We are 225,770 members in 82 forums discussing 158,444 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: GI Upset Following LE Drainage?

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: Jun 29, 2006 09:05AM

rrs wrote:

I know, I'm aways coming up with these crazy questions but I noticed a connection between the reduction of swelling of my arm and a "disturbance" in my GI tract (diarrhea). If all of the trash in the lymph fluid is released seems like that could cause it.

I remember when I had LE therapy, I felt a little nausea and the therapist said that that was commmon.

The swelling in my arm seems to ebb and flow and I'm trying to figure out what causes the changes. With most conditions being the same this week my arm has gone from quite swollen to almost normal. I guess I need to keep a diary to see what might influence it or am I just dreaming that I'll find a connection. Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Jun 29, 2006 10:21AM Binney4 wrote:

Not dreaming! Keeping a record has been really helpful for me (I still do it when something weird happens with the LE). It's hard to remember all the factors that can influence swelling, so when I log as many as I can think of I've always been able to see the connection. Then I can make a decision about what I'm doing and how to modify it, or whether it's worth it to me to keep it up anyway. If you keep track, here are a few things I've found that influence my swelling:

weather -- heat (especially humid heat), approaching storms (change of air pressure), prolonged cold (but I don't have to worry about that here!)

a lot of driving around, or start-and-stop driving

salt intake -- smoked turkey , chips of course, veggies cooked with bacon, pickles

not drinking enough water

bumps or bruises

exercise -- new or unusual exercises, or NOT exercising as I usually do

lifting anything unsual

a new craft activity that uses my hands in a different way

wearing myself out, getting real tired

overdoing nearly anything (grating carrots, washing windows -- have to pace myself)

sitting in one position for too long, especially if my elbows are resting on something (fluid tends to pool there)

resting my weight on my hands (like at the worktable when I'm cutting out a pattern or whatever)

tight clothes; not wearing a compression garment; compression sleeves too old and needing to be replaced

I'd be really interested to hear what other things affect LE for the rest of you. Hard to keep it all in mind when you're trying to figure it out.

I've heard of nausea from LE drainage, maybe your current problem's related too -- you could check with your therapist about that to be sure. I'm so sorry to hear it, though -- kind of unfair!

Let us know what connections you manage to make!
Binney

Jun 29, 2006 12:06PM rrs wrote:

Wow - very interesting, especially the weather change.

Thanks for the sympathy but I'll trade running to the bathroom a few times for LE any time. I didn't have manual LE drainage but just noticed that my arm had gone down. I didn't know how to phrase the title of the thread.

I'll start a log and see what I come up with.

I also remembered that I was moving books (one at a time) yesterday so maybe I should try to do some very light hand waits in a few days and see what happens.

I think drinking a lot of water and getting a lot of good sleep helps.

Thanks Binney.

Jun 29, 2006 01:47PM DoreenF wrote:

I haven't been keeping a written list - but I know some of the things that affect my LE:

• changes in weather - pressure changes (high to low - or low to high)
  • significant elevation changes - e.g. driving over a mountain pass
  • heat ... e.g. high temperatures - being near the heat of a bar-b-q for long, or outdoors in the 100+ degree weather we've got right now
  • repetitive motions with my arm... my arm and hand tire very very quickly...
  • pressure - e.g. long walk with the dogs on leashes ... usually need to switch from one dog on each side - to both leashes on my right side. washing/drying the car ... my arm/hand is pretty wimpy and tires very quickly...
  • lifting things ... I try to not do this - but its' hard since I live by myself
  • lifting/holding/carrying my friends' 7 month old baby boy ... He's soooo cute ... and I'm not going to stop this one ... I'll do extra MLD or put my night sleeve on earlier if needed

In general - I know pretty quickly when the fluid is building up ... my LE is accompanied by pain - I generally feel the pain building up before I see any swelling.

Binney - that's a long list!!!
"Cancer May Leave Your Body, but It Never Leaves Your Life" - Lance Armstrong Foundation Manifesto. Dx 4/18/2005, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 30, 2006 05:40AM inspiewriter wrote:

My therapist warned me I would "pee more" when draining, but I drink so much water I have not noticed that.

Jul 2, 2006 10:05AM sccruiser wrote:

for me it's often:
not getting to do my pool exercises
bouncing around in our truck on a rough road
getting overheated (I don't prespire so 80+ degree weather swells me up like a balloon)
chinese food (even w/out MSG)
too many bad carbos--including carbonated drinks
stress at work

and add to that all the other replies here also!

grace
One must still have chaos in oneself to give birth to a dancing star

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)