Join Us

We are 217,485 members in 84 forums discussing 160,589 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: just came from therapy

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: Sep 7, 2006 06:01AM

Dawnt wrote:

it was my 1st visit.I start next week with 10 visits in a row.She said it involves a 45 minute arm massage(which sounds good to me) & then some exercises.She said my arm wasnt too bad.

Page 1 of 1 (19 results)

Posts 1 - 19 (19 total)

Sep 7, 2006 07:58AM inspiewriter wrote:

Doesn't sound bad. That's about what I had--I think it was 10 or so visits, some had the massage, then she showed me how to do it.

Sep 7, 2006 11:33AM Dawnt wrote:

I think the massage sounds good to me.I like having someone wait on me lol

Sep 7, 2006 10:45PM inspiewriter wrote:

LOL. Unfortunately it's a really light touch--not deep enough to be very relaxing. Still, it's more fun than doing it yourself : )

Sep 7, 2006 11:19PM TracyNY wrote:

I had my first session at Memorial Sloan Kettering on Wednesday. She wrapped me and told me to keep it on until Friday but I couldn't, it was driving me mad. I took the bandages off and my arm was way down. I was delighted.

I spoke to the therapist this morning and she told me that if I continue wrapping for a year it should be okay. Massage at MSK costs $115 for 15 minutes. I have an hour scheduled every day next week. They'd better be serving breakfast for that money!!
I'm going to live until I die

Sep 8, 2006 07:41AM inspiewriter wrote:

TaDah,

Did you see if they will accept your insurance? I picked a hand center that took Blue Cross.

Sep 8, 2006 12:37PM TracyNY wrote:

Quote:
TaDah,

Did you see if they will accept your insurance? I picked a hand center that took Blue Cross.

It is out of network and my insurance reimburses 70%. I am trying to find out if it is out of area, meaning that there are no therapists within a 30 mile radius of my home that are on my plan. If I can get the therapy designated out of area then they pay 90%.

Sep 8, 2006 01:50PM Binney4 wrote:

Hi, Dawn,

My therapist made a point of making the massage relaxing, turning down the lights and all. Gotta say, after all we go through with the bc, a condition where the treatment involves NO surgery and NO drugs is not all bad! When I started I couldn't believe the gentle kitten-petting massage was going to do any good at all, but I was pleasantly surprised. Even now if things get out of hand I can't imagine that a bit of extra massage will fix it again, but it does. Nice! I'd suggest that, if she hasn't mentioned wrapping, you ask her to teach you that as well. It's excellent for reducing the swelling initially and it's a skill you'll need if you travel by air or if you mess up and have to get the swelling down again. Let us know how it goes next week!

Ta-Dah, I'm not understanding your therapist's point about wrapping for a year and then being okay. Any swelling you now have shouldn't take a year to get under control, but after a year it's not going to go away for good either. Once we develop LE it's a lifetime consideration, though certainly some of us can skip wearing compression garments or wrapping from time to time without ill effects.

That 30% sounds like a lot! LE is pricey, for sure, what with bandages and garments and lotions and potions for keeping our skin fit, etc. Bummer! Sure hope you get it down to the 10%. Insurance -- aaugh!

So glad to hear the wrapping was so effective for you so quickly. Kind of neat, huh! Keep us posted on your progress,
Binney

Sep 8, 2006 05:39PM mags wrote:

Hi ladies, I still pop off and have a massage now and then even though my lymphedema is under control. Keep thinking that it can't hurt to do it and obviously it helps.
This should be in the stupidest things people say section - a nice sweet old guy at work has decided that I have ' formed an attatchment with my glove and don't want to get rid of it'. If this were only true lol.
Hugs
Mags

Sep 10, 2006 12:24AM TracyNY wrote:

Quote:
Ta-Dah, I'm not understanding your therapist's point about wrapping for a year and then being okay. Any swelling you now have shouldn't take a year to get under control, but after a year it's not going to go away for good either. Once we develop LE it's a lifetime consideration, though certainly some of us can skip wearing compression garments or wrapping from time to time without ill effects.

She was saying that it would take about a year for the body to adjust itself to the wrapping and create new pathways for the lymph to flow. It would take some time for the results to have some permanence.

I was teasing her by telling her I was better and wouldn't come to treatment next week. I understand that its a chronic condition but since I caught it early I can expect some good results.

Sep 10, 2006 01:53AM Binney4 wrote:

Yes, you can expect good results! Thanks for the explanation -- makes sense and it's a good thought to hold onto. I love your spirit -- you make me smile.
Binney

Sep 12, 2006 04:59AM TracyNY wrote:

I am loving this massage thing!! I don't see how I can enjoy it when I have to do it to myself. My arm has gone down considerably and today we measured for the sleeve and glove.

Insurance seems to have no-one on the network that treats LE so I only pay 10% instead of 30%, sweet!!

Sep 12, 2006 11:24AM Dawnt wrote:

I start mine on Thursday.

Sep 13, 2006 12:17AM inspiewriter wrote:

Quote:
Hi ladies, I still pop off and have a massage now and then even though my lymphedema is under control.Mags

So when did you decide it was enough under control? I've decided that day-wrapping isn't making any difference (except for housework/exercise) but wrap with extra elastic sleeving at night.

I definitely feel it's under control-- but if I were waiting for my hand to be compeletely as slim as before, I doubt it will every happen.

Sep 13, 2006 12:43AM andys wrote:

It took over a year, but with bandaging every night and wearing the sleeve/glove every day, my left hand looks just like my skinny, veiny right hand. My therapist did say that hand/finger swelling was the hardest to manage.

Sep 14, 2006 12:13AM inspiewriter wrote:

Thanks Andy. My therapist said the same--esp back of the hand.

Sep 14, 2006 01:07AM TracyNY wrote:

My therapist made me a little doohickey cut from foam to fit my knuckle spaces so when I wrap with it in place it clears between the knuckles so my hand doesn't look like a fat ball of wax!!

Sep 16, 2006 09:45AM Dawnt wrote:

mine did the same thing.With all those bandages it makes my arm look huge.I do like the massage

Sep 16, 2006 10:05PM TracyNY wrote:

This wrapping thing is like a part time job!! It took me 20 minutes last night and I had to undo it because my fingers were falling asleep!!

I am trying to find out how to get the right tension. I have the figure eight thing down pat though.

Sep 17, 2006 03:21AM inspiewriter wrote:

Quote:
mine did the same thing.With all those bandages it makes my arm look huge.I do like the massage

I was wrapped 24/7 with the bandages for the first 2 weeks, and I have to tell you, it was the only time people in public places stayed away from my arm. People are always bumping into me, but when you are wrapped, they must think you are burned or broken and they make way. Just one small benefit.

Page 1 of 1 (19 results)