Join Us

We are 217,485 members in 84 forums discussing 160,589 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Regular massages??

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: Sep 9, 2006 01:29PM

inspiewriter wrote:

Anyone go for a regular Swedish massage after learning you have LE??

Dh and I used to go to resorts with golf for him, and I would go to the spa. Pedicures and foot reflexology are no problem. But I am wondering about getting a back massage. Would that affect my arm's LE??

I don't get manicures anymore since all this. <sigh> I can't get facials because I have Rosacea.

Running out of things to have done at the spa!! Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Sep 13, 2006 03:29PM rrs wrote:

I used to get massage often prior to LE - it didn't seem to contribute to me getting it but I don't know. I think overdoing it with my arm and a pilates move that I shouldn't have done caused the swelling. I've had massage since but I ask that she try to go easy on the area that drains into my right side. The massage I get is very gentle with no deep tissue work. I haven't gone in a long time and think I might try it again. Thanks for reminding me!

Sep 13, 2006 06:28PM mkl48 wrote:

Hi,
Wondering why no manicures? My onc never mentioned they were a problem.

Sep 14, 2006 06:11AM inspiewriter wrote:

Manicures were the first thing I was warned about--when they trim your cuticles and file your nails you can get tiny nicks in the skin, and get an infection. Any nicks or cuts can bring more lymph fluids into your arms. (oh, and it wasn't any of my docs who warned me--it was this website and books!)

Sep 14, 2006 08:25AM burns_la wrote:

I haven't had any problems with "regular" massages - and don't they feel wonderful! I don't have SERIOUS le, I do self massage in the shower (almost) every time and it keeps things in check. You have hit on the one positive in my whole bc experience - I am now on disability thanks to this wonderful experience, and have a Medicare insurance (even tho' I'm WAY WAY WAY to young to be on Medicare (51 years young). The plan I have includes nine massages a year! If I knew how to spell Hallelujah!!!!

Laura from Oregon. On the way to my "new normal." I will never be totally free of the worry, but will no longer be defined by it. Dx 12/31/2003, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 15, 2006 03:43AM andys wrote:

Some spas have therapists trained in lymphatic drainage techniques - it's a fairly common technique for Europeans (even those who don't know what lymphedema is). When I went to a spa in February (a prize I had won), the massage therapist had actually trained at the Vodder institute. She was planning on going back to become fully certified as a therapist, but she definitely knew what she was doing. So, it's worth a try asking.

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)