Topic: Take the Fright Out of Breast Cancer™

Forum: Walks, Runs and Fundraising Events for Breastcancer.org — Discuss and share pictures of the walks, runs or fundraising events for Breastcancer.org. Visit also our Fundraising Forum for suggestions.

Posted on: Sep 6, 2017 07:24AM - edited Sep 23, 2017 08:10AM by moderators

Posted on: Sep 6, 2017 07:24AM - edited Sep 23, 2017 08:10AM by moderators

moderators wrote:

Hello Community!

We started this education and fundraising campaign to address fear as one of the many barriers that may keep people from getting the best care possible. We know we can never remove all of the fears around breast cancer. We know everyone responds to and lives with fear differently. Our goal is to motivate people to courageously and confidently make informed health and life decisions.

GET INVOLVED

Share the facts about breast cancer and breast health found in our toolkit.
Host a fundraising event (make it a Halloween party if you think that will help your friends and loved ones get involved).
Contribute your stories of addressing your own fears of breast cancer (just as no two cancers are alike, there is no one way through it).
Support each other by joining our growing community.

BREASTCANCER.ORG'S MISSION

Breastcancer.org is a nonprofit organization dedicated to informing and empowering people to protect their breast health and overcome the challenges of breast cancer. For more than 18 years, we have provided expert medical information to millions to help reduce the fears and anxieties associated with a diagnosis by providing the most reliable, complete, and up-to-date information about breast cancer, as well as hosting the largest and most active online breast cancer peer community.

YOUR DONATION'S IMPACT

Your support funds Breastcancer.org's educational and support programs. In a moment when many feel overwhelmed by their diagnosis and the critical decisions they have to make about their care, Breastcancer.org is there to answer their most pressing questions about breast cancer and connect them to a supportive peer community when they need it.

To quote Jackie, a Breastcancer.org Community member:

"Whenever I would have a new symptom or a question would pop into my mind, I could always find the answer on Breastcancer.org."

Your generous support is vital because it helps us deliver on our mission. Every gift counts. Give today in support of the millions who rely and depend on Breastcancer.org, not just this October, but every day.

Thank you!

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Page 8 of 54 (538 results)

Sep 16, 2017 06:53AM poseygirl wrote:

I will happily donate this week

Radiation Therapy 1/12/2016 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Dx 6/23/2016, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 7/11/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Targeted Therapy 9/15/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 11/29/2016 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Right); Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right) Hormonal Therapy 12/21/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 16, 2017 06:55AM - edited Sep 16, 2017 02:01PM by vlh

This Post was deleted by vlh.
Dx 5/20/2016, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 7/14/2016 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Dx 7/18/2016, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes Surgery 7/25/2016 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Chemotherapy 10/10/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 9/5/2017 Whole breast: Breast

Sep 16, 2017 07:04AM - edited Sep 16, 2017 08:04AM by Sara536

No one is saying that we don't value all those things ! You are changing the subject. The objections are all about the current fundraising theme: Pink Halloween. Mods, Oh Please! The ends do not always justify the means. How does pink help men with breast cancer? Would they feel more comfortable if powder blue was added to the campaign? How does pink help women who have always puked at pink being identified as a women's color? Pink is for babies- cute, helpless, and not yet capable of mature,rational thought. How did it help that the radiologist was wearing a pink shirt and a pink tie, when he misdiagnosed my cancer? He documented something suspicious but did not see fit to biopsy. He retired and the next guy biopsied and compared with the previous record and wrote that it was obvious in the first. (He did not tell me this to my face but I get my actual records now.) Just covering his butt and protecting the first guy?

Sep 16, 2017 07:11AM - edited Sep 16, 2017 07:13AM by lilacblue

Mods, I am aware the image I put up - the flyer clearly is not produced by BCO.

YES, if 'we' were self supporting though our own contributions, then fundraising would be a moot point. I just hit the donation button at the top of this page - for the first time, - using my Paypal account. A proactive way forward and as said previous, yup, I've taken and since I can, it's time I give back .

In my local area, I started (with another fitness instructor) a little grassroots charity, Pink Ribbon Pilates and the use of the term pink ribbon cuts right to the point. I donate my time and energy to create a once a week free Pilates mat class for anyone in treatment or completed, no matter how many years out. Four years of fundraising, through charitable donations from Rotary and Soroptimist to seed us at the start, and now, once a year fundraiser, our Wellbeing Day, has kept us going. We make just enough to pay a year of rent on the Boy Scout hall we hire and a few extras like new mats and blocks. Recently, we applied for a grant for the first time, from a well known cancer charity here in the UK and are awaiting a reply. Fundraising is exhausting, yet we don't need that much - ours is lean, tiny actually, in the big scheme of things and the women (stage I to IV) we serve are grateful we continue. That is what makes it all worthwhile.

Nothing is ever the same as they said it was. It's what I've never seen before that I recognise. - Diane Arbus Dx 4/13/2012, DCIS/IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/13/2012 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction (Left): DIEP flap, Nipple reconstruction

Sep 16, 2017 07:57AM traveltext wrote:

Mods. Thanks for coming back.The images I posted were found with a quick Google search for "breast cancer Halloween". While they are not from BCO, they are nevertheless going to be out there once your campaign kicks off and will reverberate throughout social media. IMO,you are creating a monstor (pun intended) that will have a life of its own.

All of us here know what good work you do and we also appreciate what you do. But, according to Charity Navigator you had annual revenues of $122 million in 2015 and spent millions of dollars on admin. This is fine, but I don't believe we need to feel totally indebted to you or need to kick in for your website which is quite out of date and really not the place people are coming to like they used to due to the popularity of social media sites. For me, looking out for guys here and supporting my IBC cohort is just part of my voluntary contribution to help people with cancer. I'm a phone counsellor and an oncology ward visitor at my local hospital. I think you'll find many here doing similar things.

Anyway, I'm happy to disagree with management on this issue, and I'll stay unless you delete my account. But I still feel your new campaign needs calling out and have written an article for wider distribution here: http://pinktobersucks.com/trick-or-fright/

NED breast and prostate cancer. Dx 03/14, IBC, Lgth. 2cm, Stge IIIB, Gde 2B, ER+/PR+, HER2- ; FEC x3, Taxol x3; Mx & 2/23 nodes; Rads x 33; now on tamoxofin.

Sep 16, 2017 08:04AM - edited Sep 16, 2017 08:18AM by marijen

Thank you for for your article a the www.pinktobersucks.com site Traveltext, it's time to stop the insanity. I'm afraid they've gone too far, it will be hard to undo. Heads should roll.

I am sorry I told anyone I have BC. I think it will be very embarrassing and confusing for everone. A big joke for some.. people will make so many assumptions not knowing the spectrum of the disease. IMO

Sep 16, 2017 08:19AM - edited Sep 16, 2017 11:23AM by Sara536

This is The "1st Annual"Take the Fright Out of Halloween event. So I guess the plan is to repeat for years to come.

Sep 16, 2017 08:32AM marijen wrote:

What's next, Christmas

Sep 16, 2017 08:32AM - edited Sep 16, 2017 08:33AM by moderators

PoseyGirl, thank you for your thoughtful and well articulated post. We are taking it to heart and discussing. Also, thank you for your offer to donate. It is very appreciated.

VLH, also really great suggestions. Thank you.

LilacBlue- thank you! And we hope you receive that grant!

BosumBlues, thank you for expressing that Breastcancer.org has been a lifeline for you. We understand that you too disagree about this campaign, but appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

Sara536, we do understand your objections, and are very, very sorry to hear that the radiologist misdiagnosed your cancer. Scared

We sincerely appreciate all the time you are all putting in to helping us figure out different approaches, as well as your donations (of any amount)!

Medicating

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Sep 16, 2017 08:46AM Sara536 wrote:

Marijen, I have not made my diagnosis public for some of the same reasons you are sorry that you did. I do not want pity or people pulling away from me. I don't want to go to a class that proclaims on the door that "All who enter here have cancer". I have been trying to talk myself out of this fear of the cancer label, but this BCO campaign is just making that label sillier and uglier and more confusing all at the same time. Kids are so impressionable, I feel sorry for them that they are being sujected to such a confusing and fearful introduction to cancer. Cancer patients are now in the same category as witches and ghosts and Frankenstein. We have always told kids who are scared of witches and ghosts and Frankenstein that these are just made up stories. Like cancer??

Page 8 of 54 (538 results)

Scroll to top button