Join Us

We are 216,859 members in 84 forums discussing 160,262 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: How do you keep your heart healthy

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: Jun 18, 2006 08:09PM

Hattie wrote:

while avoiding lymphedema? My PT (LE trained) says if you exercise and feel it the next day, not good. So no overexertion, so how do I help my heart? I will be seeing her soon, but am wondering. What do you all do? I walk a lot, garden, used to do weight training, haven't been a runner or swimmer but would like to get in shape.
Thanks.
Take care,
--Hattie
life is good

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Jun 19, 2006 07:16AM Margerie wrote:

Hattie,

I am a swimmer and just love it. It actually feels GREAT on my affected arm to work it in the water. You also can't pull a muscle or injure yourself. I also like to hike. Lucky for me we have a great 45 minute hike right outside our property. I do some weight bearing exercise 3 times a week with weights- not straining at all, just repeating 10 times for 3 sets with rests. This feels great on my affected arm also. If I skip a week, it will tighten up again. I am careful not to strain, have never been sore the next day. I also have a treadmill which I crank up the incline and read the paper. Otherwise I would die from boredom. And don't laugh, but have you ever tried speed cleaning? Especially if you have a 2-story home you can get your heart rate up pretty high and manage to get the house clean at the same time. It is a good hour workout for me.

Good luck in your endeavors. Chasing your kids around, or kicking the soccer ball with them is pretty good too!

Margerie
Are we there yet? Dx 10/4/2005, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 5/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jun 19, 2006 09:24AM Hattie wrote:

Thanks Margerie. I'll have to rethink cleaning!
Take care,
--Hattie
life is good

Jun 20, 2006 05:34AM inspiewriter wrote:

Cleaning, bleh. LOL

I also read on the treadmill--makes the time go faster. But I don't let my affected arm hang or swing down anymore, I try to keep it up as much as possible.

I want to check out swimming as a possibility. . . .

Jun 20, 2006 06:15AM Margerie wrote:

LOL robin! I crank up some great music and go to town.

Anyway, I encourage you ladies to hop in the pool. It feels so good and is quite the workout. If laps aren't your thing, there are many exercises that work out your whole body. The all-over pressure the water puts on your affected arm(s) is good for the lymph flow and feels great too.
Are we there yet? Dx 10/4/2005, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 5/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jun 20, 2006 06:46AM Binney4 wrote:

Wow, Margerie, you're a real motivator -- you actually make exercise sound like a treat!

I too love what the pool does for my LE -- even if all I do in it is play around. (They tell me the only exercise better for LE than swimming is scuba diving, and I'm not going there!) Hattie, I also have exercise tapes from the Osteoporosis Society and from LeBed (Focus on Healing). The LeBed was developed specifically for after bc treatments and for LE and I've found it really helpful. (Also I walk 2 miles a day, briskly. But I've been doing that for years.)

Thanks for the encouragement, Margerie!
Binney

Jun 20, 2006 07:41AM Chiahead wrote:

Try listening to audio books on the treadmill. I get them from my local library so they don't cost me anything. If the story is good and you want to find out what happens you have to stay on the treadmill until that chapter is over. No fair cheating and listening when not walking!

Jun 20, 2006 02:17PM NPat wrote:

Lymphedema can flair with an increase in exercise... we are all different. I always wear my garments and regularly do the "Walk Away the Pounds" aerobic walking for 45 - 60 minutes. The exercise doesn't cause any problems for me and may help contol the swelling. My LE therapist started me on weights and resistance machines... and slowly increased the weight... I didn't have an exacerbation of swelling with this activity either. The gals in Canada that do the dragon boat racing don't have any problems with the rowing... which is good exercise. There is hope for us!

http://www.lymphovenous-canada.ca/quebecdragon.htm
Pat
NPat

Jun 20, 2006 03:31PM Hattie wrote:

thanks for all the tips. Dragon boating sounds great. I guess I just take it slow and work back up to something.
Take care,
--Hattie
life is good

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)