Join Us

We are 217,581 members in 84 forums discussing 160,637 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: javex

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: May 20, 2006 01:48AM

jinky wrote:

Hi Friends, My therapist called yesterday and told me to be careful with JAVEX. A LE patient used it and her hand is swollen really bad. Thought i would pass this on. LE hugs jinky

age 2, grade 1, 4 chemo, 5 yrs tamoxifen, femara 48mts, preventative mastectomy 2005 Dx 4/30/2002, ILC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

May 20, 2006 01:50AM Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the info! After reading articles and seeing programs on tv about different carcinogens, it's important for us to be aware of the products we are using -- and shouldn't be.

May 20, 2006 06:22AM Binney4 wrote:

Which, being interpreted into the lingo of the USofA, means: Clorox. Right?

Jinky, did this person put it in the wash or get her hands into a bucket with some Javex in it? I use bleach in my white loads all the time and haven't had a problem with it, but I haven't gotten any on my hands. (In fact, I always worry when I'm pouring it that it's going to splash on my gloves and eat them, but it's too much of a struggle to take them off just to do the stupid laundry.) So this is scary news!

May 20, 2006 06:24AM Binney4 wrote:

By the way, that was REALLY nice of your therapist to call you and tell you that. Aren't LE therapists incredible?!

May 20, 2006 06:27AM Anonymous wrote:

Yes, Javex is the same as Clorox. It sounds to me like this person put her hand into the bleach w/out rubber gloves and it caused a reaction. Hopefully the rubber gloves would be enough protection.

May 20, 2006 07:12AM jinky wrote:

Hi Girls.
Yes that is what happened. She used it mixed with detergent to clean with and never wore gloves.I am always careful with javex but i have accidently done the same thing if i was soaking a item in the sink.
It never stops. Yes the therapist was so nice to let me know.She has called once a month since treatment.
LE hugs jinky
Never knew it would do this to LE.
age 2, grade 1, 4 chemo, 5 yrs tamoxifen, femara 48mts, preventative mastectomy 2005 Dx 4/30/2002, ILC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 22, 2006 07:49AM CurlyBrunette wrote:

Its funny because I heard that bleach (Chlorox) is a disinfectant, anti bacterial and anti viruside so if anything it kills germs and should not be a problem for LE. I also read if you are going to swim you should avoid lakes, ponds, streams etc and stick to a chlorinated pool where the germs are non-existant compared to the other places to swim. I do however agree that one should NOT put their hands nor any body part (nor expose it) to straight undiluted bleach or any cleaning agent. Thats just common sense.

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)