote:

Take the fright out of breast cancer, huh? I've been away for a while. Are you allowing women to share photos of their Breasts on the boards yet???

46 years old Dx 1/20/2015, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 2/1/2015 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/1/2015 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/2/2015 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 7/6/2015 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 9/9/2015 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Radiation Therapy 10/5/2015 Whole breast: Breast Surgery 2/21/2017 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery 1/30/2018 Reconstruction (left): Latissimus dorsi flap, Tissue expander placement

Sep 9, 2017 07:50PM reflect wrote:

This seems off base to me too. I was actually wondering if it was a strange joke. You know what? Breast cancer is scary.

Hormonal Therapy 9/20/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 9/30/2015 Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 2/3/2016, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 7/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 2/24/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 9/13/2016 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary

Sep 10, 2017 06:45PM JustJean wrote:

Rather than focusing on Halloween, which is SUPPOSED to be a bit scary to kids, I would much rather see Pinktober in general turned from BC "awareness" (as is commonly done) to a CURE for it. Better treatments. Better pain control. Better symptom control. I hide in October. I can't stand the marketing aimed at "awareness" but really putting $$ in the pockets of the manufacturers of those products.

I would bet that an extremely high percentage of the United States population (and certainly everyone I know) is "aware" of BC. Rather than raising money for more "awareness", as some orgs do, I wish the general focus (not talking BCO here) would change to raise awareness of a need for a cure and a need to address the issues that those of us with MBC, along with all other stages, go through on a daily basis.

My 1.25 cents (after taxes).

JJ

First diagnosed with LCIS Stage 0 in 2005. Then FOUR MORE TIMES. Now Stage IV. CANCER SUCKS. Surgery 12/31/2004 Lumpectomy: Right Dx 2005, LCIS, Stage 0, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 12/31/2005 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 2006, LCIS, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Dx 2006, LCIS Surgery 5/31/2006 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Dx 4/1/2010, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/30/2010 Mastectomy: Left, Right Hormonal Therapy 7/31/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole) Chemotherapy 7/31/2010 Adriamycin (doxorubicin) Chemotherapy 8/31/2010 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Dx 10/23/2014, ILC, 3cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 11/2014, ILC, Stage IV, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 11/3/2014 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/4/2014 Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 1/31/2015 Aromasin (exemestane)

Sep 10, 2017 10:02PM willowreed84 wrote:

I agree with the previous comments. Cancer is scary, you can't talk women out of the fear of cancer. I dread Pinktober every year. I don't like seeing our illness exploited for cash by corporations. We need better treatment options not more awareness. Stage four cancer patients need more treatments and research.

Dx 1/2014, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIB, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 2/18/2014 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 7/20/2014 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 8/8/2014 Radiation Therapy 10/5/2014 Surgery 3/29/2015 Reconstruction (left): Body lift perforator flap , Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Sep 10, 2017 11:31PM traveltext wrote:

Great points JustJean. I'm extra busy in Pinktober because, although bc is a genderless disease, the whole month reinforces it as a women-only affliction. So, while awareness that women get bc is running at 100%, the fact that men can get it too is stalled around 30%.

I also understand that after companies take their cut of the pie and the pink charities admin costs (50%+) are taken into account the remaining funds are often wasted on duplicate research and the like while the poor Stage 4 folks push on towards a palliative finale that is often underfunded, extremely debilitating, and always very stressful. If I had my way, most of the funds would go their way.

Chemotherapy 3/6/2014 Other Chemotherapy 3/6/2014 AC + T (Taxotere) Chemotherapy 3/10/2014 FAC Hormonal Therapy 4/16/2014 Surgery 7/1/2014 Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy (Left) Surgery 7/23/2014 Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy 8/8/2014 Whole breast: Left breast, Lymph nodes Radiation Therapy 8/22/2014 Whole breast: Left breast, Chest wall, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 10/24/2014 Liquid tamoxifen (Soltamox) Hormonal Therapy 10/30/2014 Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2014 Surgery 5/8/2022 Radiation Therapy Surgery Surgery Surgery Hormonal Therapy Surgery Hormonal Therapy Surgery Surgery Surgery Surgery

Sep 11, 2017 04:33PM lily2 wrote:

I agree with hopeful82014 this is so ridiculous!!!!

Dx 2/27/2017, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+, Targeted Therapy 3/21/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 3/22/2017 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 7/29/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy

Sep 11, 2017 05:16PM tangandchris wrote:

I don't understand the point if this. Last time I checked BC is a scary and formidable disease. Here we go again trying to turn cancer into some fun and games spectacle. Why? I am really dreading October this year. Dont make it worse.

My reconstruction with TE's failed...had them removed because of infection. I am still unsure of if or when I will try again. Dx 10/24/2013, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 6/25 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/22/2013 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right); Prophylactic mastectomy; Prophylactic mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander Chemotherapy 2/12/2014 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Dx 10/2020, Stage IV, metastasized to other, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Page 1 of 54 (538 results)

Scroll to top button