Join Us

We are 216,859 members in 84 forums discussing 160,262 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: what dr do you call

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: Jul 2, 2006 01:39PM

Dawnt wrote:

if you think you have lymphedema who do you call? My hand is swollen but doesnt hurt.I thought I should call the dr but is it the surgeon,onco or family dr. Thanks

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Jul 2, 2006 03:07PM azdarleen wrote:

Hi dawnt, when I first had an idea I may have LE I called my breast Doc and she sent me to a LE therapist.
Keep us posted
Darleen

Jul 2, 2006 03:07PM NPat wrote:

You asked a good question. You call the one that you feel you are able to communicate with the best. Any of your physicians, NP's or PA's can order LE evaluation or treatment. The problem is that so many of them don't recognize LE as a problem. My surgeon ordered LE treatment for me... he was very proactive (before he retired...). My current surgeon thinks LE is "normal" after breast surgery. My oncologists and PCP now send patients for LE therapy... partly because I have been vocal about how much I appreciated the original surgeon because he got me the care I needed and how much LE needs to be aggressively treated... I work for my PCP and she sees me everyday with my garments. I order LE evaluation and treatment and will jump at the chance to help other LE patients to get the care they need.
Pat
NPat

Jul 3, 2006 04:29AM sccruiser wrote:

My surgeon and/or my pain management doc will make a referral to LE therapist anytime I request. They seem to regard me as the "expert" on LE and what I need. Feel I'm educating them. I agree with Pat, LE needs to be treated very aggressively!
grace
One must still have chaos in oneself to give birth to a dancing star

Jul 3, 2006 04:59AM Lhunhen wrote:

This is a very good question and one I have thought of to. So far I am doing ok and no signs of LE (had surgery in April) but you never know. I had thought that I would contact my surgeon to see who she recommends. I'm sure they get calls alot on this and have some references to give.

I feel that any swelling on the side that you had your lymphs removed should be looked at.

Best wishes.
Cathy

Jul 3, 2006 06:58AM Mena wrote:

Who you gonna call? Ghostbusters! hahahaha....sorry I couldn't resist...You've already gotten great advice. I wish you well...Mena...xo

Dx 8/8/2004, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, 1/20 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 3, 2006 07:25AM Dawnt wrote:

thanks for the answers. Mena ...thanks for the laugh!!!

Jul 4, 2006 09:13AM NPat wrote:

Mena,
You are sooo funny... Geee, we get too darn serious sometimes. I was sharing with a new a LE therapist about my fight with my old Juzo garments and a sun shade (the thingy that you put in the windshield of the car). I had just gotten the new glove and sleeve... went out to my car and attempted to take the sun shield down. The darn velcro strap on the shield got wrapped around my wrist and I ended up boxing with the shield in my car before I got loose. It won. You should have seen my new snaggy garments. BioConcepts garments aren't as snaggy... thank God!
Pat
NPat

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)