We are 221,170 members in 81 forums discussing 156,124 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: No massage or compression therapy for me

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: May 24, 2006 07:56AM

rockongal wrote:

HI fellow LE survivors!

I saw the NP yesterday and she told me that they would get me an appt to learn exercises, but no massage or compression b/c the bc is in the lymph nodes (creating the LE). I was so depressed AND had to go thru 4-5 hrs of tx.

I have strong pain meds that help but it is discouraging that I cannot get any relief except from the pain meds. And, when the cancer goes away from the lymph nodes. I have faith that it will go away and I pray that God will take away my pain.

Not really a question...just venting...sorry.

Blessings, peace, and prayers,
Kim Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (15 results)

Posts 1 - 15 (15 total)

May 24, 2006 09:17AM DoreenF wrote:

Hi Kim: Sorry to read this - and hope that you are able to get the pain under control. I don't know where you're at in your treatment plan .. are you currently going through chemo ? If so.. I hope that the chemo does its job - and that your lymph system recovers to the point where you do not have LE any longer. If not - once the cancer is out of your lymph system you should be able to have the massage and compression (wrapping or garmets)- to help with the pain.

Gentle Hugs,
Doreen
"Cancer May Leave Your Body, but It Never Leaves Your Life" - Lance Armstrong Foundation Manifesto. Dx 4/18/2005, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 24, 2006 09:25AM rockongal wrote:

Thank you for your compassion, Doreen. Sometimes I think I'm just a big whiner!!
Hugs back at you!
Kim

May 24, 2006 09:55AM DoreenF wrote:

I didn't interpret your post as whining ... though you do have the right to whine... !
Take care ... and hang in there!
Doreen
"Cancer May Leave Your Body, but It Never Leaves Your Life" - Lance Armstrong Foundation Manifesto. Dx 4/18/2005, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 24, 2006 12:07PM Binney4 wrote:

Oh, Kim, what a disappointment! So count on my prayers for your quick healing and pain relief, too. Come here and "whine" all you want -- we certainly can at least share your pain and frustration, even if we can't get together for a group hug and a round of healing hot chocolate!

((((((((Hugs)))))))))) and prayers,
Binney

May 24, 2006 03:02PM LizFL wrote:

Kim, hope that you get some relief from the pain soon. All of this can be so frustrating and overwhelming at times. Feel free to "whine" if it helps. We all do it from time to time! It's hard to vent to those that don't know what you are going through. At least there is plenty of understanding on these boards.

Hugs,
Liz

May 25, 2006 06:08AM inspiewriter wrote:

(((HUGS))))

May 25, 2006 08:12AM rockongal wrote:

Hi all!

The whining comment in no way had anything to do with you ladies. You all are wonderful, supportive and true sisters! My mother and friends are very happy I found this forum because although they are great, they don't know what we've gone through. This forum has been an answer to a prayer & I hope that I provide as much support and help as has been given to me.

Hugs & prayers to you all!
Kim

May 25, 2006 10:22AM jinky wrote:

Hi Kim, I know how you feel. This form is like a lifeline to all of us. Praying you get some relief and healing. LE hugs jinky

age 2, grade 1, 4 chemo, 5 yrs tamoxifen, femara 48mts, preventative mastectomy 2005 Dx 4/30/2002, ILC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 26, 2006 05:01AM NPat wrote:

Kim,
I haven't read your other posts. I don't understand. Did you have an axillary dissection and the nodes were found to be positive or are the lymph nodes that are felt to be positive still in place? I had an axillary dissection with 11/20+ nodes and started massage and compression therapy during chemo. The surgeon was upset that I waited 3 weeks before seeing him with a swollen arm because he felt treatment should have been started sooner. My white count was low and everyone was concerned about the increased risk of infection in my swollen arm. This month is my 2 year anniversary since lumpectomy. I just had a bone scan, CT scan and PET... other that a "non-metabolic" mass (benign) in my liver... all is well... PTL!
Oh, I am a NP... that WAS dumb, dumb, dumb about LE until I became a lymphomanic. Funny how God provides instruction...
Pat
NPat

May 26, 2006 07:27AM inspiewriter wrote:

Just thought I'd chime in again-- I finally got the paperwork to get an appt with a therapist. Looks like it might be awhile until I get to see someone.

Hope you all have a pleasant long weekend!

May 26, 2006 08:29AM rockongal wrote:

In summary, right breast & lymph nodes had cancer, initially. It spread to the lymph nodes in my chest and left arm, and left breast. Because of this, I cannot have massage or compression tx. Also, I can't have surgery b/c the docs are concerned about spreading. I would have happily had the left breast & lymphs removed. The expander on the right side is just fine with me. I guess I will have the expander instead of an implant b/c of the no surgery deal. I really don't care b/c its just as good as having a breast (at least with clothes on).

Yea Robin for getting paperwork for LE therapist. Hope it helps!

Hugs & prayers to you all!
Kim

May 29, 2006 02:53PM NPat wrote:

Kim,
I am sorry that you have more nodes involved. That is the pits! Continue taking precautions: gloves when cleaning or washing dishes, and with damp laundry to avoid mold, limited lifting, no hot baths, treat small cuts with antibiotic ointment, get an emergency Rx for an antibiotic in the event you get an infection started on the weekend due to a scratch or bite.

I will be praying for you.

Pat
NPat

May 31, 2006 08:32AM rockongal wrote:

Thanks much! Research nurse told me she didn't know about the cancer spreading thing, but she thought the onc said no b/c the fluid has no where to go. Nonetheless, I will probably start exercises therapy next week. I took all precautions this past weekend & got no bites, cuts, etc.

Thanks for the prayers! Take care!
Kim

Jun 2, 2006 07:55AM Binney4 wrote:

Hi, Kim,
Just ran across this recent article abstract and thought it might be helpful for your doctor -- even if it just sparks a discussion about his reasons for skipping the therapy.

You can find this abstract here (you have to copy the whole address, not just the part in red):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?
cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16737666&itool=iconabst
r&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum

Journal Soc Integr Oncol. 2006 Winter;4(1):8-12.

"Can manual treatment of lymphedema promote metastasis?"

by Godette K, Mondry TE, Johnstone PA.

Complete decongestive therapy (CDT; alternatively known as complete decongestive physiotherapy) is a treatment program for patients diagnosed with primary or secondary lymphedema. CDT incorporates manual lymphatic drainage (MLD), a technique involving therapeutic manipulation of the affected limb. There are several contraindications to performing CDT. Relative contraindications include hypertension, paralysis, diabetes, and bronchial asthma. General contraindications include acute infections of any kind and congestive heart failure. Malignant disease is also widely considered a general contraindication; a current vogue concept is that MLD will lead to dissemination and acceleration of cancer. However, cancer research supports the contention that this therapy does not contribute to spread of disease and should not be withheld from patients with metastasis. The intent of this article is to review these data.

Interesting! Glad somebody's looking into these questions. Hope it helps. Do let us know how the exercise therapy goes.
Binney

Jun 3, 2006 08:45AM rockongal wrote:

Thanks, Binney! I'll run this info by my onc and LE therapist when I go in next week. You have been so helpful & knowledgeable about LE! Thanks, again!
Kim

Page 1 of 1 (15 results)