We are 224,899 members in 82 forums discussing 157,995 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: bio concepts ladies

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: May 30, 2006 05:39PM

Jennifer wrote:

did you go to a fitter, pt, or measure your self and what about insurance coverage? it's time for a new sleeve and i wanted to see about trying this after hearing you rave about it. i would appreciate any information you can give me.
thanks,
jennifer Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (14 results)

Posts 1 - 14 (14 total)

May 31, 2006 12:07PM DoreenF wrote:

Hi Jennifer... I have ordered .. but still haven't gotten my sleeve and glove... (there was a big booboo at the DME place..). Anyway... I would not attempt to measure myself... there are tooo many measurements required. I went back to my LE therapist and she measured me. Note - she got very frustrated as she's used to dealing with measurements in CM and MM ... not inches. My DME had not ordered from bio-concepts before... and that really slowed things down too...

Bio-concepts will bill some insurance carriers directly - why not call them up and see if they can bill your insurance - you'd still need to get measured...

I hope my new garmets come in soon ... my old ones are pretty worn out ...

Doreen
"Cancer May Leave Your Body, but It Never Leaves Your Life" - Lance Armstrong Foundation Manifesto. Dx 4/18/2005, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 1, 2006 04:58AM NPat wrote:

My therapist murmurred about the measurements in inches also but then saw the quality of the product and was pleased. I have to order through a DME company because BioConcepts won't bill TRICARE
Pat
NPat

Jun 1, 2006 08:13AM sherry7 wrote:

Hi ladies, what is DME? Sherry

let the miracles happen... Dx 9/17/2005, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Jun 1, 2006 09:05AM DoreenF wrote:

DME = Dureable Medical Equipment
Our sleeves and gloves typically have to be ordered through one of these types of businesses... they also typically deal with wheelchairs, etc
"Cancer May Leave Your Body, but It Never Leaves Your Life" - Lance Armstrong Foundation Manifesto. Dx 4/18/2005, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 1, 2006 12:02PM pconn03 wrote:

Doreen:
I'm going for an evaluation tomorrow to the doctor - then maybe (??) he will send me on to a PT. My question is regarding ordering glove/sleeve from DME - do you typically get the RX for this through the therapist or is it something you order on your own with the PT's blessing??
Sorry to be so dumb but would just like to be a step ahead of the game if they say I need the products. Right now I have a Jobst sleeve/glove that I bought "just in case" and have worn it on plane trips. Are these other products much much better than the Jobst ones???
Thanks for any info you can give me.
Pat
Pat

Jun 1, 2006 12:12PM DoreenF wrote:

Hi: Typically you have to have a prescrition for the garmets ... my LE therapist got the prescription via my doctor .. it has the compression level which is required.
If over the counter sleeve/glove fit you well - you can continue to use them... I haven't used Jobst sleeve - so cannot comment on that. I currently have Juzo and I really do not like it ... it pills up and snags very easily. My LE therapist coordinated everything for the first order (measuring, getting prescription and getting the DME involved... I had no idea that there were even choices in companies - they just used who they always order from). You're not dumb... just in unchartered waters.

I have heard many wonderful things about the bio-concepts sleeve and glove - so decided to give them a try. I'm hoping that I will like them much better than the Juzo.

Good luck with your doctor visit tomorrow... and I hope you get the help you need. LE is certainly a pain (in many many ways...)

Let us know how the doctor visit goes .. and what the next steps are ... make sure you end up with good fitting garmets - they should be snug - but not cut off flow...
Hugs,
Doreen

Jun 1, 2006 03:13PM Binney4 wrote:

Hi, Pat,

Not sure if I'm understanding your question (a bit dense here!), but just wanted to add that you get fitted for a new glove and sleeve AFTER the therapy has reduced the swelling, so that the garments can maintain your svelte new size. As Doreen suggested, most therapists deal with only one or two manufacturers and they don't know much about the others. (Juzo, for instance has area reps who deal directly with therapists, making it easy for them to order from them.) But shopping around is what we ladies do best, and in this case it may help a lot. Not everyone will like the same brand, so we need choices. The problem with shopping for LE garments is that you've got therapists and/or fitters, suppliers, manufacturers and the stupid insurance company all in the mix. But LE garments don't last too long in the overall scheme of things, so if you don't like what your therapist offers you can always work out the details of going with another brand the next time.

Do you like the Jobst? If so, maybe that brand will work for you. Just know that there are other options.

You're not dumb, Pat -- this is an incredibly complicated mess. It gets a bit clearer as you go along. Hang in there, and keep us posted!
Binney

Jun 2, 2006 07:38AM pconn03 wrote:

Doreen & Binney:
Had the appointment this AM with the LE doctor and he doesn't believe it's LE because it doesn't present as LE and is not really sore. However, he did agree with me that the left upper inside arm above the shoulder does look different. He said it might be an inflamation of the tendons and this makes sense since that was the dx for my rotator cuff and bicep problems - "tendons that are severley affected." Sooooooo this is the plan: he gave me an RX to have a doppler ultrasound done on the upper arm to rule out DVT since I guess that can present with swelling etc. (even though I don't have the redness or warmth yet). He wants me to wear the sleeve for two weeks and then I have another appointment with him in four weeks. I am to call him immediately if there is any change in the arm at all.
Part #2 - I have my appointment with the surgeon on Monday regarding the shoulder problem so not sure what that will bring.
Anyway gals, thanks for the concern and the help. It is greatly appreciated.
Hugs,
Pat
Pat

Jun 2, 2006 07:45AM Binney4 wrote:

Goodness, Pat, what a relief to be on the road to fixing this! He sounds so responsive and careful -- yes! I'm rooting for something completely curable and hoping it'll be quick as well.

Thanks for letting us know, and please update us after the surgeon visit. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Binney

Jun 2, 2006 09:27AM pconn03 wrote:

Hi Binney:
I sure will keep you informed, and thank you so much for the thoughts and prayers. I did notice that I misspoke in my post . . . I said the swelling was on the inside of my arm above my shoulder, I meant to say above my elbow
Anyway, thanks again and take care.
Hugs,
Pat
Pat

Jun 6, 2006 07:32PM DoreenF wrote:

I FINALLY got my sleeve and glove today. I really like the fabric. I'll wear them for the first time tomorrow...
The delay was primarily due to the the DME company I'm working with - they lost my paperwork - and then told me they had found it - but they'd found the paperwork for my night sleeve - not the bio-concepts... then they took forever to order it - Geez - what is wrong with these places ? Anyway... it's here - and It looks like its' going to be much better than the Juzo ... looks like its' not going to be anywhere near as hot and raggedy looking...
Doreen

Jun 7, 2006 04:37AM NPat wrote:

Doreen,
I hope things go well with your new garments. Sometimes it takes a couple orders to "tweek" the fit. I have always been pleased with Bio-Concepts service. Lari-Ann has addressed any needs I may have. Let us know how things go.
Pat
NPat

Jun 7, 2006 01:52PM DoreenF wrote:

I really like my new bio-concepts sleeve and glove (OK.. I know we don't really like having to wear these garmets - but hey, if we have to wear them - these ones are NICE!!). I really like the fabric - and the fit is wonderful... these are sooo much nicer than the Juzo garmets .. they feel really lightweight and kinda silky...
my glove fits perfectly ... the only thing I'm not too sure about is the overlap between the sleeve and the glove - the top part of the glove (where it overlaps with the sleeve)keeps bunching up and slipping back down towards my hand - do any of you have this ?? I'm not seeing the swelling in my fingertips like I have with the Juzo... these are way more comfortable!! Now to see if my insurance will cover them - or if I have to fight - they covered the garmets last year - so... they should cover them again.
Thanks!!!
Doreen

Jun 8, 2006 04:49AM NPat wrote:

Doreen,
It sounds like the wrist part of your glove may be a bit too loose...! My glove and sleeve overlap about 2 inches but the glove doesn't bunch up because it fits snugly over the sleeve. If you have a digital cameral, take a picture of the problem and e-mail it to Lari-Ann. I bet she can get the problem fixed. The were very prompt when my sleeve was adjusted.
Pat
NPat

Page 1 of 1 (14 results)