We are 213,316 members in 82 forums discussing 152,270 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Angry and Disappointed at Susan Komen

Forum: Walks, Runs and Fundraising Events for Breastcancer.org —

Discuss and share pictures of the walks, runs or fundraising events for Breastcancer.org. Visit also our Fundraising Forum for suggestions.

Posted on: Oct 31, 2018 03:27AM

NoWhyToIt wrote:

they sent this out today and I think it’s very insensitive and not funny for cancer patients to get this. Here is their email if you agree and want to share your thoughts so they improve their campaigns

info@komennyc.org

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Oct 31, 2018 07:31AM gb2115 wrote:

Except doing nothing about breast cancer isn't actually scarier than actually having breast cancer (we all know what THAT's like), because it's not like their funds are actually curing the breast cancer, right?

Dx IDC in October 2016, stage 2A, 1.2 cm ER/PR+ Her2-, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes. Mammaprint low risk luminal A, Lumpectomy + radiation + tamoxifen. Age 38 at diagnosis.

Oct 31, 2018 07:47AM NoWhyToIt wrote:

Exactly gb2115

Oct 31, 2018 09:19PM Traveltext wrote:

spot on gb2115. They've fun this dreadful fundraiser in past years, despite criticism. Half their funds go on admin and advertising hype, while they keep promising to find a cure. Give us a break.

NED breast and prostate cancer. More on Male BC

Dx 03/14, IBC, Lgth. 2cm, Stge IIIB, Gde 2B, ER+/PR+, HER2- ; FEC x3, Taxol x3; Mx & 2/23 nodes; Rads x 33; now on tamoxofin.

Oct 31, 2018 11:53PM - edited Nov 1, 2018 12:00AM by viewfinder

I'm disappointed to read these opinions about the Susan G. Komen foundation, which I only learned about in April when I was first diagnoses with cancer. That's when I found his forum too.

I find their website uplifting, and the story behind how it started even more uplifting (if you don't know it, do a google search). My sister was diagnosed with breast cancer three months after me, and I'm more worried about her than me.

I've gone to the site and can't find anywhere where is says that half their funds go on admin and advertising hype, is that true? I've only found this.

Everyone has different humor and their Halloween promotion may not be the best. But it does contain truth. My cancer was so small that I'd never find it my self, at least not at this early stage. So the medical profession doing something about cancer and discovering mine, is not scarier than if they had done nothing.

No organization, as long as it's composed of human beings if perfect. I've read about some of the problems and criticisms it's had in the past. I assume they've worked them out and, if so, it should not be held forever against them.

Susan G. Komen foundation is doing something about breast cancer. As a newcomer to this scary world of cancer, I'm very grateful for what they and others do to fight this battle on our behalf.

Dx 4/2018, IDC, Left, <1cm, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes

Oct 31, 2018 11:54PM - edited Oct 31, 2018 11:55PM by viewfinder

This Post was deleted by viewfinder.
Dx 4/2018, IDC, Left, <1cm, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes

Nov 15, 2018 02:41PM NoWhyToIt wrote:

Viewfinder, I am so glad that you find solace in Komen. i'm sure many do. This is important and I don't say that sarcastically. Anything that gives patients hope is good. But they are flawed and spend a lot of money on self promotion. And they sent out a deeply insensitive promotion despite consumer complaints. I noticed your diagnosis. Cheers to you. Some are not so lucky on their diagnosis and it's even scarier than it is to you to grapple with life and death. I wrote to Komen and they never even wrote back. Lame.

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)