We are 225,770 members in 82 forums discussing 158,444 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: finally summer weather here in Nova Scotia

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: Jun 18, 2006 11:34AM

jinky wrote:

Hi Friends,
Going by Fahrenheit it is 82 degrees. Sure not used to this. Don't know how some of you gals handle 100F.
Well guess what..... my arm is swelling with the heat and i am wrapping (when needed)and using my sleeve when i need to.
This is what you all have taught me so i am not scared like i was when i first came here.
It is working and that is what counts.
Binn thanks for the summer hints...didn't realize the sun would bother my arm. This is what happened as i went yard sailng with just my sleeve and no long sleeve shirt.
I know better now. It seems when i USE my hand and arm it swells and when i take it EASY it is good.
Is this normal????????
I am being careful with hangnails and bites.
Started the deep breathing after reading the posts.Didn't realize it that it is so important.
I am always learning something here.
All in all i am doing good and i hope you all have a wonderful summer.
LE hugs jinky
age 2, grade 1, 4 chemo, 5 yrs tamoxifen, femara 48mts, preventative mastectomy 2005 Dx 4/30/2002, ILC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Jun 18, 2006 08:03PM Binney4 wrote:

That's an interesting question, Jinky, because we obviously can't just let our arms "freeze" from lack of motion. It seems like such a balancing act to me. I've got a couple of exercise videos that seem to help with mobility and range of motion even when my arms are acting up and have to be babyed (babied? baby-ed? Is this even a word!) a bit more.

I have a question for everyone, too. It seems to me that I have more trouble with swelling when I don't get enough sleep, but maybe it's just that I'm crankier and more frustrated and my attitude just makes me think it's more swollen. (This condition does tend to do a number on my mind -- lymphedema-brain!) Has anybody else noticed this?

Thanks,
Binney

Jun 20, 2006 02:33PM NPat wrote:

Binney,
Do you think that when you don't get enough sleep you are either up doing something or tossing and flailing your arms about... thus, your limb is still stressed. Heat does exacerbate swelling and cause me to be restless. Last night I asked my husband to turn up the AC... it was 75 degrees and I was miserable. This may be due to no estrogen also. In the panhandle, it is sweltering... too much humidity!
Pat
NPat

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)