Join Us

We are 216,686 members in 84 forums discussing 160,147 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Back with current Flexitouch update

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: Jul 1, 2006 05:44PM

trixiegram wrote:

AGGGH! I had almost finished my post and it disappeared! this is my third try! Geesh that ticks me off. Let's hope this time it works.

I am sorry to have taken so long to post back here. Been trying to catch up on boards and at home, since getting back use of my left arm.. Gee it is nice not to have both arms tied behind me! <G>

Anyway, wanted to update you on the Flexitouch experience. A wonderful lady came out and fitted it to me and showed me how to work it. I never would have been able to do it by myself, even with two good arms. You have to request that someone come and fit and demo it for you - otherwise, you just get a DVD and booklet with instructions. Trust me, you want someone to come and help you figure it out the first time. I was so fortunate - the lady who came out was also a multi certified LE and PT therapist. She gave me great pointers on lots of stuff I wouldn't have gotten from reg. rep. She said she does her therapy sessions fulltime and does this on the side. Said she reps this product because she has seen it help people and has seen the damage that reg. pumps have done to people's lymphatic systems. I could be wrong but I don't think she is shining me on - she seems genuine.

Every time I have used it, I have fallen asleep - it is so relaxing. Tommie has to help me get into the sleeve and torso part of the garments. It would be a challenge, even with two good arms. It would be possible but not easy. It isn't as easy as the video makes it look. That person had been using it for year or more and had all that time to practice putting it on.

It is too soon to tell what kind of difference it is making. My LE therapist said that even with professional MLD, you have ebb and flow, in regard to swelling going up and down. That as long as it doesn't go up too much then it is ok. Said it would take a month or two, of measuring each week to see a difference in right direction.

As for the cost. Hmmmn. If the insurance doesn't pay, I can't afford it. Because my ins. is only one that doesn't pre authorize it, Flexitouch sent it to me to use while waiting for a yea or nay from the ins. co. - knowing full well it will probably take 3 or 4 months to hear one way or another from ins. I have been so fortunate all the way thru this - this all came about after I hurt my shoulder and didn't know what I was going to do. I truly have been blessed. Without this, I don't know how I would manage - especially after they do the surgery, as I will be immobilized for at least 4 or 6 weeks. Makes you think, doesn't it?

If you have any questions, I will try and answer or try and find out for you from the Flexitouch people. They have been super thru all of this. Very hands on type people and very willing to work with you. Not trying to sell you on anything - just relaying my experience, thus far.

Will try and keep up better now from now on.

Niki

Your life can be a parade. Just watch out for the elephants bringing up the rear!