We are 225,714 members in 82 forums discussing 158,418 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: What do you do at night?

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: Jun 30, 2006 05:38AM

inspiewriter wrote:

About your arm, of course.

My therapist said I could get a "reid" sleeve but they are huge, so she has something else for me to try first.

What do you all wear at night, if anything, on your arm? Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (17 results)

Posts 1 - 17 (17 total)

Jun 30, 2006 05:53AM andys wrote:

Hi Robin,
My therapist doesn't approve of "apparatus" like the Reid sleeve, so I do the whole wrap/bandage thing. Fortunately, I've graduated to only having to bandage once or twice a week to keep the le under control. In the lymphedema support group I went to, I learned there are several different Reid sleeves (not just the classic bulky one) and a few other manufacturers of night time garments as well. The therapist who assists in running the group likes the light weight Reid sleeves (I forget what the models are called) and JoviPak - both only for mild cases of lymphedema. She knows and likes my therapist and offered to give her a call if I found that I was no longer being compliant about wrapping. Incidentally, she agrees with my therapist that wrapping is "best", but feels strongly that compliance is more important and some patients are more likely to be compliant with a night-time sleeve.

Jun 30, 2006 08:10AM DoreenF wrote:

I have a jovi-pak - and I wear it every night. It really does help... Binney uses Solaris tribute night garmets (vest and sleeves) - I think NPat use a Reid-sleeve.

The jovi-pak is also kinda big and bulky - but it works... it's a quilted looking thing that is filled with foam chips... when I take it off in the morning I can see the lymph channels on my hand and arm ... they are raised above the level of my skin ... very cool!!!

Doreen
Doreen
"Cancer May Leave Your Body, but It Never Leaves Your Life" - Lance Armstrong Foundation Manifesto. Dx 4/18/2005, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 30, 2006 08:19AM rrs wrote:

Doreen - I'm being fitted for a Jovi-pak next week. Glad to hear that you like it.

Andy - are you able to go without compression sometimes?

Jun 30, 2006 11:46AM andys wrote:

RRS - yep, I'm one of the lucky ones. I usually wear my compression all day after an evening or plane trip when I wrapped. I also wear it for a few hours almost everyday, because I try to exercise on the treadmill or go to yoga - and I wear the compression for that and for about an hour afterwords. It took a long time to get to this point - when I first tried to go without compression (for dress up events, etc.) I found that my arm started to ache within about an hour. But now, I can actually go a couple of days. I'm so greatful.

Jun 30, 2006 01:53PM jinky wrote:

Hi Everyone, I did wrap 23 hours a day for 5 weeks and now i only wrap my hand at night if i think it looks like it needs it....only maybe 1 night a week.....
don't wear sleeve at night or wrap arm as my arm is small in the morning...
wear glove 12 hours a day(with swell spot) or less and sleeve maybe 3 or 4 hours when i do anything or go to town. LE hugs jinky
age 2, grade 1, 4 chemo, 5 yrs tamoxifen, femara 48mts, preventative mastectomy 2005 Dx 4/30/2002, ILC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 30, 2006 03:50PM NPat wrote:

I wear an Opera night sleeve with a compression sleeve over it. The Opera is made by the Reid sleeve people and is not as bulky. I really like it... and with time the foam molds to my arm and is not as stiff. If I have swelling in the evening, it is gone by morning. The Opera has a foam waffle core that acts like lymph channels facilitating lymph flow and drainage.
Pat
NPat

Jul 1, 2006 03:13AM AmyE wrote:

Hi Pat,
I just started with an Opera night sleeve recently. I'm glad to hear that it molds to your arm eventually, because right now it seems very stiff. I'm having a hard time getting a restful night's sleep, whereas I adjusted to sleeping with a bandaged arm much easier. Did you have this experience?
Amy

Jul 1, 2006 06:14AM inspiewriter wrote:

Quote:
RRS - yep, I'm one of the lucky ones. I usually wear my compression all day after an evening or plane trip when I wrapped. I also wear it for a few hours almost everyday, because I try to exercise on the treadmill or go to yoga - and I wear the compression for that and for about an hour afterwords. It took a long time to get to this point - when I first tried to go without compression (for dress up events, etc.) I found that my arm started to ache within about an hour. But now, I can actually go a couple of days. I'm so greatful.

Happy birthday!!!

Jul 1, 2006 06:10PM NPat wrote:

Amy,
The bandages were more comfortable... you are right... but after time the Opera does become more pliable. My LE therapist recommended that I make an effort to bend my arm with the Opera on to make it more flexible. I just got a new Opera and it is tighter... only because the foam in the old one became too compacted. It will get better, Amy. Sometimes I get a bit hot in it and wake up with the dog sleeping next to it.
Pat
NPat

Jul 2, 2006 09:46AM sccruiser wrote:

Hi,
I have truncal LE & arm LE. I wear a Jovi & power sleeve/jacket on my arm, and a vest +power jacket on my trunk. Also have jovi mitt/jacket for hand. Works great! I too can see the channels like you do Doreen. I know I can make it through the day when I do!
If I wake up in middle of night, I can take arm & hand one off. Still see slightly raised channels in am. I also have Kinesio taping of my belly, helps to keep lymph drained even more.
You might ask about the powerlight type Jovi. I have one for my breast, and just ordered one from my trunk--it'll be like a cumberbund. I'll be able to wear it during the day. I'll keep you posted to see if it helps even more (and maybe I can get to just wearing that at night). Thinking about asking for a powerlight for my arm too.
Insurance paid for the equipment I have now.
take care,
grace
One must still have chaos in oneself to give birth to a dancing star

Jul 3, 2006 02:07PM inspiewriter wrote:

Hey everyone,

My therapist just gave me 2 elasticized cottony sleeves to wear at night in place of the bandages. She said if that works I won't need to order the Reid Sleeve.

Anyone do that?

Jul 3, 2006 08:14PM Jennifer wrote:

I have a reid sleeve and yes it's bulky but I can see a difference if I wear this as opposed to just wrapping. Now I did just get some paddings and such because I do like to wrap sometimes because of comfort. I would be intersted in something lighter weight but with the same results (or better) as my reid sleeve.

Jennifer

Jul 3, 2006 08:40PM rrs wrote:

Andy - I'm so happy for you. But I think it may have been more than just luck. I remember reading about all of the hard work you did to get where you are now. It was inspiring to know that there is hope.

Jul 4, 2006 12:21PM Binney4 wrote:

Grace, can you describe the power light thingy you have for your breast and the one you're ordering for your chest? Went to their web site and couldn't find anything like that, and it sounds promising. Always looking for new ways of living with this.

Thanks!
Binney

Jul 6, 2006 04:22AM jinky wrote:

Hi Inspie,
Wondering how the elasticized cottony sleeve worked at night? If it worked where do you get them? Thanks jinky
age 2, grade 1, 4 chemo, 5 yrs tamoxifen, femara 48mts, preventative mastectomy 2005 Dx 4/30/2002, ILC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 6, 2006 08:17AM inspiewriter wrote:

Quote:
Hi Inspie,
Wondering how the elasticized cottony sleeve worked at night? If it worked where do you get them? Thanks jinky

Well, I think it's working well. The first night I used the normal thin sleeve, a layer of the felt-stuff, then 2 "tubular" sleeves --which are elasticized cotton (but very thin!). I took one off during the night, it was actually too much compression.

My therapist needs to give me ordering info on these--the 2 I have she just supplied during my session. It sure seems a lot less (money and trouble) than getting one of the special night sleeves.

I will keep measuring and as long as nothing swells up, I will stay with the Tubular night sleeve. I will post ordering info when I get it.

Jul 6, 2006 01:48PM sccruiser wrote:

Hi Binney,
I thought it was Jovi. The one for my breast is a black lightweight silky cotton (a little shiny) and the foam fill is much smaller in size. It's kind of like the quilted fabric (thickness that is) that you find on women's jackets.
The one for around my waist is like a cumberbund, and I don't have it yet, but should in 2 weeks.
When I see the LE therapist I'll ask her what you should look under. All the night and day time Jovis she has ordered for me have been custom. She's quite skilled at designing and drafting the patterns and has a good networking relationship with the patternmaker for Jovi.
Does this help or do you need add'l info?
grace
One must still have chaos in oneself to give birth to a dancing star

Page 1 of 1 (17 results)