Topic: Take the Fright Out of Breast Cancer™

Forum: Walks, Runs and Fundraising Events for Breastcancer.org — Discuss and share pictures of the walks, runs or fundraising events for Breastcancer.org. Visit also our Fundraising Forum for suggestions.

Posted on: Sep 5, 2017 03:24PM - edited Sep 22, 2017 04:10PM by moderators

Posted on: Sep 5, 2017 03:24PM - edited Sep 22, 2017 04:10PM by moderators

moderators wrote:

Hello Community!

We started this education and fundraising campaign to address fear as one of the many barriers that may keep people from getting the best care possible. We know we can never remove all of the fears around breast cancer. We know everyone responds to and lives with fear differently. Our goal is to motivate people to courageously and confidently make informed health and life decisions.

GET INVOLVED

Share the facts about breast cancer and breast health found in our toolkit.
Host a fundraising event (make it a Halloween party if you think that will help your friends and loved ones get involved).
Contribute your stories of addressing your own fears of breast cancer (just as no two cancers are alike, there is no one way through it).
Support each other by joining our growing community.

BREASTCANCER.ORG'S MISSION

Breastcancer.org is a nonprofit organization dedicated to informing and empowering people to protect their breast health and overcome the challenges of breast cancer. For more than 18 years, we have provided expert medical information to millions to help reduce the fears and anxieties associated with a diagnosis by providing the most reliable, complete, and up-to-date information about breast cancer, as well as hosting the largest and most active online breast cancer peer community.

YOUR DONATION'S IMPACT

Your support funds Breastcancer.org's educational and support programs. In a moment when many feel overwhelmed by their diagnosis and the critical decisions they have to make about their care, Breastcancer.org is there to answer their most pressing questions about breast cancer and connect them to a supportive peer community when they need it.

To quote Jackie, a Breastcancer.org Community member:

"Whenever I would have a new symptom or a question would pop into my mind, I could always find the answer on Breastcancer.org."

Your generous support is vital because it helps us deliver on our mission. Every gift counts. Give today in support of the millions who rely and depend on Breastcancer.org, not just this October, but every day.

Thank you!

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Page 18 of 54 (538 results)

Sep 19, 2017 06:23PM spookiesmom wrote:

in this months Readers Digest. Seems a reasonable way to get their message out. Not wrecking a fun time for kids, but instead helping people to understand.

Sep 19, 2017 06:40PM hopeful82014 wrote:

I am one of those who responded to the invitation to preview and provide feedback on the proposed new campaign some months ago. I know that my responses were negative and that I indicated I found the plans distasteful. Had I known that I was one of only 13 responding I probably would have been more emphatic and outspoken. Unfortunately, there was no way to save either the survey or my responses although I would like to be able to review them to see how well the questions reflect the end product.

1) I am dismayed that the moderators seem to feel that a sample of 13 (!) was sufficient.

2) Given the many, many posts going back for years decrying "Pinktober" etc., it's astonishing that a new campaign based on Hallowe'en was even under consideration. It certainly seems tone-deaf to me. It also indicates that they were willing to spend funds on that survey without doing basic research within their boards to get a sense of whether it might be appropriate. I don't see that as a very wise use of resources.

3) I strongly suggest that the mods. publish a copy of that survey for the general membership of this board OR provide an opportunity for members to receive a copy by email so that they can see for themselves what was being sampled. I, personally, would very much like to see a copy of the results.

I've pretty much quit visiting BCO out of disgust with this issue. The fact that BCO could even think that their campaign would be appropriate staggers me.

Dx IDC, HER2-

Sep 19, 2017 07:57PM - edited Sep 19, 2017 08:03PM by Sara536

re: the reference to anti-cigarette campaigns.....We need to find a reasonable middle ground here. I wouldn't mind at all if there were a black-box warning on sugary drinks and candy bars and other non-essential foods that could fuel or cause cancer, but I wouldn't want them to include pictures of diseased breasts or mastectomy scars. Gotta find a way to talk about it without making it cute but but wouldn't want to make people afraid to go public that they have breast cancer either. I'm still underground because I don't want anyone trying to imagine what my scars look like or how much of my breasts are real. (let alone asking me those questions straight out). Since I'm retired I was able to go through this privately but I realize also that I may have missed out on some sources of social support.

-Just trying to throw a monkey wrench into the conversation. A lot of the pink stuff we find so objectionable may be an attempt to say, "See, we're still cute and feminine as well as mad as hell. How to find the best way to educate without scaring the sh*t out of the kids or being overly cute?

Sep 19, 2017 08:09PM - edited Sep 19, 2017 08:09PM by marijen

Thanks Sara, that hadn't occurred to me that there would be deformed breast photos? I did see a website that showed all that, it was awful. I don't know how that is allowed? Can't remember where at the moment, didn't stay but a few secs.

Sep 19, 2017 08:45PM Freya wrote:

A lot of the pink stuff we find so objectionable may be an attempt to say, "See, we're still cute and feminine as well as mad as hell.

IT IS CANCER, IT IS NOT A F*^&ING BEAUTY PAGEANT!!!

IT IS KILLING ME, THERE IS NOTHING CUTE OR FEMININE ABOUT THAT.

Mind you nothing would surprise me anymore, what a great idea for a fundraiser, Ms BC and Ms MBC competition, instead of Halloween parties. Only open to those who have had a recon, their hair has grown back, and with no visible scars in their bikini's. After all we don't want to scare anyone with the truth of what breast cancer can really be like.

What other disease are women still expected to be cute and feminine while fighting for their lives?

Dx 2009, ILC/IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, 14/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 19, 2017 09:02PM - edited Sep 19, 2017 09:04PM by nihahi

Cute and feminine are concepts that do not define me as a woman. They have no relevance to my skills, education, interests, life experiences or life challenges. Those are the type of cutesy, degrading terms that drives these misconceptions about women and these offensive campaigns.

I'm sure you didn't mean to be...but I find that mindset truly demeaning.

"Comparison is the thief of joy" Dx 10/1991, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR- Surgery 11/7/1991 Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 11/29/1991 Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Methotrexate (Amethopterin, Mexate, Folex) Hormonal Therapy 5/31/1992 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 10/7/1992 Reconstruction (right) Surgery 5/7/1997 Reconstruction (right) Surgery 4/12/2013 Reconstruction (right): Free TRAM flap Surgery 1/8/2014 Reconstruction (right) Surgery 4/14/2014 Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction

Sep 19, 2017 09:24PM - edited Sep 19, 2017 09:26PM by marijen

I don't think that's what Sara meant. She said the pink stuff (and pinktober) is objectionable. I think she's referring to the people that started the pink stuff or the ones that perpetuate it as wanting to be cute and feminine

Sep 19, 2017 09:36PM nihahi wrote:

I disagree.

"Comparison is the thief of joy" Dx 10/1991, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR- Surgery 11/7/1991 Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 11/29/1991 Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Methotrexate (Amethopterin, Mexate, Folex) Hormonal Therapy 5/31/1992 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 10/7/1992 Reconstruction (right) Surgery 5/7/1997 Reconstruction (right) Surgery 4/12/2013 Reconstruction (right): Free TRAM flap Surgery 1/8/2014 Reconstruction (right) Surgery 4/14/2014 Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction

Sep 19, 2017 10:00PM Freya wrote:

I disagree too.

It seems like the horse has bolted on pink halloween.

Dx 2009, ILC/IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, 14/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 19, 2017 10:15PM - edited Sep 19, 2017 10:20PM by Sara536

Did I say we should be cute and pink and feminine? No, absolutely not. I said that maybe that was the origin of the pink stuff. I believe we need to analyze where it came from. Did the originators think that would be the best way to get attention at the time? Maybe it was. We know it turns a lot of us off. We also know that a lot of people see no problem with it. I would guess that even the people who are pushing pink would never think that that is what defines them. They are just so used to it that they are numb to its implications. We can see that some people who were all rah-rah for pink are beginning to see that it is terribly outdated. If it can be said that there are two "camps" digging in, no change will happen unless we first understand the history. It is very hard to convince anyone of anything if an attempt is not made to understand where they are coming from. The pink approach has worked for fundraising for quite awhile. That doesn't justify keeping it. We need to find a new approach. We also need to get political. We need tons of government funding, not sabotage of the programs we currently have. We need good healthcare for everyone, not destruction of the programs we depend on. As a country we can certainly afford it. We need to get our priorities right and our act together.

PS: I think you misinterpreted my "mind set."

Thanks, marijen

Page 18 of 54 (538 results)

Scroll to top button