Topic: Take the Fright Out of Breast Cancer™

Forum: Walks, Runs and Fundraising Events for Breastcancer.org — Discuss and share pictures of the walks, runs or fundraising events for Breastcancer.org. Visit also our Fundraising Forum for suggestions.

Posted on: Sep 5, 2017 03:24PM - edited Sep 22, 2017 04:10PM by moderators

Posted on: Sep 5, 2017 03:24PM - edited Sep 22, 2017 04:10PM by moderators

moderators wrote:

Hello Community!

We started this education and fundraising campaign to address fear as one of the many barriers that may keep people from getting the best care possible. We know we can never remove all of the fears around breast cancer. We know everyone responds to and lives with fear differently. Our goal is to motivate people to courageously and confidently make informed health and life decisions.

GET INVOLVED

Share the facts about breast cancer and breast health found in our toolkit.
Host a fundraising event (make it a Halloween party if you think that will help your friends and loved ones get involved).
Contribute your stories of addressing your own fears of breast cancer (just as no two cancers are alike, there is no one way through it).
Support each other by joining our growing community.

BREASTCANCER.ORG'S MISSION

Breastcancer.org is a nonprofit organization dedicated to informing and empowering people to protect their breast health and overcome the challenges of breast cancer. For more than 18 years, we have provided expert medical information to millions to help reduce the fears and anxieties associated with a diagnosis by providing the most reliable, complete, and up-to-date information about breast cancer, as well as hosting the largest and most active online breast cancer peer community.

YOUR DONATION'S IMPACT

Your support funds Breastcancer.org's educational and support programs. In a moment when many feel overwhelmed by their diagnosis and the critical decisions they have to make about their care, Breastcancer.org is there to answer their most pressing questions about breast cancer and connect them to a supportive peer community when they need it.

To quote Jackie, a Breastcancer.org Community member:

"Whenever I would have a new symptom or a question would pop into my mind, I could always find the answer on Breastcancer.org."

Your generous support is vital because it helps us deliver on our mission. Every gift counts. Give today in support of the millions who rely and depend on Breastcancer.org, not just this October, but every day.

Thank you!

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Page 11 of 54 (538 results)

Sep 16, 2017 04:16AM meow13 wrote:

I just read the article, it does sum it up nicely.

Sep 16, 2017 01:31PM momof2doxies wrote:

I am so disappointed in BCO. I need to go some where else for support.

Oncotype Dx = 19, BRCA1 and 2 Negative, second primary tumor Oncotype Dx=42 Dx 10/15/2012, DCIS, 4cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 10/15/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/15/2012 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Hormonal Therapy 12/5/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole), Aromasin (exemestane) Radiation Therapy 12/10/2012 Breast Dx 10/23/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 10/23/2013 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 11/24/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 2/26/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 8/26/2014 Reconstruction (right)

Sep 16, 2017 01:40PM - edited Sep 16, 2017 01:54PM by Suburbs

Hi everyone. Selfishly, I hope no one rejects the organization due to a very ill conceived marketing campaign. I need everyone I have met here. They saved my life along with my medical team.

I am not five years old and I don't dress up for a Halloween. No slogan will ever take the fright out of breast cancer. Please. I live daily with a fear of mets. I have had a headache for a week. Try that for a scare.

We are not elementary school students. Go back to think pink live green. That is tolerable marketing.

Seriously? I have to add one more rant. How many times have BC patients been told not to drink or if you must limit to one no more than three times a week. Has anyone not read a thousand times that drinking was a risk factor for their breast cancer? Ok. Glad we have that cleared up. So, for fund raising, let's make sure we have an open bar. Nobody in treatment should partake. If you are out of treatment, swim at your own risk. If you don't have breast cancer, roll the dice and see what happens. Party on

Dx 1/9/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+, Targeted Therapy 1/31/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/1/2017 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 6/20/2017 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 7/21/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 2/1/2018 Nerlynx

Sep 16, 2017 02:29PM 208sandy wrote:

There are no words.......I already hate October....now on to Pink Christmas - what will you ruin next?????

Sep 16, 2017 04:56PM HoneyBadger47 wrote:

I don't like this idea at all. Others have already eloquently expressed my thoughts so I will not repeat it here.

I think AWARENESS and early detection is already well represented.

Why not move your event to the MBC date in October or to another day that month and change the name to "Show The Fright of Cancer" or "The Fight and the Fright of BC. You get the idea. I'm not creative. More people would probably go because they get to wear a costume twice. I get that you are trying to draw a bigger crowd with costumes. No kids. No trick or treat. Let people, including those with cancer, keep Halloween.

Include the stories that stage IV members so graciously share when BCO asks for them. Show day-to-day struggles and the true grit it takes. Show ALL stages. EDUCATE on the importance of screening AND on the fact that there is no cure. Show how this site offers support to all stages. Give them all a voice. Wouldn't this help not hurt donations?

I am not stage IV. I asked my surgeon about early detection. Answer: Early detection is great but once you have cancer, we are trying to keep it from killing you.

For me, the message is more that being afraid of BC does not prevent cancer from happening to you. Ignoring symptoms does not cure it and may decrease your options for treatment

The current branding is more like FEMA putting on an event for hurricane Harvey and Irm victims and saying "Flooding can be bad. Make sure you have flood insurance. For any of you that didn't have insurance or have been impacted impacted, piss off. You don't matter."

I may be way off base. I would love to know what others think if they disagree.

Sep 16, 2017 05:04PM - edited Sep 16, 2017 05:06PM by marijen

I like your FEMA analogy very much. Moving the date might make this thing salvagable. I'm hoping it dies this year from lack of interest and coordination. The wearing the costume twice I agree would be appealing to those who get into it. Is this darn thing nationwide? Scared

Sep 16, 2017 05:53PM traveltext wrote:

Excellent shepkitty. Now try new words for 'I'm Dreaming of a Pink Christmas.'

Seriously, though, Halloween is the one to worry about. Obviously treats would include lots of pink candy, while a real scary trick would be a mastectomy scar flash. For extra effect, add ketchup. That's a cross between frightful and frightening. Perfect for this event.

NED breast and prostate cancer. Dx 03/14, IBC, Lgth. 2cm, Stge IIIB, Gde 2B, ER+/PR+, HER2- ; FEC x3, Taxol x3; Mx & 2/23 nodes; Rads x 33; now on tamoxofin.

Sep 16, 2017 06:52PM nihahi wrote:

traveltext...don't forget to add some drains, abscessed incisions and swollen lymphedema limbs to the costume.

Btw...I have shared your article on my fb page.

You know, it's commonplace now to have public outcries of "take back Christmas" to show disgust with commercialization of that holiday. As someone who was originally diagnosed in October...I hate the pinkwashing...I WANT TO TAKE BACK OCTOBER!!!

"Comparison is the thief of joy" Dx 10/1991, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR- Surgery 11/7/1991 Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 11/29/1991 Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Methotrexate (Amethopterin, Mexate, Folex) Hormonal Therapy 5/31/1992 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 10/7/1992 Reconstruction (right) Surgery 5/7/1997 Reconstruction (right) Surgery 4/12/2013 Reconstruction (right): Free TRAM flap Surgery 1/8/2014 Reconstruction (right) Surgery 4/14/2014 Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction

Sep 16, 2017 07:11PM Outfield wrote:

HoneyBadger, that is Perfect.

How about a "Take the suffering and loss out of floods!" silent auction and magic show?

Flood damage can be prevented! Buy more sandbags! Lots and lots of sandbags!

Sep 16, 2017 07:44PM marijen wrote:

How about a white ghost costume front and back, with all the scary statistics printed on it, another one with all the different kinds of breast cancer, another with all the treatments, and another with all the medicines/chemicals used, follow-up with scary handbooks, because a flyer is just not enough! Just an idea.

Page 11 of 54 (538 results)

Scroll to top button