Join Us

We are 217,485 members in 84 forums discussing 160,589 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: waterskiing

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: Aug 13, 2006 11:50PM

alexa61 wrote:

I went with friends yesterday, waterskiing. I used to waterski alot and really enjoy it. I was tempted to take a turn but did not dare because of the lurking threat of lymphedema. Has anyone been waterskiing? Do you think that if I primarily use my unaffected arm to pull that it would be OK? While I'm at it here, I might as well ask about hangliding. Turned down an invite recently for that too. Has anyone been hangliding?

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Aug 14, 2006 01:44AM NPat wrote:

I am lousy at waterskiing and too chicken to hang-glide. I would think that the stress on the arm could cause a LE flair... then again if you are in condition and have progressively done some weight bearing exercise... your risk would be lessened. I wouldn't do any of this without a sleeve. The reason why I don't say, "No!" is... darn it... if these are activities you enjoy then you should pursue ways of participating in them that reduce your risk. Quality of life is important. I love to garden and still trim my pyracantha (sp)... I am more careful and avoid the thorns.

Is there a certified lymphedema therapist in your area? You could get a consult to tim/her and see what suggestions they may have. Also, our resident expert, Binney, can contribute her wisdom. Binneyyyyy!!!!!

Pat
NPat

Aug 14, 2006 07:06AM Texgirl wrote:

I just returned from a lake vacation in late June . I waterskiied for the first time in 2 yrs. Did great ! Got up on the 1st try and didn't fall. I actually felt like a normal woman for a change ! I will say that I have been working out at the gym w/ a trainer and have advanced from a 1 lb free wt. to a 15 lb free wt. in the year and a half since dx. I believe that this has allowed me to go lymphadema free for so long...and I had a dissection and 22 nodes removed . So good luck to you..I am not going to do anything stupid but I am going to let the BC rule my life either....

Dx 2/8/2005, ILC/IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, 22/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 14, 2006 08:11AM Binney4 wrote:

Hi, Alexa, glad to hear from you again. As I recall you had an OT who was treating the LE, right? Was she, in fact, a qualified LE therapist, and did you do the wrapping and fitting for compression garments? I'm thinking that if you did, you might ask her about using the garments for waterskiing and hang gliding. If you've learned the massage and all your self-treatment options, then you're in a good position to experiment a bit with the things you love. And of course as Letha points out, your level of fitness will matter to the outcome.

Let us know!
Binney

Aug 14, 2006 04:21PM alexa61 wrote:

Thanks NPat, Letha and Binney for your replies. I'm glad that you did not give me a definite no! Yes Binney, my OT was a qualified lymphedema therapist and calmed me down quite a bit with regards to my lymphedema. I did have a little tiny bit (which would not have been noticed if it were not for my arms having been measured). Since going to her, I have not had any problems. I am also in better shape now since I have been doing the eliptical trainer. i suppose I am a bit worried that the boat will yank my arm. I suppose though if I primarily use my good arm, I wouldn't have to worry. What did you do Letha? Did you use one arm more than the other? Congrats on getting back out into the lake! Must have been an exhilerating feeling!

Sep 7, 2006 08:27AM RunLolaRun wrote:

hey. I don't think waterskiing would be a problem. Somebody on this site turned me on to dragon boating for breast cancer survivors, which is basically rowing in crew teams (fast, as in competitive). If we can row, we can waterski! Exercise is good for bc survivors...!
Read about it dragon boat teams here:
http://www.geocities.com/machesticdragons/

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)