We are 221,170 members in 81 forums discussing 156,124 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Swelling question

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: Jun 4, 2006 02:00PM

Kim6891 wrote:

I have a question. Does lymphedemea cause your arm to swell uniformly or ?? My arm is swelling today right below my elbow, kind of like Popeye... not attractive at all. It doesn't hurt and isn't red at all. Does have white spots... this stuff never ends.. Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)

Posts 1 - 11 (11 total)

Jun 4, 2006 02:08PM NPat wrote:

Kim,
Not necessarily. My swelling was more in my forearm than anywhere else and that swelling was the last to go after treatment. I NEVER go without my sleeve or night garment so I have no idea what will happen... and don't want to know! Some people have gotten it only in the thumb or fingers. We are all different.
Pat
NPat

Jun 4, 2006 02:20PM Kim6891 wrote:

Pat,
Thank you... I get so tired of "surpises".

Jun 4, 2006 07:25PM Jennifer wrote:

I have the Popeye look with a little additional swelling right above my elbow. But most of my swelling is between my wrist and elbow.
Jennifer

Jun 4, 2006 07:33PM rhymeee wrote:

Could some one answer a really dumb question on LE please?

I have occassional swelling........goes and comes, no pain and it is just about at my wrist. Sometimes 1 inch swelling maybe just a bit more. Can this be LE ?

Jun 4, 2006 08:04PM DoreenF wrote:

Rhymee - I'm definitely not an expert on LE ... but I don't think LE would just go away on its own without any help... I suspect that its' something else ...
But .. you definitely want more opinions than mine!

Doreen
"Cancer May Leave Your Body, but It Never Leaves Your Life" - Lance Armstrong Foundation Manifesto. Dx 4/18/2005, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 4, 2006 09:09PM rhymeee wrote:

DoreenF,

Thanks. save me some embarassment going and telling the Doc.

Jun 4, 2006 09:18PM Binney4 wrote:

Rhymee, there aren't any dumb questions about LE because there's so little known about it that everybody's in the same boat! Does your swelling go away when you elevate your arm?

I first went to a therapist because I had swelling and pain in my chest. She measured my arm, too, even though I told her it wasn't swollen. And her measurements showed that in fact it was, even though I couldn't recognize it visually. So I'd suggest that you ask your doctor about it, and if he hasn't got any better explanation for it, get yourself a referral to a well-qualified LE therapist for evaluation. Untreated early-stage LE does fluctuate with activity and position and temperature and pressure and who-knows-what, but it doesn't go away completely and it progresses from stage to stage (unless it's a special kind of LE known as "transient" LE, but that doesn't keep coming back). Worth looking into, anyhow. (Only I sure hope it's something lots simpler and real easy to solve!)

Binney

Jun 4, 2006 09:29PM rhymeee wrote:

Binney,

Thank you so much for all this good and important information. I had never heard of it before the boards !

Jun 5, 2006 06:41AM inspiewriter wrote:

Mine seems to be only in the back of my hand and fingers. I guess they will compare to the other arm when I finally see a therapist this week.

Jun 5, 2006 11:19AM andys wrote:

My swelling moves around. I first noticed it in the back of my hand - was convinced that was the only place I had it until therapist measured and discovered minor swelling all over. After I got the hand more or less under control, I had swelling in my forearm. Now, it mostly bothers my upper arm. Oh, and I've had swelling move to particular fingers, too - that seems to be the hardest to get rid of. By the way, as far as I'm concerned, there are no dumb questions about lymphedema. No one seems to have definitive answers, so how can the questions be dumb.

Jun 7, 2006 08:14AM inspiewriter wrote:

Quote:
Could some one answer a really dumb question on LE please?

I have occassional swelling........goes and comes, no pain and it is just about at my wrist. Sometimes 1 inch swelling maybe just a bit more. Can this be LE ?

Forgot to say--originally my swelling came and went--if I got a cut or scratch on that arm, it would swell, then go away. Now it's staying slightly swollen so I am seeing the therapist today.

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)