We are 225,714 members in 82 forums discussing 158,418 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Good News X 2

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: Jul 4, 2006 12:22PM

NPat wrote:

I was in Sunday school Sunday and one of the class memebers mentioned that at the therapy office she works there is a newly certified lymphedema therapist... a PTA. He came by Monday and I was able to meet him... very enthusiastic.... brought his certificate... Vodder trained. I then called a patient that I wanted to refer to him and she said she wanted to finish the aquatic therapy I had referred her to attend... but mentioned that a niece of one of her fellow aquatic therapy participants is an OT and is a certified LE therapist at a local Health South office. I called her and she has been certified for one year but unable to do much with LE because until recently she was the only OT in that office. Now, there is another OT and she can take up LE therapy. So, in one day we went from 1 certified therapist to 3! Gosh, now there should be no excuse in this town for poor access to care. We just have to train the healthcare providers to recognize LE.
Pat
NPat

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Jul 4, 2006 12:38PM RobinTN wrote:

Pat
that is great news,and I know a relief for you.Congrats!!!
Robin....."I wont back down".... Dx 11/3/2004, IBC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 1/9 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 4, 2006 02:36PM inspiewriter wrote:

Very good!

My therapist has a trainee working with her and I told her how great it was that new people are entering the field!

Jul 5, 2006 09:32AM sccruiser wrote:

That's great Pat!
You mentioned the Vodder method. Does anyone know what the controversy is about? I've been told not to see massage therapists trained in the Vodder method, as it could further damage my lymphatic drainage.
Anyone know anything about this?
grace
ps perhaps I am hijacking the thread, and I don't mean to. Let me know if I should start a new thread.
One must still have chaos in oneself to give birth to a dancing star

Jul 5, 2006 11:17AM Binney4 wrote:

Hi, Pat and grace,
Me too, Pat! My therapist, Jane, just got a new colleague who just finished the Vodder course. I'm so delighted when I see new people discovering this field and going for it. Neat people, too.

grace, as if we didn't have enough trouble -- what with the doctors not knowing where to send us for the LE (or even being able to diagnose it very well) and the field having no enforced national standards that insure we're treated by well-trained and experienced therapists -- the various therapy training schools all seem to use different massage hand motions, different therapy schedules, and sometimes different terminology. Every one of them is absolutely right and the best there is, so any one of them will likely tell you everybody else is a quack. Vodder is actually the oldest methodology (which is a bragging point for the Vodder sorts and a reason for everybody else to call them out-of-date). You get the idea. Where I live we even have one therapist who has been to just about every school there is and claims one system works best for one person, another system for another, so she's actually the best because she knows all of them (she didn't graduate from any of them, by the way). Most of the therapists here seem to be trying to get along with each other, though there are a couple of schools that seem to be on the outs with everybody.

I think it will help when the states pass legislation mandating universal standards for therapists. At the moment anybody with a week's training can hang out a shingle, so it's understandable (maybe not excusable, but understandable) that the therapists all feel they have to defend their own brand of therapy.

Another part of this problem is that we ourselves have to do a lot of experimenting around to see what works for us, and there are also (fortunately!) new research ideas being tested all the time.

Seems to be a matter of being our own advocates. Worldwide, the Vodder-trained therapists have an exceptional reputation, and they tend to pride themselves on it and be a bit elitist with the other therapists. Hard feelings, but there are several schools that all achieve good results with their patients. The NLN has a listing of "approved" schools based on their ability to meet the LANA training standards. If you're curious you can find them at www.lymphnet.org . All of them are capable of turning out good therapists, and all of us (very fortunately!) are capable of figuring out whether or not our own therapist is getting the results we want. If not, hey! As NPat notes in this thread, there are more and more therapists coming forward to meet the need.

Good thing, too!

Binney
P.S. -- Jane's comment on all this: "We've all got our own snake oil. If mine works for you, then great!"

Jul 5, 2006 05:51PM NPat wrote:

Well said, Binney. My therapist, Adrienne, and the OT I spoke with went to the Academy of Lymphatic Studies in Sebastian, FL. Adrienne is tops in my book. The different training programs all have their special procedures. Adrienne's magic touch took care of me and I will always be thankful. I am just thrilled that we now have 3 different individuals in our aread to provide us with care. My concern is getting the medical providers on board.
Pat
NPat

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)