We are 221,132 members in 81 forums discussing 156,102 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: MRI for lymphadema - found something in lungs!

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: Jun 9, 2006 05:10AM

bhull wrote:

Hey Ladies,

I went this week for an MRI of both breasts - due to lymphedema and tenderness in my bc breast. However, I just got a call this morning from the breast surgeon's head nurse...the MRI results are in. Good news - nothing in either breast - hurrah! however...the MRI showed questionable areas in my left lung. So now I am scheduled for a CAT scan of my lungs at noon today (I just was called by the nurse at 8:30am).

No need to tell you, but I am scared to death! I just don't have anyone around right now to talk to. So I turned to you ladies (my support system)!

Have any of you had an MRI done that showed up something in your lungs? Did the other test show that nothing was wrong? I know I am just grasping for positive stories right now....

I am dreading telling my kids (when they wake-up) that mommy has to go for another test today.

~ Barb (in Indy)
"I am not lost. I am exploring. Life is an adventure worth exploring!" Dx 4/2003, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (19 results)

Posts 1 - 19 (19 total)

Jun 9, 2006 05:15AM rhymeee wrote:

bhull,

So sorry you are having this scare! Don't blame you at all for being nervous.

Wishing you good luck !

Jun 9, 2006 06:10AM Binney4 wrote:

Oh, Barb, I can just feel that hit to the gut -- I'm so sorry. Deep breaths, and here's a big (((((((((hug))))))))). Also prayers for the kids when you tell them "more tests".

I had a similar scare. Fell hard, thought I'd broken a radiated rib, so the onc sent me for an x-ray. Ribs were fine (well, they still hurt, but you know what I mean), but there was this spot in my lung they hadn't seen before, just showing up under the clavical. So off for a CT scan. (You have to hold your breath for brief periods during a CT scan and one thing I discovered is it's really hard to hold your breath when you're sobbing! Big coward here!) It turned out it was too small and inaccessible to biopsy, so they did periodic CT scans for 2 years and, since it didn't change in that time, they finally declared it benign (VERY LONG wait for an all-clear -- aaugh!). My bc partner (next door neighbor, actually) had a similar scare, they did a biopsy (not a difficult procedure, BTW) and it turned out to be scarring from a long-ago respiratory problem (Valley Fever, to be exact, but all kinds of things can do it -- bronchitis, etc.)

So essentially it's too early to panic, but that's never stopped me and probably it won't stop you either. We have too much "history." So we'll all just be here waiting it out with you. You're not alone!

They'll probably do "with and without contrast," which means an IV. I'm sorry, Barb, but I don't remember if you're bilat or not. If so, do get "Foot only" written on the order and be sure to call ahead and make sure they schedule someone there who can do it in your foot. Either way, it does help me to warm the hand (or foot) before you go as it makes the veins easier to access. (I use a micro-wave heating pad I can wrap around it.) Let us know how it goes.

Hang in there!
Binney

Jun 9, 2006 09:43AM rrs wrote:

My radiologist told me that BC radiation treatment may leave scars on the lungs and that they my show up soemtime in the future. I know it may impossible not to be afraid but it is probably nothing at all. They just want to be careful and take good care of you.

Jun 9, 2006 10:59AM jinky wrote:

Hi, Bhull, I am so sorry you are going through this. It never seems to end.The waiting is the hardest.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
LE hugs jinky
age 2, grade 1, 4 chemo, 5 yrs tamoxifen, femara 48mts, preventative mastectomy 2005 Dx 4/30/2002, ILC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 9, 2006 11:41AM DoreenF wrote:

Hi bhull ... so sorry to hear about this ... but try to keep busy and not let your mind jump to the worst concusions... the waiting is the pitts!! I am hoping and praying that it is nothing to be concerned with and that they will be able to quickly rule that out....
Please keep us posted...
Hugs,
Doreen
"Cancer May Leave Your Body, but It Never Leaves Your Life" - Lance Armstrong Foundation Manifesto. Dx 4/18/2005, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 9, 2006 05:01PM bhull wrote:

Thanks for all your concern...good thoughts....and hugs!

I had the CT today at 12:00noon. I contacted my Doctor's nurse at 4pm to see if any results were in - nothing yet!.

So of course...5 o'clock comes around...still no word.

You know what that means...the whole week-end now ahead of me to sit and worry. A whole week-end for my husband and kids to be on pins and needles. I hate this pit in my stomache feeling!

I will let you all know when ever I hear something. If I don't go crazy by then!

~ Barb
"I am not lost. I am exploring. Life is an adventure worth exploring!" Dx 4/2003, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jun 10, 2006 06:46AM andys wrote:

Barb,
I am so sorry you have to go through this. I hope it turns out to be just another scare. Sometimes it seems like our lives are all about waiting for test results. I hope your kids can keep you distracted enough so you get some enjoyment this weekend. Hopes and Prayers.

Jun 10, 2006 05:57PM NPat wrote:

Barb,
I went through a similar experience about 3 weeks ago. My liver enzymes went up and I had a CT of my abdomen which showed a liver mass. PET scan showed the mass was "non metabolic" (not growing). I have some density that probably has been there forever and will get a repeat PET in Aug. I stopped niacin and my liver enzymes are normalizing.

Binney, was my rock during this event. We are all sisters in whatever happens to one another. I will be saying a prayer for you. My PCP whom I work for had me see my surgeon immediately after the PET to discuss a liver resection but whe he came in the room after speaking with the radiologist who did a STAT read of the PET... he was scratching his head and told me, "There isn't anything on the PET." My PET was on a Friday... Being a NP and working for my doc did help me get the news and not have to worry over the weekend. The downside is that this is a small communtity and EVERYONE knows my business. One of my patients did my CT...

Think positive thoughts with me...

Pat
NPat

Jun 13, 2006 11:12AM bhull wrote:

GREAT NEWS!!!!

I finally found out that my CT Scan came back normal! Nothing is there! So they have decided that whatever the MRI picked up was just a blip - nothing really there!

It took until today (Tues.) to find out the results. I think the waiting is the worse part of the whole thing.

I haven't slept well since Friday. My husband was so nervous that he was driving me crazy!!

So, now I can take a deep breath and go on....

Thanks for all your prayers, Barb

Jun 13, 2006 11:20AM Binney4 wrote:

WOW!!! I just LOVE good news, and this is the best! Hug those kids and find some great way to celebrate!
Binney

Jun 13, 2006 11:22AM susanmcm wrote:

Happy for you Barb,
I had a similar situation with similar results.

God Bless,
Susan

Jun 13, 2006 11:33AM DoreenF wrote:

Wooohooo.... Yippeeee Yeah.... I just love hearing news like this ... so glad that it was just a blip and nothing to be concerned with ....
Hugs,
Doreen
"Cancer May Leave Your Body, but It Never Leaves Your Life" - Lance Armstrong Foundation Manifesto. Dx 4/18/2005, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 13, 2006 12:31PM stacey2930 wrote:

I have been thinking about you!!! Thanks for letting us know! Horray!!!

Yesterday is history tomorrow's a mystery and today is a gift that is why it's called the present Dx 10/20/2005, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 13, 2006 07:08PM donnarock wrote:

great news!!! so glad you can finally get a good nights sleep!
sweet dreams!!!
hugs,

stacy

Jun 14, 2006 07:15PM rrs wrote:

Wonderful news. Thank you for letting us know.

Jun 14, 2006 07:19PM rhymeee wrote:

yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Jun 16, 2006 04:47AM NPat wrote:

Belated.... waaaaahhhooooooooo!!!! This has been a "challenging" week and I haven't been on the boards much so forgive my lateness.

Pat
NPat

Jun 16, 2006 07:35AM andys wrote:

So glad for you. I'm still waiting for the results from my pelvic ultrasound, where I heard murmurs like "I don't think this was here last time". It's been 10 days, and I'm figuring no news is good news - Gyn said to call if I hadn't heard in 2 weeks. It's going to be a long weekend.

Jun 16, 2006 09:05PM rrs wrote:

Good news Barb.

Andy - I'll be keeping fingers crossed for you but hopefully it is nothing. I've had things show up on pelvic ultrasounds before that resolved in a few months - back when I had anything there to ultrasound. Those U/S became a routine for me when I started taking tamoxifen.

Rhonda

Page 1 of 1 (19 results)