Join Us

We are 217,485 members in 84 forums discussing 160,589 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: swelling in breast after lumpectomy

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: Sep 3, 2006 03:02PM

applebar wrote:

Hi -- question to anyone out there - I had a lumpectomy and snb on 8/24 -- snb was neg (3 nodes removed) I have to have a re-excision as margins weren't all clear (to be done 9/7) I have been completely comfortable until this fri - 8 days after surgery. Breast fells full (like I need to nurse on that side haha) I think it is fluid - not red or hot though -- is this from regular healing or is it the start of a lymphedema problem. Arm seems fine though. I see the surgeon tues anyway - just pondering this over the long weekend Thanks, Mary Ann

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Sep 3, 2006 07:01PM PJB wrote:

I would think that probably is too early for it to be lymphedema and probably is related to your surgery. Could be a seroma. Glad you'll be seeing your surgeon shortly to sort it out.

Hope it eases up during the long weekend.

Paula
May 2004, Stage 2 IDC. Recurrence in 2005. On Femara til mets diagnosis in Feb 2009. On Faslodex 8/11. Brain mets in April 2012. Progression in liver 6/12. On to Etoposide. Dx mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 3, 2006 07:04PM Sige wrote:

Do you have a drain or drains Mary Ann? If you don't have a drain, this could just be a build up of fluid (I had this happen to me after my surgical biopsy).

It's a good thing that it isn't red or hot! I guess you need to follow your gut instinct...if it feels "wrong" get it checked out.

Hugs
Peggy
"Religion is about creation, and for that reason religion should be about the earth." - Laurie Cabot Surgery 3/24/2006 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Dx 4/3/2006, DCIS, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 7/31/2006 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 9/21/2006

Sep 4, 2006 03:32AM Ontario wrote:

My breast was swollen for about 6 months after my lumpectomy. My surgeon told me it was perfectly normal but if I hadn't spoken to him about it I would have been concerned too. Its a good sign that it is not red or hot. Most definitly bring it up when you see him tomorrow. If it really bothers you try wrapping an ice pack and putting it on for 10 minutes to get some relief.
Hang in there
Wanda Dx 12/12/2005, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/26 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 4, 2006 03:29PM inspiewriter wrote:

Quote:
My breast was swollen for about 6 months after my lumpectomy. My surgeon told me it was perfectly normal but if I hadn't spoken to him about it I would have been concerned too. Its a good sign that it is not red or hot. Most definitly bring it up when you see him tomorrow. If it really bothers you try wrapping an ice pack and putting it on for 10 minutes to get some relief.
Hang in there

Mine too, after the 3rd surgery--but the surgeon warned me she'd left the fluid in (no drain this time) in order to keep the skin stretched out for awhile.

Maybe give your doc a call?

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)