We are 224,899 members in 82 forums discussing 157,995 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Issels Treatment??

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: Jun 9, 2006 11:48PM

RHall wrote:

Hi everyone, I am looking into the issels treatment for my stepmother. She was diagnosed almost a year ago with breast cancer. She went through grueling chemo AND radiation, only to get her final body scan and find out that it had spread to her nodes and liver. She is getting second opinions and changing doctors, etc...before going ahead with the even stronger amt. of chemotherapy.

A few individuals have suggested looking into the issels treatment, which we have. She is considering following up this next chemo with the issels tx. Unfortunately, besides being expensive (36,000 for the whole package), it is impossible to get an impartial testimonial thats not straight from the issles people themselves.

Basically, I would really appreaciate anyone with the slightest amount of info. or experience with this treatment (good or bad) to reply. We appreciate any information we can get. Thanks!!! Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)

Posts 1 (1 total)

Jun 10, 2006 06:11PM NPat wrote:

I am NOT really informed about it. But, I do believe it is to be used in combination with traditional treatment... not a replacement. Often, when we get devastating news, we panic and grab at other modalities. I took 3 weeks to decide to have a lumpectomy or mastectomy. I had 11/20+ nodes and despite a recent scare regarding my liver... I am doing fine. Liver mets can be treated with resection depending on the location and involvement. I encourage getting information on treatment choices... How were you introduced to the Issel treatment? Are there other academic cancer centers near her that may offer different options?
Pat
NPat

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)