Topic: Take the Fright Out of Breast Cancer™

Forum: Walks, Runs and Fundraising Events for Breastcancer.org — Discuss and share pictures of the walks, runs or fundraising events for Breastcancer.org. Visit also our Fundraising Forum for suggestions.

Posted on: Sep 5, 2017 03:24PM - edited Sep 22, 2017 04:10PM by moderators

Posted on: Sep 5, 2017 03:24PM - edited Sep 22, 2017 04:10PM by moderators

moderators wrote:

Hello Community!

We started this education and fundraising campaign to address fear as one of the many barriers that may keep people from getting the best care possible. We know we can never remove all of the fears around breast cancer. We know everyone responds to and lives with fear differently. Our goal is to motivate people to courageously and confidently make informed health and life decisions.

GET INVOLVED

Share the facts about breast cancer and breast health found in our toolkit.
Host a fundraising event (make it a Halloween party if you think that will help your friends and loved ones get involved).
Contribute your stories of addressing your own fears of breast cancer (just as no two cancers are alike, there is no one way through it).
Support each other by joining our growing community.

BREASTCANCER.ORG'S MISSION

Breastcancer.org is a nonprofit organization dedicated to informing and empowering people to protect their breast health and overcome the challenges of breast cancer. For more than 18 years, we have provided expert medical information to millions to help reduce the fears and anxieties associated with a diagnosis by providing the most reliable, complete, and up-to-date information about breast cancer, as well as hosting the largest and most active online breast cancer peer community.

YOUR DONATION'S IMPACT

Your support funds Breastcancer.org's educational and support programs. In a moment when many feel overwhelmed by their diagnosis and the critical decisions they have to make about their care, Breastcancer.org is there to answer their most pressing questions about breast cancer and connect them to a supportive peer community when they need it.

To quote Jackie, a Breastcancer.org Community member:

"Whenever I would have a new symptom or a question would pop into my mind, I could always find the answer on Breastcancer.org."

Your generous support is vital because it helps us deliver on our mission. Every gift counts. Give today in support of the millions who rely and depend on Breastcancer.org, not just this October, but every day.

Thank you!

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Page 6 of 54 (538 results)

Sep 14, 2017 02:48PM poseygirl wrote:

With ya, Outfield.

Radiation Therapy 1/11/2016 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Dx 6/23/2016, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 7/11/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Targeted Therapy 9/15/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 11/29/2016 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Right); Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right) Hormonal Therapy 12/21/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 14, 2017 02:53PM sbelizabeth wrote:

I must add my voice here. Breast cancer is a sneaky, insidious monster that steals our peace, breasts, body integrity, self-image, relationships, jobs, wellness, and sometimes our lives. It's frightening, ugly, and disfiguring.

Every October, I feel like my (reconstructed from belly fat) breasts have $$ signs on them.

Let's "ease fears" by finding a cure. Right now there's a lot to be afraid of.

pinkribbonandwheels.wordpress.... Dx 10/20/2011, IDC/IBC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 6/28 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 12/15/2011 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 4/18/2012 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy 5/21/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 7/19/2012 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 4/15/2013 Reconstruction (Left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (Right): DIEP flap

Sep 14, 2017 04:12PM lilacblue wrote:

Outfield, I respect your abilities, experience and where you are coming from. I'm not saying put up and shut up. The discussion to stop this particular campaign before it happens is over - that is the done deal. I am with you on the advertisement being more palatable, than what is up on the top of the page. It would help if the mods drop the blanking and respond, two way communication will help.

Nothing is ever the same as they said it was. It's what I've never seen before that I recognise. - Diane Arbus Dx 4/13/2012, DCIS/IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/12/2012 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction (Left): DIEP flap, Nipple reconstruction

Sep 14, 2017 05:49PM Outfield wrote:

Agreed LilacBlue, it would help if they responded.

Sep 14, 2017 06:01PM marijen wrote:

No it's not contained - everything here shows up at Google. Too bad they didn't ask us first.

Sep 14, 2017 06:34PM shepkitty wrote:

Dear Mods,

Please, please read the responses posted here. We all are in agreement that Halloween needs to be left alone. There has been some excellent and helpful feed back here. Please take the positive suggestions and incorporate them into your fundraising campaign. We understand that running this website is costly. Approaching the more active threads with requests for financail support would certainly generate much needed revenue. Imagine if every BCO member donated as little as a dollar each?

BCO has been the most important part of this cancerous chapter in my life. The boards are my lifeline - I have been blessed with the dearest of friends because of the boards. Although not all are the same stage, we do share the same fears and the same hopes.

I am Stage IV De novo, soon to be going on 5 years. No matter what stage, cancer is scary. Until the millions raised by "charities" is used 100% for research to find better treatments and ultimately a cure, the fear will never ever go away.

"Keep passing open windows" Dx 2/2013 Stage IV mets to bones/spine, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2-. Dx 1/23/2017 brain mets. Bone Rads, 2 Kyphoplasty, 1 Craniotomy, 3 Gamma Knife. Xeloda May 2017. DX 11/7/17 DCIS,Left, Ibrance 6/18

Sep 14, 2017 06:47PM moderators wrote:

We thank you for your comments and feedback, and we truly appreciate how honest you've been with us.

We chose to name the campaign Take the Fright Out of Breast Cancer, because we know that a breast cancer experience is filled with fear. Breastcancer.org's mission is to provide the information and support that helps people reduce and manage those fears. We know we cannot eliminate them. So instead, we are trying to help people find the courage, information, and support to deal with those fears. For those who have not been diagnosed with breast cancer, we are trying to help them manage any fears or anxieties that might stand in the way of them getting the benefits of what early detection can offer.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Many people have different feelings about this time of year. Regardless of how we feel, this is an important fundraising and awareness opportunity, so that we can continue to be there for you.

This campaign is currently being supported by many, including men and women personally affected by breast cancer.

Although we may disagree on the approach, we hope that you recognize that we are all working toward the same goal.

Sep 14, 2017 06:53PM Tammy0211 wrote:

We are not working toward the same goal. The awareness campaign has jumped the shark. Not only is there not a person on the face of the earth who is not aware, people are beginning to resent it. People with other cancers hate it. People with breast cancer resent it. It's too much. They've taken football and made it pink during October. Now you're taking Halloween and making it pink. We'd really like to do some things in October that aren't pinkified. Sometimes we like to not be reminded. This in-your-face advertising is backfiring.

And, you said in your original post that the money raised during this campaign will go to awareness and website improvements. Not cool. Not cool at all.

Please, shift the awareness campaigns to research campaigns. That's what we need. Research. We're all painfully aware.

Sep 14, 2017 06:58PM - edited Sep 14, 2017 07:20PM by moderators

We think research is vitally important but our organizations's mission is to provide people affected by breast cancer with information and peer support.

Sep 14, 2017 07:30PM - edited Sep 14, 2017 07:30PM by mrszinnz

Are you people not listening?? The community you serve is offended and doesn't support your goals and activities. Instead of showing thoughtful concern, you forge ahead. It's clear BCO does not care. I'm disgusted and will lobby against it.

If your mission is to provide support, then listen to what we are saying.

Dx 10/23/2012, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Chemotherapy 11/2/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 4/17/2013 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 5/28/2013 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone), Zoladex (goserelin)

Page 6 of 54 (538 results)

Scroll to top button