We are 224,900 members in 82 forums discussing 157,995 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: question please regarding gloves etc

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: Jun 3, 2006 08:20AM

jinky wrote:

I know the gauntlets and gloves come in 20 -30....30- 40 mmhg strength. I have a 20-30 glove and have to wear a swell spot to control swelling.Has anyone tried the 30-40 strength?
Maybe with the higher strenght i wouldn't need a swell spot????????thanks LE hug jinky
age 2, grade 1, 4 chemo, 5 yrs tamoxifen, femara 48mts, preventative mastectomy 2005 Dx 4/30/2002, ILC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Jun 3, 2006 09:16AM andys wrote:

Jinky,
At one point, because I was having trouble controlling the swelling in my hand, the therapist tried a 30-40 glove. She said that sometimes patients with hand swelling need a higher compression in the gauntlet than in the sleeve. Somthing helped (maybe the tauntlet, maybe time, maybe the good fairy) and my hand finally went back to something near normal. BUT, my hand also was always stiff and I developed wrist problems. As an experiment, the last time I needed a new gauntlet, I went back to the lower strength. Swelling is still under control, and the stiffness and wrist pain is gone. Coincidence? I don't know, but be careful.

Jun 3, 2006 11:14AM jinky wrote:

Hi Andy, I only wear my sleeve in the morning doing housework and going to town. I don't know what you meant be "be careful". Did you ever wear a swell spot under your glove? Thanks for the help. LE hugs jinky

age 2, grade 1, 4 chemo, 5 yrs tamoxifen, femara 48mts, preventative mastectomy 2005 Dx 4/30/2002, ILC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)