Topic: Take the Fright Out of Breast Cancer™

Forum: Walks, Runs and Fundraising Events for Breastcancer.org — Discuss and share pictures of the walks, runs or fundraising events for Breastcancer.org. Visit also our Fundraising Forum for suggestions.

Posted on: Sep 5, 2017 03:24PM - edited Sep 22, 2017 04:10PM by moderators

Posted on: Sep 5, 2017 03:24PM - edited Sep 22, 2017 04:10PM by moderators

moderators wrote:

Hello Community!

We started this education and fundraising campaign to address fear as one of the many barriers that may keep people from getting the best care possible. We know we can never remove all of the fears around breast cancer. We know everyone responds to and lives with fear differently. Our goal is to motivate people to courageously and confidently make informed health and life decisions.

GET INVOLVED

Share the facts about breast cancer and breast health found in our toolkit.
Host a fundraising event (make it a Halloween party if you think that will help your friends and loved ones get involved).
Contribute your stories of addressing your own fears of breast cancer (just as no two cancers are alike, there is no one way through it).
Support each other by joining our growing community.

BREASTCANCER.ORG'S MISSION

Breastcancer.org is a nonprofit organization dedicated to informing and empowering people to protect their breast health and overcome the challenges of breast cancer. For more than 18 years, we have provided expert medical information to millions to help reduce the fears and anxieties associated with a diagnosis by providing the most reliable, complete, and up-to-date information about breast cancer, as well as hosting the largest and most active online breast cancer peer community.

YOUR DONATION'S IMPACT

Your support funds Breastcancer.org's educational and support programs. In a moment when many feel overwhelmed by their diagnosis and the critical decisions they have to make about their care, Breastcancer.org is there to answer their most pressing questions about breast cancer and connect them to a supportive peer community when they need it.

To quote Jackie, a Breastcancer.org Community member:

"Whenever I would have a new symptom or a question would pop into my mind, I could always find the answer on Breastcancer.org."

Your generous support is vital because it helps us deliver on our mission. Every gift counts. Give today in support of the millions who rely and depend on Breastcancer.org, not just this October, but every day.

Thank you!

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Page 2 of 54 (538 results)

Sep 12, 2017 01:56AM meow13 wrote:

Agree with all those commenting.

Sep 12, 2017 12:48PM dlb823 wrote:

Totally agree with all of the above comments and observations. I was as shocked and disappointed to see an attempt to link bc to a fun holiday for kids, as I have been to open up BCO each day and see a photo of a celeb financial guru. Financial advice is not what we come to BCO for, and the Halloween Idea seems just as off base to me. I wasn't even going to comment on it, but since so many others have, I figured I would let you know that I am also very disappointment in what seems like a totally out of touch idea that sounds like it came from an ad agency or from someone else equally out of step with the bc community

Deanna "The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears" Native American proverb Dx 2/1/2008, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/3/2014, Stage IV

Sep 12, 2017 08:13PM traveltext wrote:

The website is up, and the campaign is underway. I agree with dlb823, it sounds like a campaign dreamed up by marketing "experts". Not every new product succeeds though, and I guess BCO will know after Halloween if the public takes to this idea.

Chemotherapy 3/6/2014 Other Chemotherapy 3/6/2014 AC + T (Taxotere) Chemotherapy 3/10/2014 FAC Hormonal Therapy 4/16/2014 Surgery 7/1/2014 Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy (Left) Surgery 7/23/2014 Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy 8/8/2014 Whole breast: Left breast, Lymph nodes Radiation Therapy 8/22/2014 Whole breast: Left breast, Chest wall, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 10/24/2014 Liquid tamoxifen (Soltamox) Hormonal Therapy 10/30/2014 Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2014 Surgery 5/8/2022 Radiation Therapy Surgery Surgery Surgery Hormonal Therapy Surgery

Sep 12, 2017 08:19PM jojo0529 wrote:

dumbest idea ever! Annoyed

ONCO 17 ....ki-67 25% miotic 1. Dx 7/30/2015, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/20/2015 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Prophylactic mastectomy; Prophylactic mastectomy (Left) Chemotherapy 9/3/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 12/1/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 1/11/2016 Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant, Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant, Tissue Expander

Sep 12, 2017 08:49PM spookiesmom wrote:

I hope it is a major flop. To some people, it is called Samhain and is a religious feast.

Sep 12, 2017 09:36PM - edited Sep 12, 2017 09:41PM by ShetlandPony

Let the kids and us patients just have fun with Halloween, please. BC is a fright, but not one our kids need to deal with. I keep trying to imagine these people sitting around a table saying, "Hey, let's make Halloween about mammograms!" Then launching the campaign without getting feedback from the real world first.

I took a quick look at the site. It seems to have some good information, but that is overshadowed by the inappropriateness of the party thing.

2011 Stage I ITCs sn, premenopausal, Oncotype 16. 2014 Stage IV mets breast,liver. TaxolNEAD. Ibrance+letrozole 2yrs. Fas+afinitor nope. XelodaNEAD 2yrs. Eribulin,Doxil nope. SUMMIT FaslodexHerceptinNeratinib for Her2mut NEAD 1 1/2yrs. GI/perit mets Dx 2011, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 2014, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/other, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast Surgery Lumpectomy

Sep 12, 2017 09:58PM Outfield wrote:

The title of this thread grates like nails on a chalkboard, and the content is no better. Breast cancer IS frightening. I can't even imagine having suggested this in a community where there is a group of women who are stage IV. It's insulting. I have to say, I'm a physician, and my personal diagnosis - that "knowledge" - did NOTHING to allay my fears, it only fueled them. What exactly is it that you want people to know? That we have a poor screening test that - unfortunately, like a lot of screening tests - is best at picking up slothful cancers? That this disease can descend upon you and wreck your life with no forewarning and no "risk factors"? That for estrogen-receptor positive cancers the mortality curve never, ever levels off?

Take a room full of 100 people, tell them a gunman is going to come into the room, but only shoot 3 or 4 of them. Is that reassuring?

And that's not even thinking about the damage done by the treatments. Is lymphedema so minor that it's not worth worrying about? How about frozen shoulder, or maybe heart failure? I'm so glad chemo was so easy, and t's a good thing radiation burns don't hurt, or maybe people would be scared of them too. Can you tell I'm sarcastic?

And I totally agree with the hijacking Halloween part. It's not your holiday; leave it alone.

Sep 12, 2017 10:00PM Outfield wrote:

Oh, and I just noticed you already trademarked this. That's nice. Sure makes me feel like the motivation is in the right place.

Sep 12, 2017 10:08PM - edited Sep 13, 2017 09:19PM by exbrnxgrl

Halloween and bc? Huh? Let's leave Halloween as a fun holiday for kids and adults as well. As for taking the fright out of bc? Well, you don't want to be so frightened that fear paralyzes you, but bc instills a good dose of fear in most of us, me included. Six years out from a stage IV dx, and doing quite well, but my future with bc remains a frightening prospect.

Sep 12, 2017 10:08PM Why2015 wrote:

Hi Outfield, I am in total agreement with you. This pink stuff is nonsense too.

Hormonal Therapy 8/11/2016 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+, Surgery Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Right Chemotherapy Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast

Page 2 of 54 (538 results)

Scroll to top button